Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 02:11 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
There is a state requirement for insurance. In fact, you are legally required to show proof of insurance before you can drive a car off the lot. There's a law on the books now also that if you are pulled over fora any reason, you must show your proof of insurance or you have to go to court. This doesn't mean it's actually enforced however.

Here's the link to state insurance requirement laws: III - What are the driving laws in my state?
Thanks, I didn't realize that. I wonder how long has that been on the books? I seem to remember in the 90s there wasn't such a requirement. Then again, I wasn't of driving age back then... Maybe I'm just rumor-mongering...

Old 06-08-2008, 05:06 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Thanks, I didn't realize that. I wonder how long has that been on the books? I seem to remember in the 90s there wasn't such a requirement. Then again, I wasn't of driving age back then... Maybe I'm just rumor-mongering...

The Tennessee Financial Responsibility Law went into effect in 1977.

In what year did Tennessee require auto liability??

Old 06-09-2008, 02:41 PM
R Z

31 posts, read 91,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikBrooks View Post
The worst drivers, bar none, and with no close second - is Boston, MA.
Well if you lived in a city where they have no "R"s in their words and their winters are 10 months long, you'd be pissy too!

Old 06-11-2008, 04:08 AM

88 posts, read 294,632 times
Yesterday I saw some typical Memphis bad driving. Guy didn't see me and cut in front of me. But it wasn't too bad

Also I was sitting behind a guy at a light. The light changed. The guy didn't move. After 3 seconds a Bostonian would be laying on his horn. I thought, "I'm home. I'm in the south, I have an air conditioner. I'm not in a hurry."

Maybe one or two seconds later the passing traffic snapped him out of it. I saw him glance at me in the rear view mirror and wave at me. I could feel the "Thanks for your patience" vibes from him.

Nah, gimme the south any day

Old 06-11-2008, 11:17 PM

82 posts, read 279,147 times
I disagree too. I lived in Birmingham for 2 years, they didn't even use their turn signals, and if you used yours they didn't slow down to let you over, the sped up to get past you because you're going too slow. Also I never saw anyone flash their lights behind me because I was going to slow until I moved down there.

Also, I went up north for my honeymoon. I was doing 70 in a 55 and people were still honking their horns and passing me.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:52 PM

625 posts, read 4,571,432 times
I have lived in Boston and I've seen WAY more idiot drivers in Memphis than pretty much anywhere else I've ever traveled. And as far as the honking if you don't go when the light turns green, yes they do that in Boston but if you are first in line then it's your responsibility to get moving as fast as you can (of course checking cross traffic) because people are trying to get through the light! It annoys me to no end when I'm in line and see 4 or 5 car gaps in the cars ahead of me going through the green, get moving because I'm going to get stuck back here! I have things to do and sitting at red lights all day is not one of them.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:09 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times
I used to think it was silly when people talked about the bad drivers in Memphis until I moved. Now I see why. It's just crazy how selfish everyone drives and how much weaving in and out of traffic goes on for absolutely no reason. The courtesies of interstate driving just dont exist there. There is no 'passing' lane...there is 'whatever lane I darn well want to drive in' lane. And when people enter the interstate from an exit, just watch as they fly across four lanes of traffic immediately instead of politely entering their specified lane and working their way over. There just isnt any sense in this stuff.

I used to think it was the LAW that I drive into the middle of an intersection when a light is green and I'm turning left. I thought this because people will almost rear-end you if you don't do this! My husband told me once that it is entirely up to me whether I want to do this and not to let other drivers bully you into pulling out into the middle of an intersection to wait...so I don't anymore. Out of sheer stubborness now.

My husband and I visited Vegas for the first time two years ago and we were almost open-mouthed at how well the traffic flowed there. Like night and day.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:24 AM

6 posts, read 16,066 times
Default Miami Drivers

Miami drivers are not only terrifying, but homicidal. We have incredible road rage. Everyone is in a hurry, big expensive cars own the road. Cell phone conversations are much more important than paying attention to the road. Stop lights are only a suggestion. My current favorite manuver is to cross from the far left lane in front of the cars in the right lanes to make a right turn or vice versa. Patience and courtesy are so rare that when it occurs, we don't know what to do.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:37 PM

88 posts, read 294,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
And as far as the honking if you don't go when the light turns green, yes they do that in Boston but if you are first in line then it's your responsibility to get moving as fast as you can (of course checking cross traffic) because people are trying to get through the light! It annoys me to no end when I'm in line and see 4 or 5 car gaps in the cars ahead of me going through the green, get moving because I'm going to get stuck back here! I have things to do and sitting at red lights all day is not one of them.
... and that is my point exactly. Clearly you brought your Boston attitude with you. That's OK, there are a whole lot of people that feel that there is nothing at all wrong with the "Type A, rush around all my life until I drop dead of a heart attack without stopping to smell a single rose..." lifestyle but in general that's not the southern way. I once heard Gentleman defined as someone who tries to make everyone around him comfortable. Nothing is so important that you couldn't wait a few seconds for someone that might just be so distracted by the beauty of the South or the hospitality and kind indulgence of the native Southerner. There is no need to shatter a moment of appreciation because you were so thoughtless as to not leave yourself time to get to where you are going and then want to take it out on everyone around you.

...but bless your heart anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I used to think it was silly when people talked about the bad drivers in Memphis until I moved. Now I see why. It's just crazy how selfish everyone drives and how much weaving in and out of traffic goes on for absolutely no reason. The courtesies of interstate driving just dont exist there. There is no 'passing' lane...there is 'whatever lane I darn well want to drive in' lane. And when people enter the interstate from an exit, just watch as they fly across four lanes of traffic immediately instead of politely entering their specified lane and working their way over. There just isnt any sense in this stuff.
No there's not. But as you saw, not all the drivers down here are southern.

Quote:
I used to think it was the LAW that I drive into the middle of an intersection when a light is green and I'm turning left. I thought this because people will almost rear-end you if you don't do this! My husband told me once that it is entirely up to me whether I want to do this and not to let other drivers bully you into pulling out into the middle of an intersection to wait...so I don't anymore. Out of sheer stubborness now.
So for you stubborness is a quality trait? One that you should encourage and take pride in?

I'll take patience myself --- but bless your heart too.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:57 PM

196 posts, read 692,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikBrooks View Post
... I once heard Gentleman defined as someone who tries to make everyone around him comfortable. Nothing is so important that you couldn't wait a few seconds for someone that might just be so distracted by the beauty of the South or the hospitality and kind indulgence of the native Southerner. There is no need to shatter a moment of appreciation because you were so thoughtless as to not leave yourself time to get to where you are going and then want to take it out on everyone around you.

...but bless your heart anyway.
Exactly and well said.

Leave for work on time, chill out, and let me drive the speed limit in peace.

Not only that, but if someone is inattentive momentarily you have no idea why or what burden they may be carrying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis