Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:28 PM

18 posts, read 62,958 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I are both graduate students in Memphis, he just finished his and got a job here. I have about other 2 or 3 years to finish mine. So we have to stay in Memphis for at least 2 years. Now our baby is 5 months and we really like to move out of apartment, so many baby staff at homes, we are thinking about buy a house here since the house price is down everywhere.
My question is which area should we consider since we probably won't be here for long time, well we might stay here for a long run but not sure. we are looking some house on mud island, west station, which are all said to be good resale place, but the house price in mud island is really high in terms of /sqft and crowd. west station has so many old house that I don't like either. How about lakeland? I like the house there but not sure about the resale market. Any suggestion will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 03:02 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
I don't know what west station is. You mean the White Station area?

I was recently shocked at how cheap houses on the island are now. I remember years ago, you couldn't find even the smallest house for under $200k. Now, I have seen a lot of 2 story, 3br/2ba for a little over $200k. Now, I personally think the neighborhoods there are cheap looking, cookie cutter, tiny yards...not my style. However, I think the resale value would be a lot higher if you ended up staying here a while. If you bought a place and did a few upgrades, I think you could make some money. Maybe not in 2 years with this market, but after a while. It is, though, a cute place with lots of families. I think it's a nice place to live...I personally don't like new houses though.

I don't think anywhere, in Memphis or suburbs, is going to have a great resale value in only 2 years. If you stay longer, I think Lakeland (as long as it's not unincorporated) is a good choice. Hard to predict resale right now. Best bet is to find something you like and will enjoy, and go in with the understanding that you will not make any money off of it.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:18 PM

18 posts, read 62,958 times
Thanks for the reply Pearl. Actually we never thought about making money on such short term investment. We will be very happy if we can keep the house value and have it sold easily, that's all our concern.
It's white station. typo.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:25 PM

White Station is a fine area. Older homes, big trees, people who have lived there a long time. Of course, you never know about an exact location, but overall the White Station area has been around a long time and is a desired area for people wanting to live in the city.

If your child is young, you don't have to worry about school systems yet. White Station is still an okay school area anyway. (well, okay for the city schools)

I'm with you, as long as you come out even, that's all y ou can expect right now. I think Lakeland, White Station, or the island are good choices. Totally different from one another though, so weigh your options. I'd like in the White Station area, but never the island or Lakeland. So make sure to weigh the pros and cons.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,724 times
June1102,

I would recommend the White Station area....certain parts. Alot depends on your size/price home you are looking for. I live in the White Station area/Colonial Acres. I grew up in Colonial Acres, moved to Cordova, than back to Colonial Acres. A great area to live in.

Regards,

striker

Old 05-05-2008, 04:17 PM

738 posts, read 2,576,191 times
we just drove through Lakeland over the weekend, what a lovely place! Nice big lake, it's more hilly than most of memphis, seemed like a wonderful place to be.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:00 PM

39 posts, read 120,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considering-amovetomephis View Post
we just drove through Lakeland over the weekend, what a lovely place! Nice big lake, it's more hilly than most of memphis, seemed like a wonderful place to be.
yeah, lakleand is nice, but its kinda too close to Cordova. I over heard some kids calling Cordova....the Dirty 'Dova. hehehe...i laughed and walked off

Old 05-12-2008, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,830 times
Lakeland is a great place to live. I have lived in Lakeland for several years and really enjoy it. You don't have to care about schools yet but the schools are really good. Arlington is also a nice place and they have more town activities than Lakeland. They also have a city tax which Lakeland does not. I don't know about the other places.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:27 PM

I think Dirty Dova is goofy slang for referring to the fact that the suburbs are in fact pretty upscale compared to most of Memphis.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 32,235 times
Collierville or lakeland? work is @ memphis st. jude hosp area..
where could we find a 200,000 house -- close to work, safe (0 crime), close to shops, grocery and daycare, good family oriented neighborhood..

need help/advice.

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis