U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-07-2006, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,116 times
Can anyone tell me the zip codes for the good sections of east memphis and midtown or harbortown....
we are 30's, married, no kids, professionals looking for a cool established neighborhood. We are from Birmingham, Al and live in a older neighborhood closer to downtown. We would like to find that kind of neighborhood in Memphis. Something that is safe, but with character. We don't want a loft because we have dogs. We have heard their are some more upscale yet older neighborhoods in Memphis - can someone tell me the zips and names for these. I have heard anything east of Highland is great...what is the zip for that?

Old 08-15-2006, 09:15 AM

14 posts, read 94,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTiger
No kidding. There is nothing but city of Memphis hate here.

If you love cookie cutter suburban sprawl, bumper to bumper traffic, long commutes and a very boring lifestyle, then DeSoto County, Fayette County and Tipton County are the places for you. Plus, in Horn Lake, Southaven and Olive Branch you pay out the rear for a car tag, you have a state income tax and you have constant cross border criminal activity coming from Whitehaven (Whitehaven is the area of Memphis that borders the Mississippi state line). These people who hate the city so much probably never venture inside the city because they are scared to death. Downtown Memphis, Midtown Memphis and East Memphis are great places and some neighborhoods in those parts of town are far and away better than anything you will find in Germantown and Collierville and certainly better that anything you will find in the cookie cutter sprawled areas of DeSoto County.

It is true that crime is higher in the city of Memphis than the wealther suburbs around the city, but that is generally true of any metropolitan area in the United States. Most criminal activity in Memphis is focused in the poorer, blacker areas of the city. Downtown and East Memphis have crime rates similar to those of the Memphis suburbs. It is also true the schools suck in the city, unless you can get into White Station, Grahamwood, Richland and a few other neighborhood schools. Most upper middle class and wealthy residents of the city send their kids to private schools. The city has excellent private schools, whether Catholic or other.

Before you get scared off from the city by some of these people spreading their disinformation, do some research and actually talk to people who live inside the city, not those who live 45 miles from Downtown in a cookie cutter cul-de-sac.

you could not be anymore wrong. I currently live in mid-town and have for the past 6 years. Sure there is some sprawl outside Memphis, there would not be if there was not an exodus from Memphis. Dontya think? As for the very boring lifestyle, how do you know? Have you lived outside Memphis or maybe you are just do not lead a very creative lifestyle and are stuck in a Memphis creative rut. The scene in Memphis is very tired and boring. The crime in Memphis is INSANE exclamation point. In mid-town you will weave in and out of the good/bad areas very easily. You say most crime is focused in the poorer, blacker areas of the city. Last I checked the city is in a ton of debt and is predominantly black. Also, it remains to be seen, but I predict there is gonna be a serious problem with the occupancy rate with all those pricey condos being built downtown. For a better/safer quality of life, look outside Memphis. It's not all cookie cutter.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tate
Can anyone tell me the zip codes for the good sections of east memphis and midtown or harbortown....
we are 30's, married, no kids, professionals looking for a cool established neighborhood. We are from Birmingham, Al and live in a older neighborhood closer to downtown. We would like to find that kind of neighborhood in Memphis. Something that is safe, but with character. We don't want a loft because we have dogs. We have heard their are some more upscale yet older neighborhoods in Memphis - can someone tell me the zips and names for these. I have heard anything east of Highland is great...what is the zip for that?
east of highland would be 38117 and 38119. You MAY like the High Point area. Although i think it's hitting it's peak. A lot of 30somethings are living there and taking care of the older houses. You are not going to find something "safe" in Memphis. The crime is horrendous and the good neighborhoods are next to the bad ones especially in mid-town. East memphis may be the exception, yet the older neighborhoods are in Mid-town(38104) and it's the more bohemian, trendy part of the city. I live there now. I am 36 and its riddled with break ins and derelicts. The cops are ineffective. There are also some really cool people and nice houses in mid-town. Cooper/Young(midtown district) while over rated is a revitalized area.
Most of the homes in the mid-town are were built in the early 1900's and are quite nice. Moderator cut: advertising good luck

Old 08-15-2006, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriecke
Okay, where would you reccommend then? I have two small children, one going into 1st grade. We can't afford private school. I'd been looking at Olive Branch but it sounds like it is getting too big. We need to be within 1/2 hour of germantown.

I hear all of the things about where not to live, or where to live and send your kids to private schools, how about some, where to live answers with good public schools within 1/2 hour of Germantown!! The trick is I can't spend more than 175,000 on a house. So Germantown and colliersville are pretty much out!

I would love the homey town, with side walks etc...... it's what I've grown up with.

Basically I am so confused and I'm moving in about a month and I've no idea where to go. We'd decided on Olive Branch, now I'm not so sure. HELP!!

Jamie
check out byhalia,ms. its about 20 minutes from germantown and in marshall county. It's not growing nearly as fast as olive branch, yet is growing. A lot of new houses with LAND!!!!

Old 08-15-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal
If it weren't for the St. Jude opportunity, I'd warn you off of Memphis but St. Jude is a wonderful group of people doing wonderful things. The crime here is atrocious; local government is terribly corrupt and the racial tensions are growing.
i agree with all comments. St Jude is one of the best things about memphis. My brother and law is a nurse there and we are lucky to have it. Crime and govt are two of the worst. As a previous poster commented you may wish to look into the munford/brighton/atoka area of tipton county. I am moving there next month and am looking forward to it. Low taxes, about a 30 minute commute, lots of land and a growing commercial area. Not nearly as fast as fayette county either. Munford and Atoka are neighboring communities with appx 8000 residents in each.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:33 PM

113 posts, read 372,772 times
Thanks.......Anyone needing info, just let me know. I have lots of links to many county and city info. I am happy to help. I am pretty honest, and wouldn't steer anyone away from what they are looking for.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:23 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,763,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTTNSCTN
MEMPHIS Moderator cut: is not good MrsMichelle seems to have a good grip on surrounding areas.
I heard the same. Nashville any better?

Last edited by Yac; 08-16-2006 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: impolite

Old 09-08-2006, 09:47 PM

9 posts, read 38,753 times
I keep reading about this murders and Memphis being the most dangerous city. That data is collected per captia, while Memphis may be dangerous compared to other cities its size. It is nothing compared to D.C.'s 300 murders in one month. Now think about that one.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 7,104 times
Default Hernando 38632

IJust happened upon this discussion. I have to agree with most of the previous posts. We moved to this area from Florida a number of years ago. We went through the same search. We discovered Hernando and never looked back. We absolutely love it here. It is a small jewel of a town, with settled old neighborhoods and new homes too. Our schools are wonderful, all three of my girls have attended public school here and have gone on to be very successful in college and careers. We do have crime, but it is mostly the petty sort. It is the sort of community that people get to know you and know your name and your kids. One important aspect for our family was a good library. Until two years ago, we had a stellar library system. Unfortunately, it has a new director who is ruining it so I can no longer call it stellar. It is approximately 30 minutes to downtown Memphis and the commute to St. Jude would be a snap (straight up I55). I do have to disagree with the comments about how boring life is here. We have access to everything in the big city plus lots of events and activities right here in Desoto County. People who don't live here have the wrong idea about the lifestyles here! For a long time we all kept it a close held secret!

Hope this helps!

Old 09-30-2006, 10:42 AM

50 posts, read 8,324 times
Thumbs down Hernando??? progresive secret??

Wait a minute,,,certainly everyone has a right to voice their opinions based on their own set of experiences for sure but let's get one thing straight

Hernando MISSISSIPPI in Desoto County is a wide spot in the road and a bedroom community for Memphis, TN. It's populated by folks who are 'running away' from Memphis, Tn (many are motivated by race reasons, not 'crime' *****....'crime' is used as a cleverly cloaked 'code word' by some (not all).

The 'exodus' to The Great State of Mississippi is NOT because MISSISSIPPI is such a progressive and fine state....lol....lol...this is bogus on its face to suggest that. The history of Mississippi is quite bad in comparison to many other fine southern States. Poverty and ignorance is still a staple in the society of the State of Mississippi. Many still have a 'plantation' mentality (yeah that's good for children, right?, in 2007 ! )...

The great State of Mississippi is NOT GREAT at all...the facts and figures don't bear that assessment as reality.

The Magnolia State has to 'jump up to touch the bottom' in many many areas of social, academic, and economic considerations.....even when compared to states such as Alabama and Georgia. Tennessee is head and shoulders about the State of Mississippi.

Even Alabamians I know say "Thank god for Mississippi" (because if there were no MS, Alabama would surely be at the BOTTOM)

I can't think of many truly redeemable qualities of moving to the area, and then exacerbating the problem with establishing a MISSISSIPPI mailing address.........AND PAY A MS INCOME TAX....

Mississippi, in toto, taken as a whole, is quite awful.....sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis