Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:04 AM

94 posts, read 374,523 times

Advertisements

My son's private school might be in that area. Any opinions or knowledge of the area? I'm considering looking at homes in that area, but have NO clue what it would be like there. The zip is 38117 Also, is there a website where you can look up crime records for an area in TN? Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 12:43 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
The Memphis police website has a crime tracker. I bellieve all the news websites have one as well (wmctv.com is one....)

Old 07-12-2008, 04:30 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worried4kids View Post
My son's private school might be in that area. Any opinions or knowledge of the area? I'm considering looking at homes in that area, but have NO clue what it would be like there. The zip is 38117 Also, is there a website where you can look up crime records for an area in TN? Thanks so much!!
Now, houses in 38117 will not allow your daughter to attend Shelby County Schools. She'll have to go to the district school in Memphis City Schools. There are a couple of private schools over there - which are you considering, if you don't mind my asking?

Old 07-13-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
Now, houses in 38117 will not allow your daughter to attend Shelby County Schools. She'll have to go to the district school in Memphis City Schools. There are a couple of private schools over there - which are you considering, if you don't mind my asking?
Concord - it's special ed private, and will probably best meet the needs of my son. For my daugther - what I do is check the school locater for each address we even look at. If it says Barltett HS or Bolton then I figure ok. If it says Cordova or Memphis city schools, we won't consider it. She only has 2 years left (counting this year)

I don't know if the homes in that area are going to be ok - I talked to a mom on an online support group that I belong to (autism mom's) and she said it might not be wise.

We found something on the border or Germantown and Memphis last night that was Germantown schools and it was incredible. But too far from my hubby's work. It's gonna take some real micro management to get this all right. His job is in Arlington, but Arlington's base price is way higher than what we want to pay in order for this to be a move up - instead of a lateral move.

Thank you everyone. I can't tell you how much this is helping me!

Old 07-13-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Concord - it's special ed private, and will probably best meet the needs of my son. For my daugther - what I do is check the school locater for each address we even look at. If it says Barltett HS or Bolton then I figure ok. If it says Cordova or Memphis city schools, we won't consider it. She only has 2 years left (counting this year)

I don't know if the homes in that area are going to be ok - I talked to a mom on an online support group that I belong to (autism mom's) and she said it might not be wise.

We found something on the border or Germantown and Memphis last night that was Germantown schools and it was incredible. But too far from my hubby's work. It's gonna take some real micro management to get this all right. His job is in Arlington, but Arlington's base price is way higher than what we want to pay in order for this to be a move up - instead of a lateral move.

Thank you everyone. I can't tell you how much this is helping me!
I can guarantee you without any hesitation that nothing in 38117 will be in the Shelby County School system. It's in Memphis city limits, so it will be in the Memphis City Schools.

The parts of 38117 that would be fine will have a higher price than Arlington. Anything right at Walnut Grove or between Walnut Grove and Poplar (around Concord) will be fine. It's a nice area. However, it is still Memphis City Schools. (BTW, Cordova isn 't it's own town - it's just a part of Memphis, so it's Memphis City Schools as well.)

Bartlett has some nice homes and the drive to Concord is doable - if a bit of a pain! (I drive from the Bartlett/Cordova area to the area Concord is in every day during the school year.

BTW, I've heard very good things about Concord.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:17 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
FWIW the district high school for a good part of the 38117 area is White Station. Being in district would give her daughter preference for the optional program, if she qualified. If, for whatever reason, the OP ends up inside city limits that would probably be the best way to go.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
FWIW the district high school for a good part of the 38117 area is White Station. Being in district would give her daughter preference for the optional program, if she qualified. If, for whatever reason, the OP ends up inside city limits that would probably be the best way to go.
The OP's child has a learning disability, so likely White Station wouldn't be a great fit for the services she seeks for her.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
The OP's child has a learning disability, so likely White Station wouldn't be a great fit for the services she seeks for her.
What's White Station and what program is that?

I keep going back and forth on areas. I think when we make our trip down there it will be so much easier. I found something that was on the border or memphis/germantown, and it was germantown schools but a memphis address! It was awesome. But too far from Arlington for my hubby.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
What's White Station and what program is that?

I keep going back and forth on areas. I think when we make our trip down there it will be so much easier. I found something that was on the border or memphis/germantown, and it was germantown schools but a memphis address! It was awesome. But too far from Arlington for my hubby.
White Station has an optional program for high-achieving, gifted students. It also has a regular school (which is on the state's troubled list).

You need to be careful about othe G'town/Memphis house. School locaters aren't always right. If it's in the Memphis city limits, it is not in Germantown schools.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:03 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
No, if it's a Memphis address, it is not a Germantown school. If in doubt, ask the neighbors where their kids go to school....they would know for sure, compared to some website or calling the dreaded school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis