Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 10:15 PM

13 posts, read 25,164 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am wondering what are some low cost, safe rural or country areas and towns about 20 -60 minutes to Memphis. Maybe10 minutes to a small town or walmart, grocery, doctor etc. Cabin and Woods would also be acceptable. I am looking for places in Tennessee or any surrounding states close to Memphis that would be a bargain, with lots of grass, trees, good neighbors with hopefully a mix of cultures ( no racists or KKK).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 03:17 PM

114 posts, read 512,084 times
I'm looking for the same thing. Watching this for replies��

Old 06-25-2017, 10:41 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
Outside of Memphis, you'll find what remains of the Mississippi Delta. Mechanization of farm work put most of the people out of work 60 years ago and no other economic base ever replaced it. We've got plenty of low cost areas, but you get what you pay for. To say the rural areas are in rough shape is an understatement. They're some of the poorest places in the United States. New subdivisions have been creeping into Tipton and Fayette Counties for a while now, and there are some nice properties here and there, but the actual rural areas are beyond depressed. Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:36 AM

737 posts, read 1,915,892 times
No racists? Good luck with that. When you get outside of Memphis it becomes real backwards, real fast.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:37 AM

191 posts, read 303,317 times
The other thing to consider is that Memphis is relatively low cost, and even in-town areas have land. If you want a mix of cultures, then stay close to Memphis.

For example, here is a property in the middle of town (Central Gardens) on 2.25 acres, with pool and guest house for $650K. You couldn't buy a starter home or small apartment for that in NYC, Boston, the Bay Area or probably Portland.
1876 Central Ave, Memphis, TN 38104 - realtor.com®

Here is one in Bartlett on 4 1/2 acres for $240K.
6380 Fiske Rd, Bartlett, TN 38135 - realtor.com®

Here is one in Raleigh on 1 1/2 acres for $76K.
3729 Lakewood Dr, Memphis, TN 38128 - realtor.com®

Those properties may not be updated, but the point is, you can buy a house with land in Memphis at nearly any budget level.

As East Memphis says, those rural areas have few to no amenities. Crittenden County across the river shut down their only hospital, although they are trying to build a new one. Go east of Memphis, and you may be nearly an hour from a grocery store. A professional couple lives across the street from us and commutes to Forest City, Arkansas because they didn't want to raise and school their kids out there.

Many people commute from the Southaven/Olive Branch area of Mississippi. Just check the tax considerations.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:09 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,417 times
Try Eads, rural NE Shelby County, and the Collierville Annex Reserve areas. Also, there are some estate size lots (2 acre +) properties in Collierville, which is one of the best school districts in the state.

Farther east, their is Fayette County. There, check out areas around Rossville and LaGrange. All of your services can be had in Collierville, which is 20-30 min. from LaGrange and 15 from Rossville.

I wouldn't recommend MS due to income taxes

Old 06-28-2017, 07:21 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
No racists? Good luck with that. When you get outside of Memphis it becomes real backwards, real fast.
This is a pretty dumb comment. All you have to do is read the comments section on Fox 13, News 5, and other news pages on Facebook to see there are plenty of racists in inner-city Memphis. There are racists in all walks of life and colors, unfortunately. It doesn't help that Memphis seems to dwell on the past, and many citizens think the past is the cause of their current circumstances, which is false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Try Eads, rural NE Shelby County, and the Collierville Annex Reserve areas. Also, there are some estate size lots (2 acre +) properties in Collierville, which is one of the best school districts in the state.

Farther east, their is Fayette County. There, check out areas around Rossville and LaGrange. All of your services can be had in Collierville, which is 20-30 min. from LaGrange and 15 from Rossville.

I wouldn't recommend MS due to income taxes
Mattec named most of the places I was going to name. Eads, NE Shelby County, and Fayette County were the ones I thought of first.

2+ acre lots in Collierville will be expensive. There's plenty of land in Fayette County, and it's a growing area. You can live in Piperton, Rossville, or Moscow with some land and get to Collierville for all your eating and shopping needs in 10-15 minutes. Collierville has a large mall, Lowe's, Target, some entertainment, and whatever else you need. If you need surgery or something major, Memphis is a little further.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:00 AM

737 posts, read 1,915,892 times
Nice response.
No one said anything about there NOT being racist people within the city limits. The discussion was about rural west TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
This is a pretty dumb comment. All you have to do is read the comments section on Fox 13, News 5, and other news pages on Facebook to see there are plenty of racists in inner-city Memphis. There are racists in all walks of life and colors, unfortunately. It doesn't help that Memphis seems to dwell on the past, and many citizens think the past is the cause of their current circumstances, which is false.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:13 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
Nice response.
No one said anything about there NOT being racist people within the city limits. The discussion was about rural west TN.
Your response implied you'll find racists when leaving the Memphis city limits. I don't know how else someone could interpret it...

"No racists? Good luck with that. When you get outside of Memphis it becomes real backwards, real fast."

Personally, I find more racists within the Memphis city limits.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:58 PM

13 posts, read 25,164 times
I am looking for areas where I can homestead off-grid if anyone has suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis