U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:19 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,431,604 times

Advertisements

There's an inherited self-esteem issue for the city, and it retards the emergence of boosters who can balance out the negative self-perception. There is also an elitist patina to turning your nose down to things and people around you.

Hopefully one more year, then I can come back to Memphis...

Old 06-02-2008, 10:55 AM

14 posts, read 37,593 times
The people who hate Memphis, refuse to actually appreciate it for its rich history and beautiful architecture. I graduated from The U ofM and then lived away from Memphis for 5 years, i have returned and appreciate it even more than I ever have. I also learned that most of the "haters" do not understand that this area has low housing costs, high incomes(for those who apply themselves), many outdoor areas(parks), tons of families who will gladly welcome you as if you were part of their family, many churches who work together on making things better. However, there are very devisive people(small number with a loud voice) who wish to continue to divide this city on racial lines and only care about their own power and what it means to their monetary gain. Once "Those People" lose their power(and it will happen) this city will heal and move forward from the current stalemate.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:44 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,194,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTownBoy View Post
The people who hate Memphis, refuse to actually appreciate it for its rich history and beautiful architecture.
Rich history and beautiful architecture are nice -- but they alone do not make a community. The people who hate Memphis typically do so because of crime, race relations, and the school situation. Some were actually victims of crime.

It is no more valid for you to mischaracterize the 'haters' than it is for them to mischaracterize people such as yourself as naive and immature.

BTW, are you in Memphis or Germantown?

Regards.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:14 PM

As i said in my post. The haters are the ones causing the race relations "issue" that truely would be nonexistant if the media would stop making it an issue. I agree that there are small numbers of people who are still living in the 1950's and hate on the basis of someones skin color, but the majority of people are content with judging people on their merit and not on skin color. I have many friends from many different backgrounds and it is amazing that we dont ever get into a fight and immediately think of pulling a gun and shooting one another. A portion of the black population in this city has been used in a political powerplay for way too long. There will eventually be an awakening to all of the lies and things will change. Do I say that there is not a crime problem? No. Nieve? I dont think so. Prepared? YES Aware of my surroundings? YES. Just because I live in a specific part of town does not mean that I am somehow secluded from what happens or that I never leave there to go anywhere else. I actually work in many areas of the city that some of you might not even go or care to see. That is where my optimism for the cities future comes from. On a daily basis I see and speak to many people in the "rough Neighborhoods" The majority of the people who live there are just like you and I, hard working Americans trying to better themselves and their families. There are many older men and women who live there that cannot believe that a muder occurred in their neighborhood because, "it is a safe neighborhood". If the news would report the real news and actually do it without skewing one way or the other, you would see the true picture. The true picture is one where the mayor is not interested in stopping crime, because if he were, he would hire more police and get rid of some of the jobs that arent needed. If he were interested in stopping crime he would allow the police cheif to do his job without being 2nd guessed or 1 up'd by the mayor. If the mayor was interested in anything at all except for his own power he would remove himself from the selection of a new school superintendent and allow the people who were ELECTED for the job to do the peoples will and let them pick someone. I will step down from my soapbox now!

Old 06-02-2008, 01:32 PM

775 posts, read 1,672,123 times
Quote:
The people who hate Memphis, refuse to actually appreciate it for its rich history and beautiful architecture. I graduated from The U ofM and then lived away from Memphis for 5 years, i have returned and appreciate it even more than I ever have. I also learned that most of the "haters" do not understand that this area has low housing costs, high incomes(for those who apply themselves), many outdoor areas(parks), tons of families who will gladly welcome you as if you were part of their family, many churches who work together on making things better. However, there are very devisive people(small number with a loud voice) who wish to continue to divide this city on racial lines and only care about their own power and what it means to their monetary gain. Once "Those People" lose their power(and it will happen) this city will heal and move forward from the current stalemate.

Rich history and architecture do not a life make, except perhaps for historians and architects. My life revolves around my family and things we love to do.

For what it's worth, I don't hate the history of Memphis. My family helped to found this city and I've been here all of my life. I do abhor what the city has become however. Pretty buildings and interesting history do not make it a safe place to live or conducive to every family's life.

As for your "real news" you refer to in your next post - do you refer to the real news of the rapist who ran down my street after his 9th home invasion in 11 days? Maybe the drug house that was raided a couple of weeks ago down the street from me? Perhaps the shoot-out that happened with police a few months ago around the block? I don't even live in a rough neighborhood - well, no rougher than the Memphis area in general. History and architecture don't do a darned thing to make it safe for my child to play outside in her backyard. History and Architecture didn't do a thing this weekend to make my home peaceful as police were all over my neighborhood with helicopters overhead.

I'll gladly move to a smaller town in a different area of the country with a higher cost of living to have a sense of safety and peace. After all, there's rich history to be found everywhere.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:29 PM

Again, I would refer you to completely read my current post and also ask that you understand that rich history cannot be found in every city, and grand architecture found here cannot be found anywhere. Those items are merely a backdrop and foundation to show that the footings have been laid for our city to be one of the great "big cities" in the US and because of negativity toward the city, from people who live here, does not help to find solutions. In other words you can ***** about your car being dirty and messy, but until there is a motivation or self pride to clean it, it will remain dirty. I have not said that the crime is being overstated, i am saying that it is not being reported completely. If people knew how bad it was, more would come out to do something about it. If you are worried about your neighborhood and your kids cannot play in the backyard, just move!! Nobody is trapped. This is America. You can do anything you want and be anything you want. If you rely on other people to make your neighborhood better, you will be disappointed!! I have seen it happen over and over again. I am not making a personal attack on you specifically, I am trying to make a personal accountability point and you opened up an avenue for me to address it. Please do not take offense to that because i was not directed at you.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:59 PM

775 posts, read 1,672,123 times
Quote:
Again, I would refer you to completely read my current post and also ask that you understand that rich history cannot be found in every city, and grand architecture found here cannot be found anywhere. Those items are merely a backdrop and foundation to show that the footings have been laid for our city to be one of the great "big cities" in the US and because of negativity toward the city, from people who live here, does not help to find solutions. In other words you can ***** about your car being dirty and messy, but until there is a motivation or self pride to clean it, it will remain dirty. I have not said that the crime is being overstated, i am saying that it is not being reported completely. If people knew how bad it was, more would come out to do something about it. If you are worried about your neighborhood and your kids cannot play in the backyard, just move!! Nobody is trapped. This is America. You can do anything you want and be anything you want. If you rely on other people to make your neighborhood better, you will be disappointed!! I have seen it happen over and over again. I am not making a personal attack on you specifically, I am trying to make a personal accountability point and you opened up an avenue for me to address it. Please do not take offense to that because i was not directed at you.
You're absolutely right about moving and we're working on it. And yes, a rich and interesting history can be found nearly anywhere. Whether it falls under your criteria of "rich" does not negate its very existence. And to be perfectly frank, I couldn't give a flip less about architecture in any real sense. I prefer nature to manmade beauty.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:27 PM

And without the man made beauty we would have a great existence in the heat all summer and the cold all winter. Last I checked we are still on the top of the food chain and will probably remain there for a few more years. If only the laws of nature and common sense still ruled our world.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:32 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,194,952 times
Every city has a 'rich' history. Actually, Memphis' history is considerably shorter than most great American cities, thus probably much less 'rich'. Memphis is, compared to most great American cities, quite young.

(Memphis does have a fascinating history, of course, but it's certainly not as 'rich' as many other cities. Memphis, btw, allows its history to haunt it on a routine basis. Forest Park? Confederate Park? Auction Avenue? Seriously, these are offensive reminders of Memphis 'rich' history.)

Old 06-02-2008, 04:05 PM

I do believe that most people do not get offended by those things and if you remove them from the public domain you are removing parts of history. When history is forgotten and not learned from then people have to have major event to remind them of why we should learn from our mistakes. The whole PC culture is one of the major problems with our society right now, people are scared to say what they mean and then when they are misunderstood they are forced to explain themselves. When in reality if people just said what they really mean to say things wouldnt be half as difficult. Memphis' history is very rich and not as young as you may think. Try this link Memphis History and Facts it might help clarify the history. At the Smithsonian in DC, Memphis is regarded as "one of the most historically significant cities in the US". There are a few other cities that I would say have a greater historical significance, Philidelphia, Washington, DC, New York, Boston, St. Augustine, FL and maybe charleston, SC and that one is questionable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis