Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:07 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times

Advertisements

I didn't write it like that. I said "most black, and lower class." The comma indicates a distinction between the two adjectives. The schools are mostly black, and the schools are mostly lower class. I think the statistical data presented on the TN gov't website supports that.

Most people, myself included, use "lower class" to indicate a financial rung of the ladder socioeconomicly. Lower, middle, and upper class. That distinction has nothing to do with "people having no class" or some other definition of the word. The statistic on the website for Economically Disadvantaged=Lower Class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 09:17 AM

28 posts, read 90,767 times
Think about the Evergreen Historic District (web site: Evergreen Historic District Association) or the Vollentine-Evergreen area (web site VECA Neighborhood - Memphis TN.) Both are nice areas in midtown Memphis. Midtown is a great place to live! Lots of older homes, big trees, nice mix of young families as well as older folks in these areas. There are several neighborhood restaurants, Dino's in VECA, Fresh Slices, Roustica and Café Society in Evergreen, and a cute little coffee house just opened on McLean across from Snowden School. The Memphis Zoo, Overton Park and the Brooks Museum of Art are within walking distance.

If your kids have been in Honors classes they should have no problem getting in the optional program at White Station High School (White Station High School.) My son will be going there in the fall for 9th grade in the Optional Program after spending 8 years at Snowden, a wonderful k-8 across from the Zoo. Don’t be afraid of all city schools. Lots of families in the neighborhoods I’ve suggested who could well afford to send their children anywhere choose White Station over private schools. Be sure to check out their web site.

Good luck on your move and welcome to Memphis!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:37 AM

I hope the OP posts back with some input on all this!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:49 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I didn't write it like that. I said "most black, and lower class." The comma indicates a distinction between the two adjectives. The schools are mostly black, and the schools are mostly lower class. I think the statistical data presented on the TN gov't website supports that.

Most people, myself included, use "lower class" to indicate a financial rung of the ladder socioeconomicly. Lower, middle, and upper class. That distinction has nothing to do with "people having no class" or some other definition of the word. The statistic on the website for Economically Disadvantaged=Lower Class.
OK. Thanks for clarifying that statement. I understand the difference between socioeconomic class and having "no class." Accordingly, I understand the data presented on the site- I just have a problem with the "lower" class model. Maybe someone could clarify what would qualify as lower class...are they going by parent's salaries, education etc? Would be interesting to find out where they are basing their information on.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:48 PM

From what I have understood in other school systems, it goes by parent income and if they are living below poverty level or accepting govt financial help.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,679 times
Thank you for all the wonderful information. It seems to me that the school district and the neighborhood north of summer ave is quickly deteriorating. I have looked into several properties north of Walnut Grove Rd (In WSHS district):

4978 LYNBAR, 38117
5220 BENDEL, 38117
5452 MASON, 38120
5286 BOSWELL, 38120

As far as schools go, we are firm believers in the public education system, and truthfull cannot afford to send 3 children to private schools. I have read alot about the White Station Optional Program (which seemed to be the most recommended out of all MCS) and I am confident that this will be a great place to enroll the kids.

BTW, I've been trying to get information on a neighborhood called HIGH POINT. Information about safety, and overall state of the neighborhood, demographics, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS AGAIN

Old 05-21-2008, 07:35 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
High Point (or High Point Terrace) is a good neighborhood. I can only think of one murder there in the last couple of years.

Best wishes.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:51 AM

What does it take to be a part of the Optional Program? There has to be some sort of entrance exam, right? Just because you live in the district, you don't automatically join the Optional program, or else everyone would be in it.

I heard a while back that High Point is the most sought after neighborhood in Memphis right now, and that has caused prices to sky rocket (well, that was before the real estate bust). Smaller, older homes, big yards and trees, and a lot of people started buying and renovating.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:52 AM

774 posts, read 2,582,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMemphian View Post
Thank you for all the wonderful information. It seems to me that the school district and the neighborhood north of summer ave is quickly deteriorating. I have looked into several properties north of Walnut Grove Rd (In WSHS district):

4978 LYNBAR, 38117
5220 BENDEL, 38117
5452 MASON, 38120
5286 BOSWELL, 38120

As far as schools go, we are firm believers in the public education system, and truthfull cannot afford to send 3 children to private schools. I have read alot about the White Station Optional Program (which seemed to be the most recommended out of all MCS) and I am confident that this will be a great place to enroll the kids.

BTW, I've been trying to get information on a neighborhood called HIGH POINT. Information about safety, and overall state of the neighborhood, demographics, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS AGAIN
The White Station Optional Program is the most recommended in the city schools. There's a time element in terms of getting into the program that you'll need to look into. Living in the White Station district does not guarantee acceptance into the optional program, although those individuals do have first rights on spaces, provided they meet admission criteria. It's not simply a matter of enrolling them; there are a number of hoops that must be jumped through.

The one on Bendel is in a very nice area (provided its owners didn't destroy the home when it was foreclosed).

The one on Boswell may be ok - I'm not sure. It's near a congested area where there are strip clubs not a block or two away.

The homes on Mason and Lynbar could go either way. It's in an iffy area in terms of lots of rental houses and such. Those are both streets where you need to see it in person to determine what the situation is.

High Point Terrace is a wonderful area. I don't think it's in the White Station district, however. If you're not in the WS district, it is fairly trying to get into the optional program.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:54 AM

As for those addresses you listed, the Boswell one loooks really bad. You're overlooking a junction of 3 major interstates, and a train track. The noise there would be astounding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis