Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:15 PM

19 posts, read 47,358 times

Advertisements

I went to Levi Elementary..lived in Whitehaven way back in the 60's as a kid and it was nice. Remember when public housing was built down from Levi on Hwy 61 I believe, the area slowly fell apart. It's ashame to say this but it's the truth. Neighborhoods gradually decline as they get older and I'm not blaming a particular race. People want to live in a good area in the city..people move out to improve their life, people move in to improve their life..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 02:51 PM

66 posts, read 144,871 times
The reason neighborhoods decline is the law abiding citizens be they black, white, brown, or whatever, give up and let crime takeover.

I live in a very racially diverse neighborhood. My friends be they church or social or work would not live here for anything. I see that as their problem.

My neighborhood is not perfect but there are many wonderful people living here that I actually know which does not happen so many times in the larger suburbs.

Rentals are definitely a problem in our area in that the landlords who live in the suburbs simply only care about the rent and not who is renting. They don't care that 20 young men are living in a single family home even though they are violating codes against this.

City code is 3 cars to a residence..

However in my neighborhood we have run off several of these violaters. I could care less who lives in my neighborhood. I do care that those residents are legal, law abiding, caring people who keep their house up to the standards of the neighborhood.

If you don't want to abide by the laws then live somewhere else. I am not moving.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:25 AM

628 posts, read 1,678,306 times
Real Estate Recycling
Hickory Hill's big boxes gain new life as businesses move out
By Bill Dries

Real Estate Recycling - Memphis Daily News - Business, Government, Politics, News, Public Records, Public Notices, Crime Report, Neighborhood Report, Marketing Lists, Research

Photos: Lance Murphey

David Harrison, left, and Craig Scott of Springfield Sign & Neon install signage on the Incredible Pizza Co. in part of the old Macy's store at Hickory Ridge Mall after a storm damaged and shut down the mall.

Jay Jackson of Specialty Abatement is part of a crew removing asbestos from Marina Cove apartments.

The Statue of Liberation through Christ stands outside Hickory Hill’s World Overcomers Outreach Ministries Church, which renovated and reopened Hickory Ridge Mall.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,974,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam530 View Post
City code is 3 cars to a residence..
Really?? Can you provide a link to that code, or quote it? I'd like to know what exceptions (if any) there might be. You see, I own 4 cars...all properly licensed, insured and in perfect running condition - not junkers. My wife and I drive all of 'em on a regular basis. I suppose I'd get fined and maybe have to sell one of 'em if a neighbor complained (they won't....I'm nice to my neighbors ). I know LOTS of people - car collectors - with more than 3 cars on their property (most of 'em garaged, of course).

Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 AM

550 posts, read 601,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
The Statue of Liberation through Christ stands outside Hickory Hill’s World Overcomers Outreach Ministries Church, which renovated and reopened Hickory Ridge Mall.
Can't help but think of Ghostbusters 2 when I see that statue. Keep thinking it will come to life and start smacking cars in the air with that cross.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:33 PM

66 posts, read 144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Really?? Can you provide a link to that code, or quote it? I'd like to know what exceptions (if any) there might be. You see, I own 4 cars...all properly licensed, insured and in perfect running condition - not junkers. My wife and I drive all of 'em on a regular basis. I suppose I'd get fined and maybe have to sell one of 'em if a neighbor complained (they won't....I'm nice to my neighbors ). I know LOTS of people - car collectors - with more than 3 cars on their property (most of 'em garaged, of course).
Just go to Memphis City Gov and you can find the code violations listing.

If you have them garaged then, you are fine and yes they will over look it unless your neighbors complain. Mainly don't park them your yard.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:10 AM

62 posts, read 193,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
Can't help but think of Ghostbusters 2 when I see that statue. Keep thinking it will come to life and start smacking cars in the air with that cross.
DELETED: orphaned (response to a deleted post)

That is hilarious!

The statue really is hideous, and honestly religiously offensive to me.

Last edited by JMT; 12-05-2010 at 05:47 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 09:04 PM

628 posts, read 1,678,306 times
Power Center Academy plans expansion with $50 million mixed-use development
Memphis Business Journal

Power Center Academy plans expansion with $50 million mixed-use development | Memphis Business Journal

COURTESY ASKEW HARGRAVES HARCOURT & ASSOCIATES
Artist’s rendering of 900-seat performing arts center, part of Power Center Academy’s plans to create a community around its school expansion.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:43 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,733,354 times
Let's all be honest with ourselves; that statue alone was the reason people fled Hickory Hill.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:06 PM

25 posts, read 110,885 times
What tigertate said and then some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis