Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 01:42 AM

45 posts, read 196,058 times

Advertisements

Despite the high crime and tons of negativity I am excited to move into Midtown next month. I spent a few days with my cousin in Cordova and it just made me think about how I, personally, could never live in a suburb type community. To me all the subdivisions look so similar and the houses seem so standard. A lot of these places seem so new and like they have no history or culture. I grew up in an old small town so that probably has something to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 05:15 AM

88 posts, read 293,504 times
One suburb is not the same as another. It's kind of like when someone tells me that they don't like wine.

They just haven't found the wine that they like, there are hundreds of different flavors.

On this block no two houses are the same. There is a house that has the same floor plan as mine on the next block though.

I don't think your problem is with architecture though, is it? It's probably the cookie-cutter mentality. Everyone mows their grass on Saturday, Everyone leaves for work at the same time, etc.

My response to that is... That's attitude man. You don't have to buy into it. Bring your own flavor into the mix.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:42 AM

232 posts, read 985,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlequhnBoy View Post
Despite the high crime and tons of negativity I am excited to move into Midtown next month. I spent a few days with my cousin in Cordova and it just made me think about how I, personally, could never live in a suburb type community. To me all the subdivisions look so similar and the houses seem so standard. A lot of these places seem so new and like they have no history or culture. I grew up in an old small town so that probably has something to do with it.
The "high crime" comment speaks volumes to me, a father of four! You must not be visiting the right subdivisions. Where I have lived and now live, the houses are beautiful, full of amenities (3 car garage, granite, SS, 5 BR, 4 ba, tile galore, landscaping, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc) and the neighborhoods are full of great people, parents and kids and the schools are excellent without the high (est) taxes you enjoy in Memphis!

The midtown area is full of charm and great houses, I agree, but as a parent, the charms of midtown are outweighed by the 'cookie cutter' neighborhood I live in.

I grew up on the east coast, and moved here from Santa Monica, so I have a pretty open mind. I also thought like you regarding the 'burbs, but I am happy to report that life out here is fine! I could care less about history or culture in midtown (there is very little in most MOST of the houses there anyway), but crime, schools, safety, family values and peace and quiet are high on my list of important features when deciding where to live. And, where I grew up, the town was founded in 1670 and was FULL of REAL history and culture, and amazing colonial, Queen Anne and Victorian houses. Midtown homes are fairly plain, IMO, although there are tons of very fine homes. IMO, a lot of midtown is 'cookie cutter.'

Old 06-06-2008, 08:44 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,472,732 times
I personally don't care for suburbs.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:15 AM

15,967 posts, read 20,946,204 times
I've been looking at areas to move to and I agree with HB about the feel of most newer subdivisions. To me they tend to look like the same half dozen floor plans were used over and over again with slight modifications, maybe different exterior treatments.
I like areas where the styles are mixed up, a nice little clapboard cottage next door to a brick rancher, and down the street is a huge old Victorian monstrosity, and so forth. I guess I'd rather have a neighborhood that 'grew' over time, as opposed to a neighborhood that was 'built'.
But then I'm a nut case who looks at floor plan magazines for the sheer fun of it, oohs and ahs over houses in movies, and does old house tours so I can drool over the beautiful wood and stone work. I just went through an older neighborhood in Knoxville where I wish I could just pop the houses open and look at them like they were doll houses LOL.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:28 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,330,072 times
I imagine you go on the Central Gardens home tours every year?

Old 06-06-2008, 11:44 AM

15,967 posts, read 20,946,204 times
No, just once. I do most of my looky loos when I'm on vacation in other places.
It's funny how when you live in a place you don't 'do' things in your own hometown. I've never seen a lot of things Memphis is famous for. I imagine that when I finally move from here I will suddenly find my interest in Memphis attractions has grown.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:18 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,293,680 times
When I lived in Memphis, it was hard to find a person who had been to Graceland in the last 20 years. And very few of my acquaintances (many of whom had lived in Memphis their entire lives) had ever been to Mud Island River Park. And it's nearly impossible to find someone in Memphis who has been to Chucalissa.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:53 PM
R Z

31 posts, read 91,242 times
While I live in the city, I have no problem living elsewhere. The difference to me would be comute time. I believe the original poster claimed to be from a small town. In that case Memphis would seem to be huge in comparison unless you break it down per location. So if you consider midtown it's own place, then that would make sense. I think each area that makes up Shelby County has it's own merit and things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis