Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 04:22 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,371,912 times

Advertisements

Oh my, that's a horrible area of town. Not safe. I would not advise you to take a bus down there. Or living anywhere nearby. You could find a small place in midtown easily, but you'd need a car. You really need a car no matter what. :-/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 05:35 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Preferably a reliable, ugly old car, one not worth stealing.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:37 PM

6 posts, read 37,328 times
thank for the advice and sugesstion =) tons of helps.
any recomendation for buying an old car in memphis? i am going to look up by myself too.
Thx again for everything =)

Old 07-20-2008, 06:55 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Check out City Auto for inexpensive older used cars. It's where I bought my kids car. Lots of listings online. Huge lot in town.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:18 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,480,303 times
oh my goodness You don't need to be taking NO bus okay? You need to get a car girlfriend. That is not the best neighborhood to get a "first time" aquaintance with.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:57 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,184 times
I worked right beside the Kellogg plant for a little over a year. Most of the people who use the bus in that area work at Kellogg, the Depot business/industrial park, or one of the other nearby warehouses. The area is not great, and I would not recommend living anywhere near there. However, there is a busy police substation at the Depot, so there is a considerable police presence in the area.

Best wishes.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 PM

82 posts, read 279,019 times
The first place I'd look for a car is Craigslist. My mother is selling a Cadillac Seville for $2k. I think it's a 93.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:21 AM

6 posts, read 37,328 times
Default Thank everyone....

Hi everyone, thank for the suggestions and info you've given to me.. Ill buy a used car in Memphis.. Is it better to buy from a dealer/private party? Is the price really different by any chance??

Is there any carpooling/rideshare In Memphis? where people go to work together (those going to the same direction) and share the gas price?

If any, would someone please share the info with me. I've been looking online but i found hard time find the one match with me (destination and the origin place)

Thank you so much for the info =)
thank for the help

Old 07-27-2008, 11:05 AM

64 posts, read 89,112 times
You could rideshare or hitch-hike..with gas prices as high as they are, somebody would give you a ride I'm sure of that.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:27 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,018 times
Post Can you.............

Do some work ahead of time and see if there are other interns there the same time as you? That's what my daughter did near DC (because I was scared to death for her) and she ended up always having someone to go home with and travel in pairs with............Possibly a woman there at Kelloggs could give you some tips from past interns or a name or two of past interns that would be able to give you much more personal info.........Do not live anywhere near Lamar and Airways.......not even Hickory Hill area apartments. They might seem nice but are not a good part of town anymore. If you want more info, ask away. You want to always act as though you know where you are heading, even if you don't. There is also a newspaper called the East Memphis Shoppers News and I have found almost every car or used item in there to be quality and a good deal and nice people as well. Another idea is to see if there are some ads for a room near Memphis State........You would probably meet people your age around there as well.......You can also check out the Memphis State website for possible apartments/rooms. There are many more people walking around that area. However, you still need to be very careful, especially at night. Try not to go places alone at night.......Have a good cell phone!!! My daughter had a friend who rented the poolhouse of a huge house on Poplar Avenue and the family actually looked out for her and she them........It worked out beautifully. You might also call a couple of churches and see if any of them have ideas for rooming or maybe you could put an ad in their bulletin. Many people love to help college age kids.......Larger churches would be best such as Central Church or Bellevue Baptist Church. They are more likely to have staff available with the time to help you. Good luck!
Another Mom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: