Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 03:47 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,051,945 times

Advertisements

Wut...

https://www.billboard.com/amp/articl...mpression=true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 05:29 PM

226 posts, read 302,853 times
Here's a link that works: https://www.billboard.com/amp/articl...-music-rebirth

Old 06-07-2018, 08:06 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upthewazzu View Post
That's pretty incredible. Memphis has the soul, the bones and the music history and infrastructure for exactly this. I am not surprised.

Memphis has an appeal that you can't accurately describe unless you visit. It's comfy, laid back, friendly and has an easy way about it...

Old 06-22-2018, 06:06 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,051,945 times
https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/d...-austin-music/

Interesting article and there are a few cities who I think you can exchange for Austin.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:55 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/d...-austin-music/

Interesting article and there are a few cities who I think you can exchange for Austin.
That was a fascinating article. I've been to Austin and it is booming out of control, with little thought to its history as a city and its ties to music. I feel like Austin music now is a fad, that has been replaced by digital start-ups, expensive lattes, pricey condos and beer gardens for the hipsters and young professionals with a lot of money.

Granted, this is happening to a lot of cities, and to Memphis--but with Memphis it is on a tiny scale and very slow, as compared to Austin. Memphis still has a slow, easy and laid back way about it, with lots of areas maintaining character and soul.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:01 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I was born and raised in Memphis and have lived outside Nashville for the past quarter-century. I've spent that time defending Memphis and its unique soul to the many detractors in the rest of the state, most of whom have never even been to the Bluff City.

But the same things that happened in Nashville, what the young producer in the article called "destruction," can easily happen in Memphis as well. I give it 12 years, and the same carpetbaggers who came here searching for the next cool underground will plow that dirt till it's nothing but dust.

And then they'll move on to the next so-called underrated town that serves their narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis