Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 10:38 AM

9 posts, read 23,107 times

Advertisements

i think it's a great thing. i think that the main racist in memphis is mayor herenton. he fuels the fire. i am not a racist and i am trying to raise my kid not to be one, but with someone like that in office saying that whites aren't anything but a bunch of racists, it's hard no teach your kids not to judge someone by the color of their skin. not all whites are racists and not all blacks are, but you couldn't tell anyone visiting memphis that because this town breeds hate. i think that we should all come together and make memphis a better place for our children. someone needs to start thinking about THEIR future. i am GRATEFUL that Herenton will be leaving because he wasn't doing anything good anyway. and let's hope, for the children's sake, that he doesn't become superintendent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 05:05 PM

185 posts, read 964,377 times
King Willie is relinquishing his thrown? What's the catch?

Interesting Poll that was opened by the Commercial Appeal last night.

Is Mayor Willie Herenton's resignation good for the city of Memphis?
Yes 91% 2597 votes
No 8% 237 votes
2834 total votes

Poll: Is Mayor Willie Herenton's resignation good for the city of Memphis? : News : Commercial Appeal

Apparently most of his supporters don't own a computer or have internet access. I'm with the overwhelming majority, hoping that we can have a new major who is a little less racist, will reduce our property taxes and sales taxes, and help promote relocation of big business to Memphis. I'm OK with the annexing he did though, expanding Memphis should be a good thing for those already living in Memphis, in the long run.

Last edited by simcity; 03-21-2008 at 05:16 PM..

Old 03-21-2008, 07:45 PM

518 posts, read 2,006,980 times
Post When I lived in Memphis.......

I got the distinct feeling that Mr. Herenton felt as though he was above the law......no matter what. For him to actually resign there must be a really good reason.......He always seemed to enjoy being King of Memphis. It would be so nice for people to work together for the actual good of the city.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:28 PM

7,099 posts, read 8,868,469 times
Simcity,

Your comments are offensive and ignorant. Most of Herentons supporters have no respect for iresponsible journalism. Therefore their polls have no merrit because they don't represent the entire region. Just look at the last election results.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:02 PM

774 posts, read 2,573,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Simcity,

Your comments are offensive and ignorant. Most of Herentons supporters have no respect for iresponsible journalism. Therefore their polls have no merrit because they don't represent the entire region. Just look at the last election results.

You mean the results that said 6 out of 10 voters voted for someone besides Herenton?

Old 03-21-2008, 10:41 PM

185 posts, read 964,377 times
Quote:
Simcity,

Arrrgh! I reread my post. Concerning the sentence "King Willie is relinquishing his thrown?", thrown should have been spelled throne. Please excuse my ignorance.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcity View Post
Arrrgh! I reread my post. Concerning the sentence "King Willie is relinquishing his thrown?", thrown should have been spelled throne. Please excuse my ignorance.
I didn't think twice about your spelling. Just the ignorance of the statement. Willie Herenton has never considered himself king Willie. Memphians always want to "twang out" something and think of ignorant nick names that people don't want to be called.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:27 PM

340 posts, read 1,308,445 times
Quote:
I didn't think twice about your spelling. Just the ignorance of the statement. Willie Herenton has never considered himself king Willie. Memphians always want to "twang out" something and think of ignorant nick names that people don't want to be called.
Yeah, those crazy Memphians always giving other people nicknames they don't want to be called. As I read the Commercial Appeal today and saw the clever names (Little Loc, Picklehead), my first thought was there go dem haters again. Shake'em off, WW! Shake'em off, Mjt! Shake'em off Little Loc! Shake'em off, Picklehead (wait, you're dead, you can't shake anything).

It's fine if you like the mayor. It's fine if you are one of the 40% who voted for him in the last election. But if you really think he didn't consider himself like a king, then would you consider that his divine appointment by God to lead Memphis could be equated with European Monarchs of old who claimed divine right to their kingdoms?

I don't live in Memphis proper, but everyone in this area has a stake in the well being of the city. I'm not sure who will take over next, but it would be quite a chore to make things worse in the city. I figure whoever comes in has about a 20% chance of reducing crime, bettering the schools, and stopping the outmigration of business and the tax base. Herenton had no chance, so the odds are better today than they were a few days ago.

Now, let's just hope he goes as he said he would. I say give him the Superintendent job, then fire him a week later after he has left the Mayor's office.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:08 PM

Southerners have a really bad time of putting God on the same level as politics. Its not just a Willie Herenton thing. Its a southern thing. I guess thats the reason everyone calls it the bible belt.

Memphis is the way it is because of Memphians. We could have the best mayor that ever lived. Until Memphians get themselves straight, both blacks and whites, this town is going to continue to be the way it is. Everyone is looking to blame someone else for their problems. There are many issues that Herenton isn't responsible for. Take the high forclosure rate. Or the lack of business savy or the racism. White people are racist because they choose to be. Blacks are racist because they choose to be. Not because of Herenton. Memphians have bad work ethic because they are ignorant not because of Herenton.

Just like some blacks in the city have the "blame the white man mentality". White people have the "blame the black man mentality" just as bad, if not worse.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:58 AM

518 posts, read 2,006,980 times
Question Huh?

Putting God on the same level as politics?
Do you not think it possible for someone to come in and actually make Memphis better?
All southern cities are not the same. Memphis needs an actual leader.....not another person who is corrupt and looks the other way when he is taking advantage of his position as major. The problem is......is there anyone out there who WANTS the responsibility of cleaning up the massive city problems who is clean themselves and won't shortchange the people of Memphis?
I agree with the person who says that as soon as Herenton leaves the office, Memphis improves at that second. There have been too many years of the same old corrupt ways.........A Change will do ya good! It would have to be a STRONG leader, that's for sure and there aren't too many of those left!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis