Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 05:37 PM

738 posts, read 2,576,191 times

Advertisements

I just relocated to Collierville in January, (husband's job, also by the airport), and I can't tell you how friendly and welcoming people are!!

I do not like the Memphis area very much as far as politics shopping and schools, but I would not hesitate to say that people here are the nicest I've met anywhere, and I have lived in 4 states and traveled extensively, it makes it a good place to live.

I don't think you can go wrong in Gtown or C'Ville, but I do think that C'ville is more of a place for families with small kids. Many of the neighborhoods we looked at in G'town were more ..mature.

Tons of SAH moms, tons of playgroups, preschools, churches, festivals and Collierville is an incorporated town, which means there is less danger of us being rolled into Memphis city schools than G'town.

Good luck with your looking!

Last edited by ColliervilleMom; 05-01-2008 at 06:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 05:42 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considering-amovetomephis View Post
I just relocated to Collierville in January, (husband's job, also by the airport), and I can't tell you how friendly and welcoming people are!!

I do not like the Memphis area very much as far as politics shopping and schools, but I would not hesitate to say that people here are the nicest I've met anywhere, and I have lived in 4 states and traveled extensively, it makes it a good place to live.

I don't think you can go wrong in Gtown or C'Ville, but I do think that C'ville is the place for families with small kids. Most of the neighborhoods we looked at in G'town were more ..mature.

Tons of SAH moms, tons of playgroups, preschools, churches, festivals and Collierville is an incorporated town, which means there is less danger of us being rolled into Memphis city schools than G'town.

Good luck with your looking!
Just one correction. Both Germantown and Collierville are incorporated cities. This fact has nothing to do with schools located there merging with city schoools one day as Collierville and Germantown do not have school districts. They are part of the Shelby County school system. Consequently, should Memphis and Shelby County consolidate with schools falling under that consolidation, all schools would consolidate - those in Germantown, Arlington, Collierville, included.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:51 PM

Thanks for clarifying, I should have checked that fact...

btw, I live in a pretty upscale part of Collierville (500-800K homes), and I would say it's 50/50 with public vs. private schools, until you get to HS (0vercrowded), where it's probably 80% private.

I would definitely figure private schools in your budget picture, at least starting in high, if not middle school.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:20 PM

21 posts, read 121,548 times
Thanks. You are the first person to really have something positive to say. We have lived in Phoenix, Iowa and surburban Atlanta and out of these the people in suburban Atlanta are the friendliest. That is really driving some of our hesitation. I would like to know that we would have playgroups and other SAHM "outlets."

Knowing our transitory history I am also concerned about investing in Memphis area property. We did well in PHX, so/so in Iowa and who knows in this market in ATL but what is your take on real estate investing in Collierville/germantown?

Old 05-02-2008, 05:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,634 times
Smile advice from a Germantown native

i have lived in germantown/memphis my entire life and i would advise germantown to anyone. there are tons of things for you to do here esp if you have children. i have 2 daughters, 4 and 7, so i am very familiar with the pre-schools and elementary schools. my mother has been in real estate for 25 years and used to handle the relocation people for Crye-Leike. she would give potential "transplants" the city tour. as long as you stay out east you are fine. downtown is nothing like it used to be so you are safe to enjoy tons of things going on. YES...memphis has a lot of crime. you just have to be careful re your surroundings. i would never send my children to a Memphis City School. they are terrible. Germantown Elementary and Dogwood Elem. have been the top scoring Elem schools in TN for years. Collierville has great schools too. my 4 year old goes to a pre-school at a church and the cost varies according to how many days your child attends. people are super friendly and you would have no problem making friends.(adult and kids) i don't know if the moderator should give out advice on living out east if he doesn't actually live here. anyways.....you just need to get on line and do a search for germantown and collierville and see all there is to offer. most people that live here now are from somewhere else but i'm a native and trying to keep it that way. not saying there are bad things about memphis. the mayor is crooked and they have a lot of problems with the city schools, but if you live out east, you would be very happy. my mom should give you the tour!

Old 05-02-2008, 07:48 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
What negative advice did I give regarding living "out east"? And by the way, I have lived "out east" for many years in the past. If anything I said Collierville and Germantown are great areas. A person doesn't have to live in a particular suburb to know things about it....Germantown is about 10 miles from my house. It's not a black hole.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:37 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
I lived in Atlanta, and I have a choice (with free relocation) to move back to Atlanta for work. No thanks. Memphis isn't perfect but get in a nice area and enjoy the lack of traffic and low cost of living compared to Atlanta.
Just be careful what area you would move to - you don't live below I-20 in Atlanta in Fulton County the same as you don't live near the airport or Hickory Hill in Memphis. Germantown and Collierville are to Memphis what Alpharetta and John's Creek is to Atlanta, just less expensive and less traffic.

Edit on real estate - Memphis market doesn't appreciate much, but neither does it crash. Less risk, less returns. Buy a house to live in, not as an investement.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:35 AM

alisonb, when you get closer, it sounds like you have some great resources to check out both Germantown and Collierville, as kellic said, the elementary schools are great in both cities, and you'll have lots of sah mom support, and preschools to pick from.

Kellic, please let me know where you got your data that "Germantown Elementary and Dogwood Elem. have been the top scoring Elem schools in TN for years. " because I searched everywhere before we moved, and could not find date on TN elementary schools. I know we love ours.

Collierville is having a huge family friendly festival on the town square this weekend, check out chuck1229 post "Collierville in Full Bloom". There are a lot of spring and summer events on the town square, and I know Germantown has a lot of cool event, and a great theatre program for kids.

The housing market is fantastic here right now, lots of properties...one thing that surprised us, so be prepared, is that everyone puts up those ugly privacy fences. It really takes some getting used to....when I've lived in subdivisions like this in OH and VA, it was required that split rail, iron, or picket were the only types of fences people could put up. Not sure how GA is, but just fyi.

Let us know what you decide, and if you have more questions!
Mart

Old 05-02-2008, 03:46 PM

21 posts, read 121,548 times
Thanks for all of the info. I will update this posting once I know our final decision in the next few weeks.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:53 AM

252 posts, read 710,273 times
Resale of properties in Germantown and Collierville is doing just fine. Our condo has appreciated $15,000+ in two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis