Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:08 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikBrooks View Post
Have you ever heard of the Society for Creative Anachronism? They celebrate the middle ages in the same way, authentic costumes, armor, knights, jousting, the whole shebang. Except of course they use rattan swords instead of real ones when fighting. Nobody gets hurt very badly.

For a lot of people though the problems in the US began with the Civil War. My family calls it the War of Northern Aggression. It is undeniably when the federal government began asserting power over the state governments. It is when we lost the Republic as a form of government and a Federalism was born.

We lost the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution with that war. A lot of people are not pleased with that.

It's true that ending slavery is a good thing but the war wasn't about slavery. Note that Lincoln was a huge racist. He wanted to make interracial relationships illegal and he wanted to ship all blacks out of the country, first to Africa and when that was too expensive to Haiti.
While the war wasn't just about slavery, it was a significant part. If you don't believe me, read the declarations of secession and slavery is a substantial part of them.

Declarations of Secession

Old 07-11-2008, 04:18 AM

93 posts, read 359,772 times
When I moved down here 15-16 years ago I thought most every one would be wearing cowboy boots

Old 07-11-2008, 05:02 AM

88 posts, read 294,610 times
I really don't want to argue the causes of the War of Northern Aggression here. In response to the declaration of secessions offered there are other declarations of secession that didn't even mention slavery.

As with many wars there were multiple causes. If you read Abraham Lincoln's first innaugural address you will find that slavery was not one of the reasons. It is my opinion, and the opinion of many others, that the Civil War was all about whether or not a state had the right to secede or not. The Southern states seceded, the Northern states denied that.

War ensued.

The north didn't want to admit, "We attacked you to bully you back into our union." because that would make clear the obvious - they enslaved the south. So they had to have a high-sounding reason for their invasion - ending slavery sounded good. Significantly slavery was not ended in the north until several years AFTER the War of Norther Aggression ended so it really wasn't about slavery.

Slavery was a cool justification for overt and, by modern standards, thoroughly illegal war.

I have a sticker of a Confederate flag on my back windshield. The words around it say "Heritage, not hate". I am certainly not a bigot. I'm proud that I am very color blind. I spent years in Texas so yes, I wear a cowboy hat (Stetson) and boots.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:35 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
I looked up this Bedford Forest person,
Was his KKK the same racist KKK we have today or was it different?
Well Forrest did disavow the KKK when it became too violent in the late 1800's. But he essentially started it. He's a colorful character in history, a great general, but a man of his times - Memphis slave trader, and tied to a controversial massacre of black soldiers at Fort Pillow.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Well Forrest did disavow the KKK when it became too violent in the late 1800's. But he essentially started it. He's a colorful character in history, a great general, but a man of his times - Memphis slave trader, and tied to a controversial massacre of black soldiers at Fort Pillow.
What a shame but you know what? Hindsight is 20/20. Let's just be happy that we live in the 2000's where we know better.

We are busy making DIFFERENT mistakes.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:55 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
Quote:
I really don't want to argue the causes of the War of Northern Aggression here. In response to the declaration of secessions offered there are other declarations of secession that didn't even mention slavery.

As with many wars there were multiple causes. If you read Abraham Lincoln's first innaugural address you will find that slavery was not one of the reasons. It is my opinion, and the opinion of many others, that the Civil War was all about whether or not a state had the right to secede or not. The Southern states seceded, the Northern states denied that.

War ensued.

The north didn't want to admit, "We attacked you to bully you back into our union." because that would make clear the obvious - they enslaved the south. So they had to have a high-sounding reason for their invasion - ending slavery sounded good. Significantly slavery was not ended in the north until several years AFTER the War of Norther Aggression ended so it really wasn't about slavery.

Slavery was a cool justification for overt and, by modern standards, thoroughly illegal war.
What a very skewed version of history. It's sad there are still people out there who buy rewritten history. Fortunately, this kind of thing is fading away.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
What a very skewed version of history. It's sad there are still people out there who buy rewritten history. Fortunately, this kind of thing is fading away.

Not going to argue with you Strumpeace other than to say that my sources were official documents. Nothing was rewritten. I got everything from the horse's mouth and my opinion, Sir, is every bit as valid as your's.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:59 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Not going to argue with you Strumpeace other than to say that my sources were official documents. Nothing was rewritten. I got everything from the horse's mouth and my opinion, Sir, is every bit as valid as your's.
How I would love to debate this topic but I think then this post will be shunted to the history forum, where there have been some excellent debates on the origins of this civil war by very knowledgable people. Be forewarned - people there know their history well, and you will be corrected sternly if you don't understand the complex political and social realities of that time (by myself, and by others). They don't take kindly to "revisionist history" when it's taken out of context to the period in discussion.

Suffice it to say, technically you are correct, their were multiple causes besides slavery, and it could be argued that the union and Lincoln was trying to seperate the issue of slavery from the issue of the preservation of the union, at least at the beginning phases of the war. But the institution of slavery was the main issue that caused the south to sucede, and it's correct that history judges that as the driving force and jusitification of the war.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:34 AM

196 posts, read 692,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
I looked up this Bedford Forest person,
Was his KKK the same racist KKK we have today or was it different?
NB Forrest was involved in setting up the KKK.

But what you rarely see mentioned is that he disbanded the KKK in 1868. Apparently it was too racist and violent even for Forrest.

So, the KKK may claim it is the same organization, but it is kind of open to interpretation.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:41 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
Good point...let's go back to the original question, which was flags in Memphis vs Seattle. Try and keep the history discussions to the history forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: