U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 AM

14 posts, read 55,634 times

Advertisements

Hi

hoping to move to memphis very soon and have the chance to buy a property near the 51 between frayser and overton.

can anyone tell me what the are is like please, i will move there with my partner, no children at home so the schools dont matter any more.

thanks for any advice
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 10:28 AM

5,331 posts, read 6,787,329 times
In general, Frayser is not considered a desirable area. Too much crime, too many poverty stricken neighborhoods.
That being said there are areas within Frayser that are better than other areas of Frayser. I haven't lived in Frayser in ages, so I can't say any more which are the better neighborhoods.
Can you give a little bit better idea of where the property is, street name and nearby crossroad maybe? Maybe somebody here will be familiar with the area and be able to give you a more accurate idea of what the particular neighborhood is like.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:36 AM

1,703 posts, read 4,200,698 times
Overton is the out-of-use name for north Frayser, near the Georgian Hills neighborhood. Georgian Hills is a beautiful neighborhood -- one of the prettiest in Memphis, imo. The rolling hills and big oak trees that are prominent there are unequaled by anything else in Shelby County, imo.

Unfortunately, crime is prevalent in that area and most other neighborhoods in Frayser. I would not move there.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:25 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,674,666 times
Frayser is one of the worst crime areas in Memphis. That area has been economically depressed ever since Firestone and International Harvester closed in the early 1980s. Now, much of the area is riddled with abandoned homes and apartments. It's certainly not an area I'd want to live in.

Too bad because, like Strumpeace says, it has the prettiest terrain in the Memphis area. It was a great middle class neighborhood in it's day, but I don't see it coming back in my lifetime. In Memphis, as areas go into decline, they are just left to rot while the population moves further eastward.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:15 PM

14 posts, read 55,634 times
the house is on st elmo avenue near north watkins st

does that help

not by the sounds of it if it makes much difference

Old 08-25-2008, 03:47 PM

I'd look elsewhere....

Old 08-25-2008, 09:15 PM

Street Search - crime.commercialappeal.com (http://memphiscrimetracker.com/street/#G - broken link)
This is a fun little tool to play with and might give you a little better idea what you would be getting into there.
I looked at St. Elmo and got 207 hits. For comparison I typed in my street name and got 7 hits in the same time frame, and I live in Berclair, an area that while it's not considered bad, is not really good either. FWIW

Old 08-25-2008, 10:36 PM

Of course, you also have to consider the length of the street when looking at the number of "hits". Park Avenue has 2868 hits, but it's a long street and part of it runs through a higher crime area. My street isn't even listed

Old 08-25-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Of course, you also have to consider the length of the street when looking at the number of "hits". Park Avenue has 2868 hits, but it's a long street and part of it runs through a higher crime area.
Yeah, but you can break it down by zip code, and it pulls up the block number and what type of crime was committed. I just think that's cool. I'm a bit of a nerd though. I like playing around with things like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
My street isn't even listed
Just curious, is this inside or outside city limits? Either way, I'm happy for you and maybe just a little bit jealous, LOL.

To the OP, if you are interested in other areas of Memphis, just holler. Lots of places to choose from besides Frayser. I'm sure somebody here could point you to some good alternatives.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:47 AM

I'm inside the city limits, but it's just a very short street in Cordova - about 20 houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis