Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:04 AM

13 posts, read 30,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Whatever that main highway is that comes up from Millington.
51 I am guessing. You know, I have a problem with the way you are talking about my hometown. We are human beings just like you. Sure, some of us are very, very country, but who cares? It is more than a "poor country town with a lot of rednecks", it's home to me and almost 10,000 other people. So stop talking about us like that. Once again, I am a doctor and my husband is a surgeon. Do you really think we are rednecks? If so, you need a reality check. There is a difference between country and redneck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 12:12 PM

506 posts, read 1,011,576 times
There's a big difference between saying that there are a lot of rednecks in Tipton and that everyone is a redneck. Calm down. I wasn't addressing you or your family directly. My point was simply that it's not Germantown or Collierville.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:36 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
Quote:
There's a big difference between saying that there are a lot of rednecks in Tipton and that everyone is a redneck. Calm down. I wasn't addressing you or your family directly. My point was simply that it's not Germantown or Collierville.
No, your remark was characteristically tasteless and cruel. If your point was that Tipton County is not Germantown or Collierville, you could have made that point by simply posting "Tipton County is not Germantown or Collierville." But that wasn't your point. Your point was to insult and degrade. That's been your point repeatedly on this forum.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
no, your remark was characteristically tasteless and cruel. If your point was that tipton county is not germantown or collierville, you could have made that point by simply posting "tipton county is not germantown or collierville." but that wasn't your point. Your point was to insult and degrade. That's been your point repeatedly on this forum.
thank you! I have been wanting someone to say that for 2 weeks!

Old 08-06-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
No, your remark was characteristically tasteless and cruel. If your point was that Tipton County is not Germantown or Collierville, you could have made that point by simply posting "Tipton County is not Germantown or Collierville." But that wasn't your point. Your point was to insult and degrade. That's been your point repeatedly on this forum.
No, it hasn't. I am trying to give my honest opinions and advice about Memphis and help people make smart decisions about moving here. When someone presents such ridiculous "facts" as this individual has it's not unreasonable to want to correct them. If you don't appreciate my blunt honesty then you don't have to read my posts. Glad we cleared this up.

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 08-06-2011 at 04:20 PM..

Old 08-06-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
No, it hasn't. I am trying to give my honest opinions and advice about Memphis and help people make smart decisions about moving here. When someone presents such ridiculous "facts" as this individual has it's not unreasonable to want to correct them. If you don't appreciate my blunt honesty then you don't have to read my posts. Glad we cleared this up.
See, the thing with you is, you need to get your self together and facts straight before you comment. I do respect Tigertate greatly for at least giving some counterexamples as to why he believes I am not being honest. You on the other hand, just sat back and made a joke of Tipton County. I have no problem with people proving me wrong. It's part of life. What you need to do is accept that fact and admit to being wrong in this circumstance. You said (and i quote) "Yes I have been and it's a poor little country town with a lot of rednecks." That one statement made everyone think that your posts are biased because you refuse to give in to the fact that there are important people in this world outside of Memphis and Shelby County. Reading your posts about Tipton County made me nauseous because what you said is NOT true. Granted, most people up here are very country, but that does not mean they are rednecks. I will even give you the benefit of my doubt and say that there are some rednecks in Tipton County. However, I would be willing to bet (and I don't gamble) that there are some rednecks in Memphis too. We are in the south! There are going to be rednecks anywhere you go! If you don't like that, then move somewhere else, because you are honestly a disgrace to this area. When people think of the south, Memphis is one of the first cities that comes to mind. The city already has enough problems at the moment and they do not need you or anyone like you making it worse by trashing the area.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:18 PM

Beautiful post, wsgolding. Couldn't have said it better myself. I do wish all the bigots would go elsewhere; why they choose to post their hatred on this board is beyond me. Of course, we all know it's the same person posting over and over and over again under different screen names anyway.

Glad we cleared that up.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:36 PM

If you'll recall I did cite counterexamples of your claims. I was wrong in saying those things about people from your part of town, and was probably just frustrated with the whole comparing it to Germantown thing, and I apologize. Obviously there are rednecks in all parts of Memphis, and I admit I made a sweeping claim that clearly does not refer to all people, including yourself. I am presenting what I consider to be the general, though I admit very crass, view of that area from people within my circles and demographics. Perhaps you don't like the fact that I have negative things to say about Memphis, but as someone who moved here from out of town, I have been very disappointed with nearly every aspect of living here, would move elsewhere if my job here weren't so good, and want to be honest with anyone who might be considering moving here from out of town. Posting on these forums doesn't mean I am obligated to make Memphis look good, because from my perspective, that would be a lie. I repeat, I am SORRY for any offense, and did not mean to derail this thread further with this stuff.

And strumpeace I really can't stress enough the fact that I am NOT whoever on earth you are talking about registering under a different sn. I pm-ed you very politely a while ago telling you that and for whatever reason did not bother to respond. If you really believe that's true then take it up with the mods, and they'll be happy to tell you it isn't true. I honestly have no idea who or what you are talking about and think you are being totally unfair in your accusations.

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 08-06-2011 at 08:45 PM..

Old 08-06-2011, 08:54 PM

I opted to delete your PM and did not read it. From your earliest posts on this board, you've made it clear that you're part of the disease. People like you (negative, bigoted, hateful) are a dime a dozen in Memphis. Offering an honest opinion (even if it is less than flattering) is one thing; making sweeping, hurtful, hateful generalizations about people who don't look or talk like you is another. The first is honesty. The second is bigotry.

And I'm terribly sorry you've been disappointed with Memphis. We're pretty disappointed with you, too. Feel free to share your love with some other 'lucky' city.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:24 PM

You really don't know me. None of those adjectives describe me in any way at all. I'm a very nice person, and shunning my opinions isn't going to make anything better either. This forum is going to be the most informative to other people when everyone is able to voice their opinions in a civil manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis