U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 06:39 PM

6 posts, read 16,299 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Memphis this Fall for SCO and I was considering renting a studio at the Almadura Apts (on Stonewall) in midtown, but needs some info. I also looked into Town House Apts (On central Ave), The Gilmore, and The Rennaisance (Downtown, formerly 99 N. Main). I've listed them in order of first consideration. Any reviews, experiences, or opinions on these apartments would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 07:59 PM

247 posts, read 902,429 times
I have a friend who lives at Gilmore and she likes it there a lot. She hasn't encountered any problems. I'm afraid I do not know much about the other apartments you mentioned.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:24 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,094,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnik10884 View Post
I'm relocating to Memphis this Fall for SCO and I was considering renting a studio at the Almadura Apts (on Stonewall) in midtown, but needs some info. I also looked into Town House Apts (On central Ave), The Gilmore, and The Rennaisance (Downtown, formerly 99 N. Main). I've listed them in order of first consideration. Any reviews, experiences, or opinions on these apartments would be greatly appreciated.

OK today is your lucky day because I know about all of these apartments. First of all congrats and good luck at SCO I am pretty sure you will be spending alot of time in the Midtown area so I would suggest staying in Midtown-you'll want to be close to campus/Brooks Museum.

Almadura- I looked into these when I decided to move off campus. I liked the location, the inside of the apartments are your typical Midtown apts-crown molding (in most), hard wood floors and alot of charm which I like about those older midtown apartments. However, I always look at areas at night time and that intersection tends to get a little sketch at night and the apts are right on the corner. Being single and living alone I decided not to go with those. Actually there are some more apartments further down Stonewall. Its in a converted house and if you are in the area again check them out. There is normally a for rent sign with a number. Those converted homes normally have one entrance with a security door.

Townhouse apartments- Good choice. I lived there for one yr before moving downtown. Good price for one bedroom approx 600 when I was there. The reason I moved here was the gated parking which is one of the things I look for in apartments. I am not sure who the manager is now but I had no problems there and was even able to have my cat for just 10 bucks extra a month. I got the assigned parking in the garage-the main parking, although gated tends to get crowded and if you come in late you have to park on the street. If you move here, get on a high floor...there are 10 floors I believe. You'll have a good view of the nice homes in Central Gardens if you are facing the central side. FYI the building is run on a boiler (or whatever, I'm not an engineer) and you can't control whether you get heat or air...so when it gets cold in winter and you have a hot day you will need a fan because you won't have AC until it gets warm.

The Gilmore- I think this is a Turley property. Very nice, art-deco style. Some of the units have those cool Murphy tables. I liked them enough, secure entry but they were very small and for a larger unit -2 br it gets high-like 1200 or more, but they come with a washer/dryer. And since you are a student I assume you are on a tight budget. Mgmt is on point and very professional.

The Rennaisance- I actually looked at these recently. My lease will be up soon where I live and although I like my location it is not gated and I love downtown and am looking for secure, gated parking. These units are nice and big and affordable however it gets pricey for the 2 brs. I was not in love with them though and while there is secure parking (garage) the main entrance is not always locked...I just walked right in. But the door could have been broken-not sure. Again, I am female, single and those things matter to me. Guys might not care.

You can DM me with any other details. Please avoid the University Cabanas at all costs. It was the choice I finally made when I moved off campus. When I first moved there it was full of students like myself and had security at the entrance. After graduation I decided to stay there and save money (445 for a 2br). But after another yr it went downhill and I decided to move (nevermind the huge cockroaches *gasp*)...so I moved to Central. I have a co-worker who moved to Midtown Place on Poplar. I think he got a 2br for under 700. He likes it. I don't, its not gated. I moved to the Fielder Square Downtown for a yr. It was and still is everything I want in an apt. Secure entry, gated and free parking garage and PRIME location. I had one of those you could view the games from. It was alot of fun but hella expensive. I think they have studios for 650 but you need to call them.

I highly recommend checking out Apartment Ratings - Apartments for Rent with Ratings and Reviews from Actual Renters. It has real reviews from actual renters. And Midtown Property Management & Realty - Memphis Homes & Apartments has Midtown apartments that will be close to campus. Good luck.

Push

Old 05-25-2008, 05:01 AM

775 posts, read 2,259,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkinswife View Post
OK today is your lucky day because I know about all of these apartments. First of all congrats and good luck at SCO I am pretty sure you will be spending alot of time in the Midtown area so I would suggest staying in Midtown-you'll want to be close to campus/Brooks Museum.

Almadura- I looked into these when I decided to move off campus. I liked the location, the inside of the apartments are your typical Midtown apts-crown molding (in most), hard wood floors and alot of charm which I like about those older midtown apartments. However, I always look at areas at night time and that intersection tends to get a little sketch at night and the apts are right on the corner. Being single and living alone I decided not to go with those. Actually there are some more apartments further down Stonewall. Its in a converted house and if you are in the area again check them out. There is normally a for rent sign with a number. Those converted homes normally have one entrance with a security door.

Townhouse apartments- Good choice. I lived there for one yr before moving downtown. Good price for one bedroom approx 600 when I was there. The reason I moved here was the gated parking which is one of the things I look for in apartments. I am not sure who the manager is now but I had no problems there and was even able to have my cat for just 10 bucks extra a month. I got the assigned parking in the garage-the main parking, although gated tends to get crowded and if you come in late you have to park on the street. If you move here, get on a high floor...there are 10 floors I believe. You'll have a good view of the nice homes in Central Gardens if you are facing the central side. FYI the building is run on a boiler (or whatever, I'm not an engineer) and you can't control whether you get heat or air...so when it gets cold in winter and you have a hot day you will need a fan because you won't have AC until it gets warm.

The Gilmore- I think this is a Turley property. Very nice, art-deco style. Some of the units have those cool Murphy tables. I liked them enough, secure entry but they were very small and for a larger unit -2 br it gets high-like 1200 or more, but they come with a washer/dryer. And since you are a student I assume you are on a tight budget. Mgmt is on point and very professional.

The Rennaisance- I actually looked at these recently. My lease will be up soon where I live and although I like my location it is not gated and I love downtown and am looking for secure, gated parking. These units are nice and big and affordable however it gets pricey for the 2 brs. I was not in love with them though and while there is secure parking (garage) the main entrance is not always locked...I just walked right in. But the door could have been broken-not sure. Again, I am female, single and those things matter to me. Guys might not care.

You can DM me with any other details. Please avoid the University Cabanas at all costs. It was the choice I finally made when I moved off campus. When I first moved there it was full of students like myself and had security at the entrance. After graduation I decided to stay there and save money (445 for a 2br). But after another yr it went downhill and I decided to move (nevermind the huge cockroaches *gasp*)...so I moved to Central. I have a co-worker who moved to Midtown Place on Poplar. I think he got a 2br for under 700. He likes it. I don't, its not gated. I moved to the Fielder Square Downtown for a yr. It was and still is everything I want in an apt. Secure entry, gated and free parking garage and PRIME location. I had one of those you could view the games from. It was alot of fun but hella expensive. I think they have studios for 650 but you need to call them.

I highly recommend checking out Apartment Ratings - Apartments for Rent with Ratings and Reviews from Actual Renters. It has real reviews from actual renters. And Midtown Property Management & Realty - Memphis Homes & Apartments has Midtown apartments that will be close to campus. Good luck.

Push
Ok, curiosity is about to kill this cat. Why would a student at the Southern College of Optometry particularly care about being close to Brooks Museum?

Old 05-25-2008, 06:19 AM

232 posts, read 863,142 times
There's lots to 'see' there?!

Have a great holiday everyone.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 16,299 times
Default Thank you for your insight pushkinswife

Thank you so much for your insight. You were very informative. I am also a single female with similar concerns as yourself. Over the past weekend I've looked at so many places and still torn between Almadura and Townhouse.The 9 month lease at Almadura is very helpful and within my budget $500 for a studio. The Townhouse Apartments were in a better location, but the studio was smaller and floorplan wasn't great at $460+$40parking. I'm going to drive by them tonight and check out the area.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
Ok, curiosity is about to kill this cat. Why would a student at the Southern College of Optometry particularly care about being close to Brooks Museum?

Tigergal it was late I thought for some strange reason they were going to the college of art! LOL

Old 05-25-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnik10884 View Post
Thank you so much for your insight. You were very informative. I am also a single female with similar concerns as yourself. Over the past weekend I've looked at so many places and still torn between Almadura and Townhouse.The 9 month lease at Almadura is very helpful and within my budget $500 for a studio. The Townhouse Apartments were in a better location, but the studio was smaller and floorplan wasn't great at $460+$40parking. I'm going to drive by them tonight and check out the area.
Yeah I understand your concern. Ultimately, it will depend on your budget. Ah, the parking was 40 for covered? They have went up. It was 35 when I lived there. Yeah, the floorplans were odd enough for 1brs too-kinda cramped and not much space BUT all units come with balconies (I think) and they are very large. Very nice view if you get a high floor. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:25 AM

775 posts, read 2,259,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkinswife View Post
Tigergal it was late I thought for some strange reason they were going to the college of art! LOL
I thought I was just missing something completely obvious (as has been known to happen before!).

Old 05-26-2008, 07:02 PM

101 posts, read 304,949 times
I live at the Bristol on Union and I am a stone's throw from SCO. It is a bit pricey, but like you I am a single female living alone and feel like it is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis