U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-09-2008, 10:31 PM

9 posts, read 43,415 times

Advertisements

Hi, all...

My family is planning a June-timeframe driving vacation to Orlando, and will be making a stop each way in Memphis. We'd like to visit Mud Island Museum, Neely's BBQ on Jefferson, and take in a dinner riverboat cruise. My only concern is that I've started to read quite a bit about high crime rates in Memphis, and as a tourist I realize I need to get as informed as I can about what areas of town to avoid. I made a wrong turn in Birmingham a few years back and caught myself driving through one of the most blighted, crime-ridden, burned-out areas of town any where I've ever seen, and I genuinely felt unsafe. I'd like to avoid that same situation this time.

Could someone describe the general areas around the riverboat cruise area, the Neely's location, and Mud Island? What I've read about the latter is that its a fairly popular tourist spot, so I'm making an educated guess that the crime in that area isn't as big a concern. We're planning Neely's for lunch, right after Mud Island.

I have more concerns about the riverboat cruise area, as we're planning a 7:30 Saturday night cruise and I have concerns about parking, risks for vandalism in the area (particularly for a car with an out-of-state tag).

If I'm overblowing the concern, that's cool, too; fully realize some crime stats are overblown..just trying to get as accurate a picture as I can.

Thanks in advance for your opinions/thoughts.

-Tourister
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 08:31 AM

3,381 posts, read 8,968,689 times
Downtown is the safest area of the city. Yes, there are bums asking for money, just ignore them and move on. Use common sense when parking, don't leave things in full view that would allow people to want to break in. I used to live downtown, and I've parked downtown thousands of times and have never had a problem with my car.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:07 AM

1,703 posts, read 4,162,539 times
The Mud Island garage is fun. I had to park there when I worked at City Hall. I had my entire headlight kit stolen from my car there. (How in the heck you can take that out without opening the hood is beyond me.) I also had the little caps that covered the air nozzles on my tires stolen. Can you believe that? Those things cost like $1 for a pack of four -- and someone actually took them off my car. I also had multiples dings and scratches on my car. Some City Hall employees actually refused to park there and opted instead for the County's guarded open parking lot that's under an interstate overpass some four blocks away.

Neely's is not in a good area.

And you might get to witness some folks publicly urinating (or worse) near the spot where you'll board the riverboat.

With all of that said -- You've picked three very fun and interesting places to go. I really enjoyed Mud Island river park. If you have little ones, bring their Crocs or river shoes, and they'll have a blast. The museum there is interesting, too.

Neely's is good. Be sure and get a piece of Sock-It-to-Me cake. It's my favorite.

Riverboats are always good cheesy fun. You'll get some cool views of the downtown skyline and the houses on the bluff.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 453 times
I wouldnt waste my time going on that riverboat cruise...plus your car with

out of state tags WILL get targeted if you parked there..

Mud Island ?? a total waste of the trip over...disappointing !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis