Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:29 AM

738 posts, read 2,576,191 times

Advertisements

I agree! The homes by Tara Oaks school in Collierville have the best lights, and they're not the fanciest homes around, but they sure take pride n what they have, it looks really nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 10:58 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizasya View Post
Shelby Farms is doing their light show again this year....they are calling it Starry Nights or something. Haven't been yet myself...

www.starrynightsmemphis.com

Old 12-08-2009, 12:10 PM

145 posts, read 412,335 times
last year - i think - there was a house in - i want to say germantown - (my memory is terrible, im sorry) that had lots of lights up and within a 20ft radius of their house there was a radio station you tuned to in your car and the lights all moved in time to that music on the radio they had set up. did anyone else see it? it was crazy impressive.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:39 PM

55 posts, read 179,431 times
Though it isn't actually in Memphis, I was visiting a friend in West Memphis this weekend and I was really impressed with the displays there.

Thanks to everyone else for the tips on where to go! I can't wait to go out looking at lights in Memphis this weekend.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:55 AM

9 posts, read 21,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielou View Post
last year - i think - there was a house in - i want to say germantown - (my memory is terrible, im sorry) that had lots of lights up and within a 20ft radius of their house there was a radio station you tuned to in your car and the lights all moved in time to that music on the radio they had set up. did anyone else see it? it was crazy impressive.
Where can you find the best light? On Youtube!! Check this out from the comfort of your home!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLmA...eature=related

Old 12-11-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantowndad View Post
Where can you find the best light? On Youtube!! Check this out from the comfort of your home!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLmA...eature=related
Wow, thats very cool ^

www.botanicgardenmemphis.com

^ BGM is having some kinda arificial snow deal for the kiddies. Click on the link > "Snowy nights in my big backyard"

Old 12-12-2009, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,101 times
I'll post what I know...of course, I haven't been <yet> this year so its possible some folks have moved, not lit, etc. If you're unfamiliar with parts of the city I would suggest using mapquest or something like that to help you get better directions (mine will be basic).

Durbin Avenue - Just behind the auto inspection station at White Station/Summer area. Several homes, static and some to music (FM broadcast). Worth the look, expect lite traffic.

Graham/Summer - Actually on Graham, just north of Tutwiller. I do not know if this person is still there, last year ('08) they had technical difficulties, prior years were excellent. One home only (east side of street). Display done to music (FM broadcast), several songs, very lite traffic.

Cordova - Riveredge. Walnut Grove east past Sanga to Bazemore (right turn) (just prior to road narrowing). Take Bazemore south to Riveredge (L). Follow loop and check in side streets and coves. Larger homes, static displays, no traffic.

Best for last....

Bartlett area. Stage/Altruria. Take Altruria north to Memphis/Arlington (R turn), cross St. Elmo and your still on Altruria (a merge with memphis/arlington). Lots of house with light, tons to look at, drive all around. Expect lots of traffic, nothing too bad though. One house is a top attraction and will help you via mapquest too!

6451 Daybreak, Bartlett, Tn

Thats a good start and there a few more....no more time to type in this msg though! Please post if you find others worth the drive!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:56 PM

Theres a house on White Station @ Sanderlin (across from raquet club)

This house is all lit up

Old 12-15-2009, 01:04 PM

173 posts, read 443,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
The last year for Starry Nights at Shelby Farms was 1999. The Commercial Appeal has its lights contest winners published in the online version.

The neighborhood just East of Bartlett Boulevard off of Elmore Park has really nice displays every year.
Then why is Starry Nights going on this year? Starry Nights at Shelby Farms Park | Memphis, TN.

This is the first year it's back, and they're using LED's this year (environmentally friendlier than before).

Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 AM

173 posts, read 323,465 times
Starry nights is back at Shelby Farms. I'm going tonight, I will let ya'll know if it is worth the admission.
There is a neighborhood just north of Summer, near White Station and the expressway. If you go north on W.Station from Summer and start looking toward the west(left), you will be able to see the house(s) I'm talking about. The entrance to the street is just a bit before the entrance to the expressway. These people take the xxxmas lights seriously. very seriously. They even have the deal where you can tune your radio to an FM station and the lights are sync'd with the music from the station!!!! There is an older man usually standing out in front of one of them handing out candy to the young ones. It is what I'd consider a working class neighborhood, but damn do they do it up special for the holiday. After Starry Nights we may try to find a few residental displays, if we find anything impressive I will also let ya'll know.
I don't get it...I don't care much for xxxmas, but I love love love the lights. I just wish the lights were a year round thing. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis