Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 05:48 PM

3 posts, read 5,964 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Moving to Memphis from Seattle, WA. Single black female, 28 years old looking for a welcoming, safe place to stay? I am looking for diversity. What would be the best areas of Memphis or the surrounding areas to stay?

Last edited by Kevai; 10-14-2014 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 06:05 PM

7,497 posts, read 17,100,431 times
Most of the suburbs are working and middle-class folks who are definitely not racist. Bartlett, Collierville, East Memphis, North Mississippi, you'd be fine in all those. Germantown you'd be fine in too. Germantown and Collierville probably have an element of old-money families, but it's a very small segment of the population. Also, you'd be fine downtown or Midtown in the urban core area. Honestly, there isn't much racism in the day-to-day Memphis, you'd be just as safe and welcomed as any other racial/ethnic group.

There is a historic, structural lack of opportunity for POOR folks in the area, the vast majority of whom are black.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:29 AM

737 posts, read 1,906,454 times
Agree with above. Memphis city is majority black, minority white. The suburbs, like most metro areas, are the opposite but still diverse. The suburbs are safe. Downtown is safe and also 'younger' than the suburbs if you want nightlife, but it lacks a lot of other things - shopping, a grocery store, etc.

What is your lifestyle in Seattle like? Did you live in the burbs there and would be okay with that here? Or did you live in the city center area and are used to more hustle and bustle? (ie, would you prefer a downtown type setting here?)

Old 10-15-2014, 02:17 PM

173 posts, read 441,394 times
Additionally, Midtown is nice and diverse, as is downtown (Harbortown, South Main, etc). As CristenS posted, some background may help Memphis posters point you in more specific directions.

For example, in the burbs and East Memphis you will be almost car exclusive for transportation. Midtown can be a mix depending on which neighborhood. Downtown is pedestrian friendly except for probably Harbortown.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:49 PM

7,497 posts, read 17,100,431 times
Quote:
Memphis city is majority black, minority white. The suburbs, like most metro areas, are the opposite but still diverse.
Definitely, but it's interesting to note that Memphis is one of the only (or perhaps *the* only) minority majority metropolitan area in the US. That is, us white folks are a minority metro-wide. Of course, geographic distribution isn't equal, as you mentioned, any many (or perhaps all) of the suburban towns are majority white.

Diversity is an interesting beast in Memphis. During my time there, I noticed that Mud Island was diverse, as was the general north Cordova/Bartlett area, and the area around FedEx on Winchester. Downtown and Midtown aren't particularly diverse in general, mostly black folks and white folks - although the Crosstown area of Midtown is a notable exception.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:34 PM

680 posts, read 1,027,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Most of the suburbs are working and middle-class folks who are definitely not racist. Bartlett, Collierville, East Memphis, North Mississippi, you'd be fine in all those. Germantown you'd be fine in too. Germantown and Collierville probably have an element of old-money families, but it's a very small segment of the population. Also, you'd be fine downtown or Midtown in the urban core area. Honestly, there isn't much racism in the day-to-day Memphis, you'd be just as safe and welcomed as any other racial/ethnic group.
Very well put.

I would add that the older, wealthier areas are fairly "closed" socially to all outsiders really, but there's plenty of people here that don't fit into those boxes. It's a laid back town that will not in any way remind an outsider of Seattle, which can be both good and bad.

I'd go to either mid town, east Memphis (Poplar corridor around I-240), Germantown, or Collierville- but that's because I think Poplar is kind of the Main Street in this area. Those are the more educated parts of the metro, and closest to the major employers and shopping. Bartlett, Arlington, Olive Branch are all solid choices as well if that is where you'll be employed.

Downtown is also attracting a lot of young people these days, but it falls short on shopping and grocery options. Better night life than the suburbs though.....but if you are working at FedEx or IP, you may want to stick with the Poplar or Walnut area in East Memphis, Collierville, or Germantown just to keep your commute short.

There are other good options but these are the ones I have the most experience with.

Last edited by tigerphan; 10-17-2014 at 01:44 PM..

Old 10-20-2014, 01:42 PM

171 posts, read 353,635 times
OP, I moved from Seattle to Memphis, too! Most people seem really confused by this decision. As in, I say I moved from Seattle and they say "Why???" Ha ha! Feel free to send me a PM with specific questions

In my opinion, where you should live depends on where you work. Things are a lot more spread out in Memphis compared to Seattle - it's just not as densely populated. Commuting time is definitely a factor to consider.

That being said, Midtown, Cooper-Young, and Overton Square would all be good neighborhoods for a 28 year old single female. They are diverse by Memphis standards, I think. This city is really segregated in a way that is hard to understand if you have grown up in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis