Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 02:20 AM

16 posts, read 69,186 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in suburbia (Eads) and am looking to downsize to a smaller home in Memphis. (No- I'm not insane! But I AM tired of hours of yardwork and crazy-high fuel costs with my commute into Memphis.) I'm hoping to find a cottage-style, mid century modern or other home with character with a max price of 220,000.00.

I also HAVE to be around mature trees, and maybe even some hummingbirds...? I'd also love to be able to have friends over and not worry about their vehicle getting broken into if they park on the street for more than an hour.

Is there a place in Memphis that meets these requirements? I took a cruise around High Point Terrace at dusk and it looked like a friggin' Norman Rockwell painting- people jogging, walking the dog, strolling about.... Was I hallucinating? Is this area hiding any dirty secrets? (LOL) Would love to hear opinions about this neighborhood...

I'm also wanting opinions/info about the area around Perkins and Park Ave. and the "cottage area" (Cowden, Dille, Alexander) in the immediate vicinity around the Pink Palace.

One of my best friends is my Realtor, but she is so heavily biased on Midtown that I can't get an objective opinion out of her about other parts of town... So glad all of you are here!

Thanks in advance for any opinions offered...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 02:43 AM

185 posts, read 964,324 times
I think your assessment of Highpoint Terrace area is accurate. I often ride my bicycle throughout that area and find it to be very safe and pleasant. You may also like the Chickasaw Gardens area, which I think you would truly appreciate the area and the style of homes, but the prices are a step up. For $220k though, you should be able to find a nice down sized home in Highpoint Terrace.

Last edited by simcity; 04-04-2008 at 03:41 AM..

Old 04-04-2008, 08:45 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,288,773 times
High Point Terrace would be a good choice. Also, the Joffre neighborhood (east of the Pink Palace) would be good. Both of those neighborhoods will have houses in your price range.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:24 PM

8 posts, read 21,421 times
You can't lose with either location. Perkins and Park is great and its near Target and everybody loves target. The cowen is great...pink palace is great.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:06 AM

16 posts, read 74,137 times
Dear Eleven - If you are still looking for that home, I sent you a direct message (on this system) about a home that we are currently selling - it meets your description exactly. The sale price is more than your limit, but we would consider leasing it. Please check your direct messages for details. If ours won't work, I KNOW that you can find something ideal in your price range. It's a buyer's market right now! Welcome to Memphis!

Old 06-16-2008, 10:04 AM
R Z

31 posts, read 91,188 times
Yes love the High point area. Very nice community. A lot of pride going into the renovation of some homes and others are being rebuilt to fit in with the style. Prices there seem to have taken off even in this down turn market.

There is another area you may want to consider. It's the Sea Isle area. I've even heard reference that's it's the "new High Point". The homes are a bit more modern looking, but the trees are magnificent. Pricing is well below your pricing structure. It's near the White Station/Qunice area, and goes off in all directions for a mile or so. Nice shops nearby, close to East Gate and I-240. Something to consider.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:53 PM

26 posts, read 80,980 times
Joffre is a great neighborhood!!! Relocated from NY a year and a half ago and we love the neighbors and the well kept homes. Very convenient to everything... Joffre goes from Cowden to Highland east to west, and between Poplar and Central. Just across Central is East Buntyn which is also a decent area, and the area north of Poplar is nice as well.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:09 PM

173 posts, read 320,701 times
I have seen very very very few mid cent. moderns here. I don't think any of the ones here were built by any of the well known archtects/designers from that period. The few I have seen look like they'd be more than 220,000.
However there is an excellent quarterly magazine called Atomic Ranch (you can get it a bookstar, pop-highland) you might enjoy if you are into Mid Cent. Moderns.
I live in 38117, off mendenhall. My neighborhood is lovely, clean, and vibrant. The houses are either mega bucks or are still the cookie cutter post war small homes. There are trees, but compared to mid-town and older areas of town the trees are not "mature". It is still inside the loop, but much farer east than the area you named. My area does not have the character of Midtown or Joffree, but it is safe and affordable. And I have had a few humming birds visit my feeder, much to my (indoor) cats' delights. The area is worth at least a drive-by.
I also have a house for sale cheap in Olive Branch if you decide the property taxes in Shelby are too ridiculous to deal with. I so want that house sold! =)

Old 02-12-2010, 11:51 PM

9 posts, read 30,161 times
Regarding the High Point district, when that area as developed one thing was left out. Churches. There are no churches in the neighborhoods.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,989 times
High Point Terrace is great, and so are the smaller homes in Midtown (Central Gardens in particular)....you can find a 3bed/2bath for less than $230,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: