Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:44 AM

209 posts, read 811,894 times

Advertisements

I got an 83 (downtown). I agree that it's very walkable, but had to chuckle that the closest grocery is Vance Grocery. When I drive past that I make sure my windows are up and my doors are locked. As far as actual, useful and affordable grocery stores, Schnucks or Kroger is the closest, and they're like 10 or 12 minutes away (driving). Oh well! Otherwise, I would agree with the score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 07:30 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,373,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fittoac View Post
I got an 83 (downtown). I agree that it's very walkable, but had to chuckle that the closest grocery is Vance Grocery. When I drive past that I make sure my windows are up and my doors are locked. As far as actual, useful and affordable grocery stores, Schnucks or Kroger is the closest, and they're like 10 or 12 minutes away (driving). Oh well! Otherwise, I would agree with the score.

lol@ Vance Grocery

lol@ Kroger at Poplar & Cleveland also. Last time I was in there a crackhead was trying to sell me a watch in the frozen foods section

Your best choice would be to cross the bridge and go to either Wal Mart or the Kroger next door

Regards,

3 cents

Old 06-02-2010, 12:55 PM

173 posts, read 323,297 times
double lol @ vance grocery.

my house got a 58..which surprised me, as for walkable i wasnt taking into could i walk to a business...i was thinking for pleasure and i'm a block from that green line thing that was a train track at one time. my office in hikry hull got a 48....and i don't even like to walk across the parking lot here. i walk for excerise all over where i live...as i said, i try not to even have to walk to the car at work..

i hate the kroger at pop and cleve...everytime i ever went there, i was always scared. always.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 AM

209 posts, read 811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
lol@ Kroger at Poplar & Cleveland also. Last time I was in there a crackhead was trying to sell me a watch in the frozen foods section
HAHA! Hilarious. One time I was panhandled in the aisle of that Kroger. A woman asked me to buy her 4 cans of Vienna sausages. It's most definitely not my first choice, though I've gone there in emergency situations and most of the time it's ok. Schnucks is much less sketchy, though it's very cramped.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:41 PM

455 posts, read 1,558,757 times
I quit walking for exercise on the streets in East Memphis. It's too hot for that with 90+ temps now, and I get tired of having to cross the street to get out of the way of people with big dogs, and I am tired of having to search way on ahead for signs of large dogs running loose that sometimes are aggressive. I also have heard of muggings, almost saw one happen, and almost had one happen to me. It's just not worth it anymore IMO. You also can tire of knowing the neighbors must comment on how they see you back and forth constantly on the street every day. They see you at the same times daily and must be thinking, "we could set our clocks by him"..

I do my walking at an indoor track or at the mall or sometimes in the back yard.

Oh, about the pan-handling - the last time I was at a Summer Ave store this vagrant says "I could use some spare dollars, do you have any" and the answer? "Yo, I could use some of that myself".

Old 06-03-2010, 02:10 PM

203 posts, read 561,600 times
Midtown and got a 57.

There are issues with the score but it is reasonable. The last place i lived was an 88 and you could have lived without a car.

Midtown (especially) Union probably get too high a score as walking on Union is sucky

Old 06-04-2010, 08:52 PM

8 posts, read 19,405 times
Home: 92, Work: 91. I walk/bike/trolley from work to home. After living 10 car-dependent years, I couldn't imagine going back. I still have a car, but it's relegated to being used once or twice a week. Gas costs me about $40 per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis