U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-14-2008, 09:02 PM

94 posts, read 248,498 times
Default Mason and Oakland.....your thoughts?

We're coming down this weekend......and we're going to look in Oakland and Mason (cheap brand new homes in Mason). Do you have any thoughts on the area and the schools? Some of you may remember that I have a son with high functioning autism, and a daughter with a learning disability. My son may or may not be ok with the public schools in Fayette or Tipton county schools. We have some private options, but we're trying not to go that route if possible (not sure with how good they'll be for the price) and I may home school him for a while. But for the most part, what do you think of those areas??? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 09:18 PM

3,381 posts, read 8,832,051 times
I've never even heard of Mason I take it that it's a tiny little town...near Oakland? Oakland is about as rural as you can get around here. I can't imagine they have any crime there, but you won't find anything else (to do) there either. In terms of the schools....I'm sure they are safe, but usually smaller, rural school systems do not have stellar special ed services, due to not having as much need for them.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:34 PM

5,227 posts, read 6,436,595 times
Oakland is a growing area, seems to be mostly people moving further out east from Memphis. It's also a known speed trap, although I understand it's not a problem if you live there.
Oakland has easy access to the Wolfchase area for shopping and entertainment, so I guess that's a plus. Oakland also has their own Kroger and Mc Donalds, and what else do you really have to have in a small town?

Never heard of Mason either, sorry.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:59 AM

196 posts, read 413,972 times
Oakland has grown a whole lot.
Lots of subdivisions.
Some really nice, some not so nice.

Mason is out Highway 70 (Summer Ave.).
It is not far over the county line.
And it is the home of two interesting and well known restaurants, Bozo's and the original Gus' Chicken.
(A bit of trivia, Bozo's was used in that movie about Johnny Cash, Walk the Line)
There is also a big prison in Mason and Longtown Gin.
And John Wilder lives in Mason.

I don't know anything about the schools in Mason, but if I was interested in a house there I would make an appointment to tour the school and talk to the folks there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis