Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2008, 01:27 AM

8 posts, read 39,287 times

Advertisements

I've been co-habitating for 15 years and I'm looking to leave that relationship. I went from living with my parents to living with my boyfriend and have never really been on my own before. I feel completely unprepared for this change in my life and it scares the hell out of me.

I moved to the Memphis area from Colorado about 4 years ago. Rented a house in Horn Lake for two years and bought a house in Southaven 2 years ago (in my boyfriend's name only). I work in the Midtown area. I've been looking at apartments in the Midtown area on-line for a while now but I have some questions/concerns.

I estimate that I can only afford about $500/month for rent not including utilities. Can anyone give me an idea of how much utilites run in Memphis? I'm paying about $200-250 for gas, electric, and water for a 1700 sq ft house in Southaven. I hear utilities are higher in Memphis but an apartment would probably be only a third the size of the house I'm in.

I've heard it's best to stay north of the Cooper/Young intersection but is south really that bad? I saw a rental on Felix (about two blocks south and several blocks west) that didn't look TOO bad, but then again I always thought Whitehaven didn't look too bad during the daytime either. Not sure I trust my own judgement anymore.

I've read some bad comments about Revid on the internet but they seem to be the largest property management company in midtown. Has anyone here had any experience with them?

Any other advice would be appreciated as well. I have no idea when this change will take place but I'm planning on having a talk with my boyfriend this weekend.

Also, I should add that The Gilmore is really out of my price range. I've seen it suggested here before. I need at least a 1 bedroom apartment, not an efficiency apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 09:05 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
$500 might be a little low if you want a bigger apartment in a super safe area. Yes, it is best north of Cooper Young, although within a few blocks isn't too bad. Keep in mind, just 3 blocks south is an extremely active and loud train track. I wouldn't want to live south for that reason, and the crime.

Utilities for a small apartment would be very low, maybe $80 in the summer, next to nothing in the winter.

Good luck. Once you get some more specifics about potential places, be sure to post.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:39 PM

11 posts, read 28,592 times
A couple blocks south of Cooper and Young is ok. Felix is a nice street. I wouldn't go past Walker. $500 is tough for a 1 bedroom in the nicer parts of Midtown. If you could afford $600 per month, you would open up many more opportunities. Utilities are going to vary depending on the place. Some places you pay all yourself, some places pro-rate by square footage, some places the landlord covers some (built into rent, of course). I don't agree with next to nothing for the winter. Gas can get pricey in Memphis. Especially now. You could have bills up to $150 in winter. But again, it all depends on the situation.

Also, look at the neighborhoods to the west and east of Cooper, north of Central, south of Union. There are some really great rentals throughout the neighborhood, but you have to look carefully. Spend some time driving the streets looking for signs. That is how I found every apartment or house I have had in Memphis.

I've been disappointed with places I've seen that were listed by Revid. They don't seem to be the best of companies, but the President of the Cooper Young Community Association is a realtor with Revid, so maybe you could contact her for some advice.

Other places to look -- some apartments along Poplar around Cooper. Not the ones on Cooper just south of Poplar, though. Along Peabody. But some of these are expensive. The Rosecrest off Union. The Kimbrough off Poplar @ Stonewall.

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:08 PM

I just wanted to thank you for responding.

I figured my budget based on my current income and $500 is about all I can afford. I can go up a little bit but it comes out of the grocery budget if I do. I also realize that the less I spend the more I can save to move elsewhere later on (which I'd like to do).

The only reason I was even considering Revid was simply because they took over Midtown Property Managment (I think that was the name) which had some places I actually liked.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:22 PM

113 posts, read 563,334 times
I'm not sure if this is an option for you, since you mentioned that you've never lived alone before, but have you considered a roommate situation, at least for awhile until you can save up and possibly afford more? I live with my boyfriend now, but I did live alone for several years and I can attest to two things:

1. It is wonderful.
2. It is very expensive.

If you moved into a Midtown home with a roommate, most of the time they're already furnished (at least partially) and you can split the bills, enabling you to live in a nicer part of town more cheaply. Granted, there are some real weirdos out there, but surely not EVERYONE who posts an ad is a loon. memphis, TN rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist is the link to the "Roommates Wanted" section of craigslist.

I know it wouldn't be ideal, but if you did it for six months or so, it might help out -- and you could potentially make some new friends, something I'm sure you might want after 15 years in a relationship. A friend of mine found her roommate this way, and she loves it -- her roommate is hardly ever home (and when she is, they get along great), so my friend is essentially living alone but for half price.

Just my two cents.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:04 PM

I did think of the roomate thing but decided against mainly since I have a lot of stuff (packrat/hoader) and most roomate ads I've seen basically allowed you a room in an already furnished home/apartment. It'd be a great idea otherwise.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:55 AM

234 posts, read 1,062,906 times
If you are looking for a good roommate, post an ad on the UT Medical School website. Medical students and residents are the BEST roommates ever. They're smart, have money to spend (usually financial aid) and the best part of all, they're very busy and never around!!!!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:37 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,179 times
I highly recommend Midtown property management. They are sure to have something within your budget. good luck

Edit. midtown property management was bought out by Revid Realty. So I can't post the real estate link. Just google Revid realty and click on the "looking to rent" icon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: