Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:46 PM

6 posts, read 33,043 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Memphis in about a month and am looking for a place to live. I'm a 20-something female moving to Memphis with my boyfriend for 1 year while I'm on internship at UT. Safety and proximity to VA Medical Center are important. I've been looking at Downtown, Mud Island, and Midtown.
I'm currently trying to narrow down my options in order. Could anyone provide information about the safety of the following addresses? I think most are in Midtown (which I've heard can change from good to not-so-good very quickly).

1542 Tutwiler Avenue, 38104
247 Buntyn, 38111
3607 Kenwood, 38122 (Kenwood at Sevier)
McLean at Jefferson, 38104
2291 Nelson Avenue, 38104
813 S Cooper
1858 Vinton Avenue

Also, I'd appreciate any specific suggestions for other places that I might have missed.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 01:42 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,371,912 times
Default reply

1542 Tutwiler Avenue, 38104 - this area is further north, north of North Parkway. North Memphis is very rough, so I would be wary of this neighborhood

247 Buntyn, 38111 - this is right next to a very active railroad track - Central right by the football stadium. While the area is probably okay, those tracks.....those trains.....

3607 Kenwood, 38122 (Kenwood at Sevier) - east of Highland, south of Sam Cooper. Near High Point Terrace, probably a great area.

McLean at Jefferson, 38104 - Fine area of midtown. Right across from Catholic High.

2291 Nelson Avenue, 38104 - No. It's about half a block from East Parkway. Although this is probably Cooper Young, technically, that area is very rough.

813 S Cooper - this is a few blocks north of Cooper Young. Great area, but keep in mind - Cooper has a ton of traffic, until all hours of the night due to the nightlife area. I personally wouldn't want to live right on Cooper. You are near the trains again too, although they go over the road right there, so they do not blow their horns right at Cooper

1858 Vinton Avenue - very nice. Vinton and McLean, the heart of Central Gardens. Great area, no question about it. Depends on the actual place of course, but I would pick this location HANDS DOWN. (i'm biased a bit, I live in Central Gardens) But it IS among huge old historic homes, it's a great area right there.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:49 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,184 times
1542 Tutwiler Avenue, 38104 -- Not the best area, but not the worst either. I lived a couple of blocks from there for a couple of years. Some property crime.

247 Buntyn, 38111 -- I like that area and know of no major crime problems there. Some folks on this board may disagree.

3607 Kenwood, 38122 (Kenwood at Sevier) -- Good area, imo. Some property crime.

McLean at Jefferson, 38104 -- I like this area. 'Wanderers' do 'wander' in this area. Use common sense if you move there.

2291 Nelson Avenue, 38104 -- Near Cooper-Young. Good neighbors. Not far from some pretty rough neighborhoods, though.

813 S Cooper -- Same as above.

1858 Vinton Avenue -- Should be fine.

Overall, I think you have a pretty good list. Personally, address-wise (without knowing anything specific about the actual house/apartment), I think the McLean @ Jefferson address is the best. Having quick access to Overton Park is a cool amenity. I lived on Hawthorne for a while, and I loved being two blocks from the park. You would be close to Overton Square, which is far from its heyday but still kicking.

Have you visited Memphis?

Best wishes.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:29 PM

I do agree with Strumpeace - while the McLean at Vinton address would be best for me (residential area, families, quiet), the McLean at Jefferson would offer you quite a bit within walking distance, such as several restaurants/bars, the zoo, Overton Park, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Starbucks, gas stations. The area right there is a little more run-down (maybe I shouldn't phrase it that way) than the Central Gardens location probably is...more rentals in the area RIGHT there at Jefferson, some 1980's looking townhomes right there, etc.

I think if you are renting for a year, either location would be great. It's only a year, I imagine you are younger with no family, so being in an area that has some bums and vagrants wouldn't be a huge turn-off, and it is extremely close to UT and the VA.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the input! It's reassuring to know that someone who knows the area thinks that the list in good...

I have visited Memphis, but just for a day, which didn't give me much time to look around. My boyfriend and I are planning a trip this weekend to check out some places, but I wanted to know if I was on the right track with things since our time to look at things is limited.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:01 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,184 times
Personally, I think you're on a very good track. But it all depends on what issues are important to you and whether you are used to an urban setting. Have fun on your visit!

Old 07-16-2008, 06:01 PM

What about Parktown Place at Madison? I think the place is between Madison and Poplar on Belvedere.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:53 PM

Sorry, I found another one. Trezevant around Rhodes College. (I'm not sure if that is specific enough, but it's all I have).

It seems like housing gets snapped up pretty quickly in Memphis, since some of the places I was looking were only listed for a few days, but were already leased when I called today. Any idea if that is common?

Old 07-17-2008, 08:47 AM

No, that is a run-down area of Belvedere. They are working to get it nice again, but it's been a forgotten about, shady area of Belvedere for a long time.

Trezevant is not known as a great street overall.....you have to be wary of the Rhodes area. North of Rhodes is very bad. Rhodes has a huge 20 foot fence around it for a reason Seriously though, I think you'd be safer sticking south.

And yes, that is common. Usually places here a rented and people move in within a few days. Places don't rent months in advance like they do in other cities.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the help. I've got a few appointments, and hopefully I'll be able to find something this weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: