Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 12:00 AM

196 posts, read 638,358 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. It seems like Cookeville is what people say is one of the best places to live in TN. I just came across a Money Magazine report that rated Bartlett as the number 1 place to live in TN. Anyone else agree with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 08:00 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,329,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutarian View Post
Hey everyone. It seems like Cookeville is what people say is one of the best places to live in TN. I just came across a Money Magazine report that rated Bartlett as the number 1 place to live in TN. Anyone else agree with that?
I personally believe that there are several #1 areas to live in Tennessee. If I had to live near Memphis I would definitely choose Collierville over Bartlett. I do have lifelong friends in Bartlett and they like it there but they don't love it there. They enjoy coming to east Tennessee for visits. I am not in the thick of things there though so here's to hoping that someone that lives there will chime in.

I am moving this post to Memphis hoping it will get more play there.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:24 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,288,773 times
Bartlett is fine, but I can think of many places in TN that I would rather live. (Of course, none of them would be in West Tennessee at all.)

Old 07-28-2008, 10:44 AM

64 posts, read 88,119 times
Bartlett ??

Yep, I read that too ...........That's laughable

Better places than the Memphis MSA

Old 07-28-2008, 05:53 PM

15,937 posts, read 20,903,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Bartlett is fine, but I can think of many places in TN that I would rather live. (Of course, none of them would be in West Tennessee at all.)
So true!
Not to mention I have to wonder how badly Bartlett will have been affected by Memphis' problems in another five or so years. Many folks are already fleeing further east.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:52 AM

340 posts, read 1,308,323 times
"For this year's list we focused on smaller places that offered the best combination of economic opportunity, good schools, safe streets, things to do and a real sense of community."

The above quote is from Money Magazine in their top 100 rankings of best places to live. Bartlett is a good place to live, and based on the above criteria I can see how it made the list. Is it better than Germantown, Collierville, Franklin, Brentwood, and whatever high dollar suburbs surround Knoxville overall? That is subjective, but I'd say probably not. But when you add in the cost of living component, Bartlett is certainly the most affordable of those I've listed. Olive Branch, MS also made the list, for the same reasons as Bartlett. Safe area, good schools, affordable housing, and access to jobs.

As to whether Bartlett can hold on to these things in the face of the problems in Memphis and the relentless move eastward, only time will tell. But the same is true of the suburbs around any city in the South (ie Antioch and Hermitage (I know, they are part of Nashville, not suburban municipalities, but they would still be considered suburban) in Nashville, Dekalb and Clayton County in Atlanta). Many people are chasing suburban utopia, but as communities age, they lose some of that suburban feel. Of course, in this age of increasing gas prices, being closer in is going to have more value in the future.

For anyone who is interested, the League of Cities has a committee and web site at

National League of Cities Official Website (http://www.nlc.org/inside_nlc/committees___councils/465.aspx - broken link)

that addresses some of the issues facing first tier suburbs (those in the closest proximity to the center city core). For what it's worth, Keith McDonald (mayor of Bartlett) is chair of this committee and is aware of the problems first tier suburbs face as they age and is fully engaged in making sure Bartlett has a chance to avoid this fate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis