U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:07 AM

3,381 posts, read 8,832,051 times
"East memphis" has a variety of zip codes, but downtown is all 38103 (at least the areas where you would want to live) and midtown is 38104 and 38112.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 06:22 PM

61 posts, read 106,034 times
Unhappy helpful info

If you have to move to Memphis. Don't buy in shelby county unless its very short term even in good areas. I'm leaving the area asap. The area where i live was the place 2 be 15-20 years ago ( i know thats a long time but most house loans are for 30 years). And now there are house in my area that are section 8. Unless you have $$ and can live in Eads, Germantown, or Collierville stay away from Memphis. Every good area will be bad shortly.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,965 times
I caught this thread while looking for something else on the net. I live in Cordova in one of the safest, most beautiful neighborhoods in the county. It's called The Gardens of Riveredge. The kids in our neighborhood go to Houston High in Germantown. We are in the 38018 zip. The homes in our community are on large tree lined streets where the kids play outside and the neighbors are friendly. We're closer to Germantown than to the mall area but there is plenty of shopping in the up-scale area of Saddle Creek. However only 15 minutes from the mall. You can get a teriffic deal on a home in our area because of foreclosures. We're trying to sell our 4-bedroom home that listed last year for nearly 500,000 and can't get a looker at $350.000 because folks only want to see foreclosures. Guess it's a good thing we love the house and the community!

Old 06-20-2009, 07:20 AM

235 posts, read 667,614 times
Don't move to Cordova.

I have friends who live around Wolfchase and their neighborhood has gotten bad.

My other friends just moved out of the "Creek" series of homes in Hickory Hill (near Germantown Road and whatever the name of the road is that Raines turns into), I would rather live in Hickory Hill.

I personally don't like mid-town but I would feel safer in mid-town.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:44 AM

1,010 posts, read 2,586,820 times
You shouldn't judge Cordova by that one neighborhood any more than you should judge Midtown or East Memphis by one neighborhood. Cordova covers a LOT of area....and there are lots of places that are very nice and very safe.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:11 PM

113 posts, read 416,684 times
Since my last post almost a year ago, I have moved apartments -- I'm now at Walnut Hill Apartments, at Forest Hill Irene and Walnut Grove -- still in Cordova.

This area of Cordova is VERY different than where I was, near G'town Parkway and Dexter. It's much quieter and the area itself seems nicer.

Cordova is so weird -- parts of it are still super-nice -- big homes, friendly neighborhoods, etc. But then other parts of it are starting to resemble Hickory Hill. I don't think that all of Cordova is ever going to turn completely unsafe. The one thing Cordova has that Hickory Hill never did is huge mansion-like houses and more upscale neighborhoods. I don't think a 7000 square foot custom designed mansion is ever going to sell for something absurd like $70,000 then get turned into a section 8 rental.

Still, I would not buy in Cordova (unless you can afford one of the aforementioned big homes) -- the area is too unstable and it's hard to know which areas will still be nice in the future and which ones will fall victim to the "Hickory Hill influenza."

Old 06-21-2009, 02:53 PM

94 posts, read 248,498 times
Well, it's been almost a year. We moved to the area in September of last year. We chose Fayette County because it was still low and close to my husband's job in Arlington. It ended up that I got a job in Memphis, I don't know what area you consider it, so my drive is 26 miles! But, I'm REALLY glad we didn't choose Cordova. With property taxes alone to consider, that was enough. But in the areas we could afford I think we would have had problems. My son already has very high anxiety so the crime reports would have freaked him out. I'm glad we chose Oakland, but the drive to work each day and to my son's private school is getting old.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:44 AM

340 posts, read 782,958 times
If I stacked a 26 mile commute on top of the other problems with living in Memphis, I think I'd just hang it up and go live in a cave. While the problems of Memphis are well known, Memphis has some really good points. One of them is the ability to live in nice areas with good public schools and relatively short commutes. 26 miles? Is that one way or round trip?

Old 06-30-2009, 07:56 PM

94 posts, read 248,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMGrad92 View Post
If I stacked a 26 mile commute on top of the other problems with living in Memphis, I think I'd just hang it up and go live in a cave. While the problems of Memphis are well known, Memphis has some really good points. One of them is the ability to live in nice areas with good public schools and relatively short commutes. 26 miles? Is that one way or round trip?
It's one way. But either way, I would have had to do it, because our kids have to go to school in private schools that are about 26 miles from Oakland (in Fayette county) We love the area we live in, the schools are more of the issue. Both of our kids have special needs. I'm glad we bought where we did in a way because our house payment and taxes are nice and low. Of course I'm driving a lot but oh well, it's gotta be done.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:13 PM

340 posts, read 782,958 times
The school issue is definitely holding Fayette County back. If good, affordable private schools or good public schools existed in the area, I'd bet Fayette County's population would double in the next five years.

Sorry about the commute, but at least you love where you live. Imagine the commute if you hated going home at night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis