U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 38,806 times

Advertisements

I have read the many posts and responses, and appreciate the wealth of information shared, Thank You!
I have a pretty specific question, and I hope someone knowledgeable about the different neighborhoods and areas of Memphis can help me.
My husband and I don't have kids..2 dogs..And we need to be within a 15-20 minute commute (at the most) from the University of Memphis. He works there, and we need to be in a safe area (he works long hours).
Do you think we need to move to G'town/Collierville? I love the Mud Island/Midtown/East Memphis areas, along with the historic neighborhoods.
Does anyone live in Chickasaw, Central, or other areas have advice?
Many Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 08:48 PM

9,086 posts, read 21,710,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jah23 View Post
I have read the many posts and responses, and appreciate the wealth of information shared, Thank You!
I have a pretty specific question, and I hope someone knowledgeable about the different neighborhoods and areas of Memphis can help me.
My husband and I don't have kids..2 dogs..And we need to be within a 15-20 minute commute (at the most) from the University of Memphis. He works there, and we need to be in a safe area (he works long hours).
Do you think we need to move to G'town/Collierville? I love the Mud Island/Midtown/East Memphis areas, along with the historic neighborhoods.
Does anyone live in Chickasaw, Central, or other areas have advice?
Many Thanks!
When I first moved to Memphis I lived in Central Gardens, and it was WONDERFUL. It wasn't until I stupidly moved closer to the U of M that I experienced crime. In Central Gardens I lived on Peabody and absolutely loved walking around my neighborhood and walking to run most of my errands. It's an incredibly beautiful neighborhood with a police station next door on Union Ave. And the commute from there to the U of M is a breeze, a straight shot down beautiful Central Avenue.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:01 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,022,852 times
I live in Central Gardens as well and I love it. With all of midtown, you need to be careful of petty crime. IE...homeless people wandering the streets, riffling through your trash, etc. I would feel more at ease with a fenced in back yard, but I don't have that option. It seems like there is more on the news about home invasions coming from Gtown and Cville lately.

Central Gardens has some very expensive, historic homes. When I was riding through the neighborhood yesterday, a warm sunny day, there were tons of kids riding bikes, women walking dogs, men throwing baseballs around to their sons. It's a nice area.

I'm sure you can find just as good in the burbs, but those homes are brand new cookie cutters for the most part. It can also mean a loooooong drive in traffic. Cville would not be 15 min from UM.

Chickasaw is also a great area of town, closer to UM. It all depends on your price range really, although anything in Gtown and Cville would probably be close in price to the nicer homes of midtown.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:33 PM

17 posts, read 78,780 times
Central gardens seems like a nice place for me as well. Where exactly is central gardens (cross streets?) are there any apartments complexes nearby?

Old 10-20-2008, 09:53 AM

Welcome to the Frontpage - Central Gardens

They have a map that shows you the exact area. It's a national historic district, so there are specific streets that enclose it.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 AM

And there are many rentals in CG. Mostly people who rent out units in old homes, but also some smaller buildings that were built as apartments in the early part of the century. (last century)

Old 10-21-2008, 12:50 AM

185 posts, read 659,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Welcome to the Frontpage - Central Gardens

They have a map that shows you the exact area. It's a national historic district, so there are specific streets that enclose it.
Oh wow, yall have a nice website! Wish we had something like that. No forum though? Maybe it's hidden from public view. Whoever made the pics of the houses for that site did a great job.

To the OP (jah23):
Well, I’m surprised you received so many responses without actually providing us with the necessary specifics first.
Are you renting or buying?
What price range?

Moving to Memphis...What is the best neighborhood?
Upscale subdivisions that have houses exceeding the million dollar range:
River Oaks has 67 homes for sale (behind Ruth Chris, Shady Grove area).
Central Gardens has 52 homes for sale (midtown area).
Harbor Town has 33 homes for sale (downtown, “Mud Island”).
Chickasaw Gardens has 14 homes for sale (off Poplar across from Senses).
Red Acres has 11 homes for sale (U of M area, shortest commute).

Red Acres would be the most desirable for you from a commuting standpoint, then Chickasaw Gardens which is 1 mile away from U of M. Here’s a quaint starter home in Red Acres that was recently listed, its a few houses down from coach Calipari. I think your two dogs would totally approve, comes with a whopping 2 and 1/2 acres!

Last edited by simcity; 10-21-2008 at 01:11 AM..

Old 10-21-2008, 12:29 PM

736 posts, read 1,516,318 times
SIMCITY wrote "Here’s a quaint starter home in Red Acres that was recently listed, its a few houses down from coach Calipari. I think your two dogs would totally approve, comes with a whopping 2 and 1/2 acres!"

lol, good one. Is that willy's house?

Old 10-21-2008, 01:09 PM

185 posts, read 659,625 times
Haha, you mean King Willieís? Not yet itís not, but I donít think he would feel welcome in this neighborhood. Hereís the list of King Willieís properties.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:37 PM

His house was purchased for $32k in 1991, and now it is appraised for $550k? That sounds about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis