Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:56 PM

190 posts, read 649,658 times

Advertisements

I just look at the photos that I take from the air. Unfortunately when on the ground I guess it is hard to separate the people problems from the city. So much to offer, so many issues.

http://www.laj-bus-assoc.com/posts/city2008-05.jpg (broken link)

http://www.laj-bus-assoc.com/posts/city2008-04.jpg (broken link)

http://www.laj-bus-assoc.com/posts/city2008-03.jpg (broken link)

http://www.laj-bus-assoc.com/posts/city2008-02.jpg (broken link)

http://www.laj-bus-assoc.com/posts/city2008-01.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 06:02 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,607 times
Just awesome.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:16 AM

98 posts, read 370,351 times
I have lived all over the country, and some part outside. I really like Memphis

Old 04-22-2008, 09:43 AM

232 posts, read 988,312 times
Chuck,

I always enjoy your pictures. Aerial photos make any city look beautiful!

Just curious, what type of aircraft are you in, and what kind of camera do you use? Is the camera outside of the 'bird'? I'd like aerial shots of my hunting grounds in Hardeman Co.

Thanks

Old 04-22-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowyer View Post
Chuck,

I always enjoy your pictures. Aerial photos make any city look beautiful!

Just curious, what type of aircraft are you in, and what kind of camera do you use? Is the camera outside of the 'bird'? I'd like aerial shots of my hunting grounds in Hardeman Co.

Thanks
Helicopter, open door. I shoot with Nikons D-200 and D-300. I shoot mostly with the camera in the Heli but sometimes mount it on the bottom of the chopper for vertical images.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:06 PM

102 posts, read 413,680 times
I looked quick, but I think You missed a very important 'big' Building.--- 201 Poplar.
(the county lock-up)~

Old 04-22-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BigBear View Post
I looked quick, but I think You missed a very important 'big' Building.--- 201 Poplar.
(the county lock-up)~
OH, I have that one from an earlier shoot, but I try not to promote the negative.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:09 PM

196 posts, read 692,411 times
I really enjoyed your photos.

Do you have them posted on a site somewhere?

Old 05-02-2008, 12:32 PM

20 posts, read 69,194 times
Nice pics, but downtown Memphis is just so depressing. There have been no real skyscrapers built here in more than 25 years, and very little is on the planning board. The Sterick Building is boarded-up and 100 North Main is a shell of its former self and a disgrace.

Yes, there have been some improvements, such as the FedEx Forum and Beale Street's tourist strip (but it is just so plastic!). Overall, Memphis is so far behind other cities.

I was in Nashville recently and that city is in the midst of a major building boom -- there were cranes everywhere with new highrise office bldgs and condos going up all over downtown. The "Gulch" area is especially impressive. Nashville's skyline is so much more vertical and impressive. It seems to have so many things Memphis does not that its just embarassing.

Memphis was once Tennessee's premier city, but we lost that title to Nashville a long time ago. Not only Nashville itself, but the entire Mid State area is now much larger than Memphis, including Ark and Miss. We need some developers and builders to really improve our downtown.

Indeed, there is a lot to complain about in Memphis. Compared to other places, we are nowhere. And that is most unfortunate.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:38 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,759 times
"I just look at the photos that I take from the air. Unfortunately when on the ground I guess it is hard to separate the people problems from the city."

I've been puzzled by this comment every time I've read it. It is not possible to separate the people from a community as the people define the community. Otherwise, you're talking about just the superficial things - the architecture and the streets. However a city - like any other place - is defined by the people who live within it. The people who are concerned about the issues facing Memphis are concerned about issues that are brought about by people. Consequently, no matter how pretty the bridge and river are, the community is what gives people pause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: