U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 12,321 times
Default What is Memphis like? Be honest.

I am from Buffalo, NY and I am looking for a fresh start in life. I have heard that crime is really really bad there. Is it true or an over blown. I have seen some crime reports from the police which makes me nervous. Humm I am looking for a safe place, decent rent, and I want it to be warmer/hotter than Buffalo.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:36 PM

3,381 posts, read 8,748,764 times
Yes, it is bad. # 1 in the country, at least Top 5 in most areaa. But crime is not everywhere. I do not have gang members living in my back yard, nor do I hear gunfire at night. You can get a safe apartment further out in the burbs for maybe $600 for a 1-bedroom. If you are looking for total safety, Memphis is not for you. However, you could easily live and work in a outlying suburb and stay isolated and probably be completely crime free.

This thread below may answer some questions. Crime seems to be exaggerated on this forum, however it's always in the eye of the beholder. What you may consider "safe" may not be what others feel.

Anyone Pleasantly Suprised??

Old 11-24-2008, 10:24 PM
kbg

224 posts, read 55,231 times
I live 80mi. east of Memphis, which I have visited many times, have friends that lived there and never had a problem. Memphis was last ranked #2 in violent crime per capita in last annual report following close behind Detroit, Michigan. I would lean more toward the southwest side of Nashville IMO it is the Vanderbilt hip "safe" side of their Metro-area just stay away from the northside all the way from the Cumberland out past Trinity and everywhere in between.

Good luck!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:36 AM

754 posts, read 1,732,431 times
Live in Memphis' suburbs (such as Arlington, Lakeland, Germantown, and Collierville) or a neighboring county (Tipton County or Fayette County), or even across the border in northern MS like Olive Branch or Southaven. You'll be fine in those areas.

My parents live in Tipton County, and have done so for the last 22 years. No problems. It takes my dad about 40 minutes and my mom about 30 minutes to get to work in Memphis.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:29 AM

235 posts, read 659,267 times
Memphis is a relatively nice city......it is slummy in some places like parts of Hickory Hill, some of mid-town, all of Raleigh, Frayser, Airways, some of Park-Perkins area, and American Way areas.

I don't know anything much about Buffalo (except that it is fairly large and is in NY--I guess I am a bit uniformed) but Memphis is only really for certain people. Not to be arrogant. Meaning that only a nich`e of people really enjoy Memphis. For all I know, you may be in the nich`e. I unfortunately don't live in Memphis any more

Memphis, does have a lot of crime but only in certain areas. I lived in Houston, Texas breifly and they had less murders, and crime (7 Million People City) than Memphis. If you are really looking for a house, you are going to have to pay a bit in Memphis. However, coming from New York, you might consider the houses a WHOLE lot cheaper. If you want, I could tell you some do's and don'ts of Memphis.

Please Reply:

Old 11-25-2008, 09:49 AM

1,703 posts, read 4,051,441 times
'All of Raleigh' is not 'slummy'. What an insult to the many hardworking Memphians who call that area home.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:08 AM

3,381 posts, read 8,748,764 times
This person already admitted in his own thread that he hasn't lived here in a while and isn't familiar with the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
'All of Raleigh' is not 'slummy'. What an insult to the many hardworking Memphians who call that area home.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:57 PM

235 posts, read 659,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
This person already admitted in his own thread that he hasn't lived here in a while and isn't familiar with the area.
I know all of the areas and MOST street names.... I have lived in Memphis for most of my life. So, don't punish me.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:10 AM

3,538 posts, read 4,549,973 times
Most of Raleigh is not slummy. Do even know what a slum is? I go through Raleigh every day and I see a mostly black, middle class community. Some areas are really nice, other areas (closer to Frayser) are a bit shady, but for the most part, Raleigh is decent.

But anyways, back to the original question. Memphis is a great city. It has so much soul. I cannot even explain it in words. You just have to come and experience it. Sure, there is crime, but you have to take the good with the bad. The crime only affects certain areas that I rarely have to venture into. Even within the city limits, there are big historic houses with big yards. You should explore East Memphis and Midtown. You'll be surprised that you're still in Memphis.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:09 PM

60 posts, read 123,695 times
Ummm...all of Raleigh is not "slummy" and there are NOT 7 million people in Houston (More like 4 million).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis