Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 12,285 times

Advertisements

We just moved here from NY, after living in CA and IN. So far, we love it. We live in east Memphis, close to Germantown. I think it's very pretty, green, and flowers all over, thanks to the humidity. All our neighbors are super friendly and kind, the kids are at camp at the jcc and loving it. It's hot and muggy, but I actually like that. I don't have to drive more than 10 minutes anywhere. My husband works downtown by UT med. All is good so far. As far as crime, from what I understand, the real violent stuff is people who know bad people...so that's not a real concern to me. Yes, don't leave your garage door open, house unlocked, etc. Other than that, all I can say is, we are happy here and this forum can be so depressingly negative. Don't judge Memphis by this......see for yourself and talk to as many people as you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 11:15 AM

104 posts, read 364,216 times
East Memphis is not bad at all (in spite of what the naysayers write here). I am perplexed by lawns though. Coming from apt living I can't seem to figure them out.

Ex-Pat

Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 AM

774 posts, read 2,581,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatnortherner View Post
East Memphis is not bad at all (in spite of what the naysayers write here). I am perplexed by lawns though. Coming from apt living I can't seem to figure them out.

Ex-Pat
What perplexes you about lawns?

Old 07-08-2008, 11:40 AM

142 posts, read 637,805 times
Some people haven't had an issue with crime, others have.

Just me personally, my car was stolen from the U of M campus, and my house just off of Spottswood was shot up one afternoon, by drug dealers chasing some crack addict. I did not know the perp in either case (or assume I don't, as I don't associate with drug dealers or car thieves).

I also know people who have been held up at gunpoint (two occurrences) as well as their home burglarized (three occurrences)...and I'm sure there are others I know that have had issues with crime that I just don't know.

Also, has has been mentioned, Memphis has other issues that aren't related to crime. Racism, on both sides, is a HUUUUUGE problem there and is one of the main reasons I moved to Nashville.

I hope for the best for Memphis but expect the worst. JMO.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:42 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,371,912 times
I was wondering this too Seems like if we are complaining about front yards, we are nitpicking a wee too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post

Old 07-08-2008, 11:46 AM

774 posts, read 2,581,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I was wondering this too Seems like if we are complaining about front yards, we are nitpicking a wee too much.
Amen! It's a pretty simple cycle. If it grows, mow it. When it stops growing, stop mowing.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:46 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzloolue View Post
Numbers don't lie?

Since when?

Mark Twain used to say that there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

It's one of those speak for yourself kind of things.
Hmmm. So you challenge the numbers?

Calendar year 2006 --

2,416 burglaries for every 100,000 people (#2 in nation)
8,358 property crimes for every 100,000 people (#2 in nation)
62 rapes for every 100,000 people (#15 in nation)
780 robberies for every 100,000 people (#6 in nation)
1,125 aggravated assaults for every 100,000 people (#3 in nation)
1,989 violent crimes for every 100,000 people (#3 in nation)
21.6 murders for every 100,000 people (#13 in nation)

What kind of insider info do you have that indicates that these numbers are fabricated? Perhaps they are. I grabbed them from Wikipedia, which allegedly grabbed them from the FBI, which of course got its info from the Memphis Police Department. However, if you know more about the 'actual' numbers than the Memphis Police Department and the FBI, I really wish you would share them here. There are quite a few people who stop by this board to ask about Memphis crime and such, and none of us want to feed those folks false information. So again, please, if you can thwart the numbers, please by all means do so.

Citing the Memphis Police Department and FBI reports, btw, does not make one 'negative'. What a silly notion. It makes one a realist. (Unless, of course, we're citing incorrect numbers, in which case, again, if you have evidence that the numbers are incorrect, please do speak up.)

BTW, if you read Mr. Twain's remark in context (he was quoting another author), you will see that you misused his quote.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:06 PM

In terms of what the OP was asking, "do you think Memphis is scary?" that is completely subjective. You can cite all the stats for her to read, but it's up to her to determine if she finds it to be "scary." I've lived here a long time, I know the stats, but I am not scared in my day to day life. Of course I've had a few run-ins that were unsettling, but nothing that made me want to leave town.

All those stats listed above, they do not affect me in my day-to-day life. Of course, indirectly every crime will end up "affecting" the citizens of Memphis. But if the OP wants to know if she will be scared upon living here, only time will show that to her.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:22 PM

104 posts, read 364,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post

Everything. Most NYers know jack about gardening. I grew up in a house, but it was surrounded by concrete.

Ex-Pat

Old 07-08-2008, 01:30 PM

I wouldn't call mowing the lawn "gardening." There is gardening, then there is pushing a mower back and forth for an hour. I would call that a good thing about Memphis - the fact that homes in the city have yards at all, let alone huge sprawling yards like in east Memphis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatnortherner View Post
Everything. Most NYers know jack about gardening. I grew up in a house, but it was surrounded by concrete.

Ex-Pat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis