Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:14 AM

309 posts, read 900,289 times

Advertisements

Our MLGW bill is ridiculous! Is it normal to pay $500 in the winter months for a place with 1 and 1/2 stories (not 2).
It hasn't been that cold this winter. We put in new high quality windows to insulate etc. No change. We turn lights out etc. I think we're being screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 07:26 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
You must have gas heat.

When I first moved to Memphis, I rented the top floor of an old house near Overton Park. We had no control over the heat. The lady who lived in the downstairs portion of the house controlled the heat. She ran it constantly starting in October. For a solid month, we had to keep all the windows open to combat the heat. Then the bill came. $900 for one month. We were supposed to pay half. I refused. We moved out without notice. I dared the landlord to sue me. 1)We didn't use or want the heat. 2)No one told us we would have no control over the heat when we signed the lease. We moved and never heard from him again.

Anyway, back to your question -- Yes, if you use gas heat, that bill would not be out of the ordinary. However, NEVER just go along with MLGW if you suspect something is wrong. Call them and tell them that you want to see the actual readings.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:53 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
It hasn't been that cold, but has your heat been running? It may be running more than you think. Did you turn it down during the day when you were at work?

If you have a 1.5 story home (assuming you have very tall ceilings in part of the house?) that could be a culprit too. $500 does not sound all that absurd to me, as I've known lots of other people to have that or more on their bill in the winter for homes that are NOT that big. Like the previous person mentioned....some people run the heat either on purpose, or without realizing it.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:55 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
But let me add as well, if you don't think it's right...be sure to inquire with them. I remember living in a home here years ago, and all of a sudden they started reading the meter twice a month and charging me double somehow. I have no clue how that happens and no one notices, but it did.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 20,145 times
I live in a 2 bedroom apartment very well insulate. I keep 1 bedroom closed off and my thermostat set on 68. I live alone, never cook. I wash clothes and run dishwasher once a week and my bill is still over $200 a month. My parents had a 3500 sq ft house in Bolivar and only paid $125 a month. What is up with MLGW and why do we not have another choice with which utility company to use? We have choices with cable and telephone. Something needs to change.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:47 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn0659 View Post
I live in a 2 bedroom apartment very well insulate. I keep 1 bedroom closed off and my thermostat set on 68. I live alone, never cook. I wash clothes and run dishwasher once a week and my bill is still over $200 a month. My parents had a 3500 sq ft house in Bolivar and only paid $125 a month. What is up with MLGW and why do we not have another choice with which utility company to use? We have choices with cable and telephone. Something needs to change.
Infrastructure is too expensive for competition. That's why we have socialized utilities. Typically, government has to take on most of the burden of paying for infrastructure.

Do you have gas heat, btw? Many people don't realize how extremely expensive natural gas has become over the last five years.

Because MLGW buys power from TVA (which is a federal creation, thus federally subsidized), MLGW's electricity rates are among the lowest in the nation.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:55 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
I've heard alot of second hand complaints about MLGW rate reading/measurement capability (fortunely I live over the border).

Basically, it's a crapshot on if they even read your meter or not, or if they read it correctly. The dude may just be entering a meter reading "in the ballpark" and that's the rate you get.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 7,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn0659 View Post
about 1 yr maybe 2 yrs ago some company by way of GA was trying to start new phone, utility and i think {but i cld be wrong a new cable company } in this area...although the idea sounded good i really wondered if they would be able to pull that off..i havent heard anything since, actually i cant remember who they were just that they were a branch of something from GA.

BUT i agree we need more than just MLGW because they are awful.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:58 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,373,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisAngel View Post
about 1 yr maybe 2 yrs ago some company by way of GA was trying to start new phone, utility and i think {but i cld be wrong a new cable company } in this area...although the idea sounded good i really wondered if they would be able to pull that off..i havent heard anything since, actually i cant remember who they were just that they were a branch of something from GA.

BUT i agree we need more than just MLGW because they are awful.
We actually have one of the best utility companys in the Country (Rates. Not Service) Its the lucrative pension/retirement plans that we are having to finance thats killing us

The big salaried TVA executives aren't helping matters either

Old 02-24-2011, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 7,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
We actually have one of the best utility companys in the Country (Rates. Not Service) Its the lucrative pension/retirement plans that we are having to finance thats killing us

The big salaried TVA executives aren't helping matters either

i concur
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis