U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:01 AM

235 posts, read 667,239 times
Me too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 11:34 PM

948 posts, read 2,453,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddysmom1 View Post
I've lived in Memphis all my life, born and raised, went and graduated from UTK with a bachelors, lived in Nashville and Houston, TX. And now I'm back, but I do not think it is by coincidence. I think it's a reason for me returning. As an African American, leaving Memphis, back 7 years ago to go to college was the most eye-opening culture shock. Memphis, is pretty heavily black populated and yes, the racial tension is a little much. But leaving and going to other places where diversity is a big thing, opened me to possibilities and other cultures. I have friends of all different races and faiths, and coming back here lets me see that Memphis is way behind.

I want to get involved with bringing Memphis up to its potential. I know the black folks love the city mayor but I think it's time for a change...

why on earth does anyone like the mayor? Black or white people. Whoever likes him must be blind and deaf? Seriously?

Old 04-12-2011, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,515 times
We live in one of the most "segragated" states, so many disgusting communities of hatred. I personaly have cream colored skin, my closest friend has lovely dark tan skin. For me, that has never and never will matter. I hope we can all move away from the lack of trust and apreciation of diversity. My children do not notice colors and base judgement on them. They appreciate all people for all walks. I truly hope that we can all move away from this segragation and desegragation. There should not have ever been a word of such sort.... there should not have been that reality. We should all be able to live apreciated for what is inside and what is outside. I say, no judgement. Love, peace, equality, diversity.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:35 PM

469 posts, read 446,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Seriously, this is a headache. All the negativity and complaining on this forum, no wonder no one is happy in this city. Try and have a better attitude, and it will work wonders.
Nattering Naybobs of Negativity who see just what they want to see. The majority of people I meet on a daily basis don't dwell on this stuff, and are more willing to see the obviously equal opportunities for achieving their individual goals.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:36 PM

550 posts, read 183,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPBOY View Post
Nattering Naybobs of Negativity who see just what they want to see. The majority of people I meet on a daily basis don't dwell on this stuff, and are more willing to see the obviously equal opportunities for achieving their individual goals.
Yeah, Memphis still sucks though.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 AM

58 posts, read 39,408 times
You can find racism in every state...it is a people problem, not a state or city problem. I care about how people are, not the hue of their skin. I love memphis and have many friends there that are black and many that are white. I had dinner with my friends when I was there last week, many hugs and smiles were given and it was sad to have to leave. We had a great time and never once did we discuss politics, or sports, or religion, other than to say Godspeed and we are praying for you, etc.
I think because of the hard economic times we are all facing.....the favoritism that each side precieves comes out more now than before. It is a shame that we can't put an end to these issues, but as long as people focus only on skin color, this will continue for a long time.
As i said....I love memphis and can't wait to get back there next year to see my friends again.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 826 times
The racism in Memphis is very reversed. Many of the blacks have no respect for the whites. And that is not tolerated in the work place. The school boards are lacking the will power to address this issue. This has been growing in the schools for years. So, this year, the students will be keeping track of what is seen to present to the city school and county school boards. When a black person is given a high authority, and they over use this power, the person needs to be removed from the position. Racism is not a subject to teach the students. It must be reversed. When the racist actions are already taking place before the school year begins, that is a bad sign of what is to come. The school board must remember it's purposed and correct the actions that have been overlooked for too long. The parents are tired of hearing things from children and school employees. Trying to hide the facts will only end up worse with other proof. Phones and micro recorders hold the evidence.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:09 PM

550 posts, read 183,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraah1z View Post
The racism in Memphis is very reversed. Many of the blacks have no respect for the whites. And that is not tolerated in the work place. The school boards are lacking the will power to address this issue. This has been growing in the schools for years. So, this year, the students will be keeping track of what is seen to present to the city school and county school boards. When a black person is given a high authority, and they over use this power, the person needs to be removed from the position. Racism is not a subject to teach the students. It must be reversed. When the racist actions are already taking place before the school year begins, that is a bad sign of what is to come. The school board must remember it's purposed and correct the actions that have been overlooked for too long. The parents are tired of hearing things from children and school employees. Trying to hide the facts will only end up worse with other proof. Phones and micro recorders hold the evidence.
I think what this person meant to say was racism in Memphis is institutionalized so it breeds contempt from poor blacks towards whites.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:25 PM

49 posts, read 70,358 times
I have lived in Upstate New York, Middle Tennessee, Southern California, Miami, and Memphis. Memphis is one of the most weird places I have ever lived in with regards to anything about race or ethnicity. I have literally never before witnessed the rather far gone modes of thought some of the ladies and gentlemen of Memphis have towards others of varying races and ethnicities before in my entire natural life.

Memphis is really flipping odd to me on that end. And, for the life of me I do not think that things can get much worse with all of this at all. We are in the year 2011 and Memphis is stuck a great many decades prior.

I quite literally do not know what the root cause is to this utterly profound sense of hatred some of the ladies and gentlemen of Memphis, TN have towards others, but it is truly unholy and I am sickened to death of it with all my heart. I really am. I was not taught to hate people on the basis of their race or ethnicity period and my very own ethnicity is not a common one for Memphis, btw. I was not taught to try and 'stick it' to others by any means going in order to 'get back' at others for things they might not have ever done or even believe in. I am a very formally educated person (for better or worse) who has a fair amount of life experience and I really think that one of the underlying reasons Memphis is literally at a standstill with regards to anything pertaining to socioeconomic growth is plain and utter hate.

This saddens me to the core and I take no pleasure in stating any of this. But, at least I got it off my chest somewhere.

Thank you.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:56 AM

506 posts, read 470,912 times
I really don't think Memphis is as overtly racist as a lot of other places. "Weird" is a good way to describe it. There seems to be an unspoken understanding that whites and blacks are two completely distinct classes of people, like you might think would be the case during the segregation era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis