Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:09 PM

6 posts, read 55,415 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move from e. memphis (just NW of perkins & i240) I am looking for an affordable rental home and theres seems to be many in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 09:14 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,973,768 times
There's a reason there are a lot of cheap rentals in the area...it's not exactly the most desirable area in town. If you must live there, I'd suggest that the further east you can go and the further south toward Summer Avenue you go, you'll probably be better off. The worst areas seem to be toward the north and west (toward Jackson and National).

Old 09-01-2008, 09:24 PM

From what i've heard its not an extremely high crime neighborhood. is that false?

Old 09-02-2008, 01:09 AM

15,930 posts, read 20,899,784 times
I live in Berclair, near Gaisman park, and certainly there are worse areas of Memphis. Its not an extremely high crime neighborhood, but there is crime. (It's not all property crime either.) I think it's all in what you are comfortable with.

You will see a few homeless people, and maybe even the occasional 'working girl' on Summer Ave, and sometimes on Macon Rd. too. I'm very cautious and aware of my surroundings after dark. If I need to go to the gas station or the grocery store then, I tend to look over my shoulder a lot. OTOH I don't feel uncomfortable walking around my immediate neighborhood during the day. However I don't go to Gaisman park alone, ever.

Berclair is very hit and miss. The areas that still have a lot of the older, original residents left are going to be better than the ares where most of those residents have moved or passed away, with the majority of houses being turned into rentals. Again, it's just a matter of where, exactly, you live. Five or six blocks can make a difference.

If you are seriously thinking about moving into the area, please take the time to thoroughly check out the immediate neighborhood first. Hang around and watch as the kids come home from school and the parents come home from work. Take a walk around the neighborhood and talk to people that are out doing yard work or whatever. It would be time well spent.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:30 AM

i found a few properties nearby the memphis national cemetery

Old 09-02-2008, 01:30 PM

340 posts, read 1,308,232 times
Either of these areas wouldn't be great, but Berclair is better than Nutbush and has some decent areas. If you drive around the area, it's pretty easy to tell which are decent and which aren't. Look for mowed lawns and less gang graffitti (mainly Hispanic gangs in the area), and that would likely be the better place. Many areas of Nutbush seem to have completely given up trying to paint over or remove the graffitti.

I'm not sure what it means, but lately there has been a marked change in the tagging in Nutbush. It used to be mostly KAL (a local Hispanic gang...Killer A** Latinos, I think), but lately has been mostly SUR-13 (which I think is a gang that started in Southern California). It could be that the KAL's have just merged with the Sureno's (SUR-13), but it could also be a turf battle (some of the KAL stuff is crossed out and painted over with SUR-13 stuff). Probably not a great idea to move into the area if it is the latter, because violence and gang turf battles go hand in hand.

The good news is, the area was about to dry up and become another Memphis wasteland. The Hispanic residents have moved in, opened stores and restaurants, and by and large just want to live their lives and make some money working. Somehow, they manage to develop a somewhat vibrant community when so many of the folks who are from the area either sit passively by while businesses are run out of the community or actively participate in running them out by various acts of criminal mischief.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:48 AM

235 posts, read 1,351,738 times
Well, my brother rents houses at National and Kendrick (right next to the cemetery just on the other side of Jackson)..... Not a good place at all.

I am still kinda scared of Berclair at night.... used to drive to skate on Summer from Fox Meadows.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:51 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,288,320 times
There are still a few decent blocks between Macon and Summer (north and south) and Stratford and Graham (east and west). However, the overall trend in the area is decline. Even where you may find a good house or block, just be aware that the tide is against you and that there's no way the area will improve--or stay even--in the foreseeable future. Same goes for the Highland Heights area to the west.

Best wishes.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:51 PM

196 posts, read 689,635 times
We used to own a house on Sandra which runs parallel to and backs up to that nice part of Graham and is basically still a good area.

The houses right in that "Huddleston & McClaren" area were built really nice. Paneled doors, the real glass door knobs, hardwood floors, plaster walls, solid brass hardware on the entry doors and really nice woodwork and moldings.

And that stretch of Graham is glorious in the spring with an incredible number of dogwoods and azaleas.

I would feel safe living there.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 14,577 times
Nutbush isn't great, but Berclair is ok. Try to stay closer to the south side of highland if you can; However I had a friend that lived on Coleman off N.Highland and it wasn't that bad. And for the record, I would rather live anywhere than fox meadows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: