Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 08:16 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times

Advertisements

I had never visited Memphis (driven through it maybe 8-10 times) but a couple days ago I arrived here for work and exploring, for just a few days.

I walked around south Main and am incredibly impressed at the level of development that has recently happened--or is happening. It is such a clean area in this part of downtown, and it feels alive and "in" and happening, although it does not seem bustling at all.

Walked up Main Street to the tallest building in Memphis, 100 North Main, and see that it is completely vacant, but was talking to a guy who lives in the Exchange Building and he said it was going to be redeveloped for a mixed use of apartments, hotel and possible office, so it's great that this is in the works. A shame to see the tallest tower sitting in a decaying state. Also, the area to the east of North Main has several vacant buildings as well, and that area just seems somewhat sketchy. I imagine the public housing projects adjacent to the interstate contribute to this lack of development and progress in this part of downtown? Honestly, this part of downtown reminded me of parts of Detroit, with all of its vacant high rises.

Memphis has so much going on downtown redevelopment-wise, I imagine this area is the last to feel the effects of it, but I'd think it will arrive there in the next year or two, with the way progress is headed in downtown.

All in all, I hope the One Beale Development comes together and actually happens, as well as the redevelopment of all of these vacant towers. Memphis seems on a roll finally, and hoping it keeps going so this area can revitalize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 11:59 AM

329 posts, read 635,598 times
That end of Downtown is about to experience a multi-billion dollar investment from the city, state, and St. Jude
It's a long time coming because the contrast between the north end of downtown and the southern side is a difference. That side havent heavily been invested until recently.

Check this article and the two videos on it if you're interested into what's in plan.

Bicentennial Gateway Project plans to revitalize Pinch District, St. Jude and surrounding areas | WREG.com

Old 10-06-2017, 12:08 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
FWIW, Memphis has demolished/in process of demolishing all of its old housing projects. For better or worse, and I very much do not want to debate the underlying strategy or politics here, we've entered a new age of government sponsored housing. The buildings that comprised the former Lauderdale Courts have been repurposed and are no longer projects.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
That end of Downtown is about to experience a multi-billion dollar investment from the city, state, and St. Jude
It's a long time coming because the contrast between the north end of downtown and the southern side is a difference. That side havent heavily been invested until recently.

Check this article and the two videos on it if you're interested into what's in plan.

Bicentennial Gateway Project plans to revitalize Pinch District, St. Jude and surrounding areas | WREG.com
That's really great. I was just reading an article about the "Pinch District" development this morning. Hopefully that will all happen soon and bring a much needed life into that part of Memphis. It would be incredible once the trolley's get rolling again as well.

It's so interesting because walking up Main Street gets super sketchy as soon as the 100 North Main Building property is about 100 yards away. I hope this gets renovated and lands a hotel/residential tenant asap.

I also read that One Beale is happening, but a property purchase is slowing down the process of actual shovels in the ground. This project really has moved at a snail's pace, so it will be incredible to see an actual high rise over 300 feet pop up on the Memphis skyline. I think this will be the tallest one built since the Morgan Keegan Tower from back in like 87/88?

Old 10-06-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
FWIW, Memphis has demolished/in process of demolishing all of its old housing projects. For better or worse, and I very much do not want to debate the underlying strategy or politics here, we've entered a new age of government sponsored housing. The buildings that comprised the former Lauderdale Courts have been repurposed and are no longer projects.
Really fascinating--I think a lot of cities and communities seem to be doing this....

Old 10-09-2017, 11:17 AM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
Good to hear your opinion. As a former resident of East Tennessee now living in Memphis, I know some East TN folks can automatically write off Memphis without even visiting.

I agree with your thoughts on North Main. I live in the South Main area and the only time I go there is for court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: