U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:39 AM

58 posts, read 168,362 times

Advertisements

Relatively low cost of living ( in the middle of nowhere). I can't think of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 01:42 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,431,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Seriously, the list is very, very short. I'll add some things Memphis DOESN'T have going for it.

... but I don't want to sound negative
Yes, you do. Otherwise, you would not have hijacked/changed the topic.

The OP already knows negative things, and explicitly did not seek more negative things.

From the OP: "Enough of that though. I've read all that there is wrong about Memphis tell me what's right about it. Sell me on living there (please)."

The list of "things Memphis doesn't have going for it" is a deliberate effort to not answer the OP's question.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:47 PM

A Greenline running/walking path is being constructed and hundreds of volunteers went in to help clean it up.
Pinnacle Airlines just purchased Mesaba.
Companies such as Monogram and American Clothing are expanding.
Toyota announced that construction is resuming and production will begin soon. Affiliate Hino also announced expansion in Arkansas.
The county and city commissions announced zoning changes to address the needs and safety of pedestrians and bicyclists.
LeBonheur's new construction is just about complete.
These developments were announced the past couple of months.

These were announced in the past couple of years.
Levitt Shell was saved and is now host to several free concerts a week.
A year or so ago Wharton went to Desoto County's chamber of commerce, the event was packed, and while it obviously is only a first step, the chamber noted the stark contrast from his predecessor, who never attended.
The old guitar center on Madison was converted to Minglewood Hall, which has brought many national acts to town.
There is now at least three farmer's markets around the region.
Herenton left office.

We are currently pursuing at least the following: redevelopment of the Pinch with BPS, skateparks for Mud Island and Binghampton (vote for them daily through Pepsi). One new interstate has been added (actually officially redesignated I22) and another is being constructed (I can't keep track of which parts of 69 are done). All five Class 1 railroads have expanded and modernized their facilities.

Not all of this matters to everyone, I know. Some may have the knee-jerk reaction of, who cares? Well, it affects our economy and that trickles down to the residents who live here. Just because something doesn't affect any of us personally doesn't mean it does not improve our community as a whole. Some of these things directly affect our residents' quality of life too.

Despite the negative news, there's a plethora of positive news to balance against. Positive news that must be acknowledged. In fact, in light of these developments, the region is getting better.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:55 PM

The achievements of those who look for reasons and ways to make Memphis better, improve on its faults (and we do have faults), and do something about them, their achievements need to be noted, and their efforts recognized. So often, the pernicious negativity can frustrate the well-intentioned to give up, they feel the onslaught from the tone of the media and some in the community and they don't feel they are making a difference. Some look for reasons that something can't get done. Some look for reasons not to support something. Some try to be the first one to see a crack. And raise their voice in pride as if they deserve some pat on the back or an award for that.

Those achievements occurred because someone saw a crack and conceived of an idea to fill it, someone believed it could get done, that others saw a reason to support it. Those are the kinds of people in any community that deserve praise and recognition. Not the folks who seek a status upgrade because they feel they are some contrived civic critic.

I may be overstating things, but I perceive a battle for no less than the civic self-esteem of Memphis, and future generations. They can grow up thinking they are so incapable of doing things because their forefathers weren't perfect in every task they pursued that they should never aspire to anything again, shouldn't stop imagining better things, and stop pursuing goals.

Or they can grow up with imagination, vision, and enthusiasm -- and that improving oneself is possible and has happened many a time. And just because you fail doesn't mean you shouldn't get back up and seize another opportunity when it arises. In light of many of the struggles our community faces, I don't think this battle can be trivialized. We will fail again. Every city has. But what their communities are infested with besides ego is faith in themselves and past accomplishments. Many communities would see one achievement as outweighing a dozen failures. Unfortunately, ours could be the opposite.

With all the obstacles that the city faces, it needs successive generations with faith in its potential to turn it around. And the folks on that list, and many, many others, are blazing that trail.

Memphis, in spite of its flaws, despite those who seek to prevent a better tomorrow, still has many, many people who look for reasons why things can happen. They are behind Bridgebuilders. They are behind St. Jude. They are behind Le Bonheur. There are many, many kind-hearted and innovative and entrepreneurial people in the extended region who are working to make Memphis better tomorrow than it was yesterday.

If anyone is looking at why to come to Memphis, it's that that spirit still is alive, despite some within the community trying to suffocate it.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:21 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,124,914 times
goat mentions the things about memphis that most already know. obviously, though, he is not as informed as one might think...ripley is not memphis...and ripley's tomatoes, by and large, are hot house tomatoes from arkansas. those that are production cased in ripley are hot house, also.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,190,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
goat mentions the things about memphis that most already know. obviously, though, he is not as informed as one might think...ripley is not memphis...and ripley's tomatoes, by and large, are hot house tomatoes from arkansas. those that are production cased in ripley are hot house, also.
Ripley is not Memphis. No kidding, you should be mayor by now with such insight. You drive up Singleton Parkway, past Jone's Orchard, across to Hwy 51, through Atoka, Munford and Covington to RIPLEY and purchase Ripley Tomatoes... in Ripley, TN....north of Memphis. Who is informed now?

Old 07-06-2010, 12:32 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,190,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Yes, you do. Otherwise, you would not have hijacked/changed the topic.

The OP already knows negative things, and explicitly did not seek more negative things.

From the OP: "Enough of that though. I've read all that there is wrong about Memphis tell me what's right about it. Sell me on living there (please)."

The list of "things Memphis doesn't have going for it" is a deliberate effort to not answer the OP's question.
That was sarcasm, Skippy. I DO want to sound negative because Memphis is a horrible city to consider moving to. Those who try to sugar-coat it are not being objective. In every socio-economic category that counts, Memphis fails miserably.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:16 PM

137 posts, read 299,443 times
Your no bull5h1t comments are the very reason a added to your rep.

now my good comments about Memphis.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:30 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,124,914 times
your brain must be the size of a teardrop tomato...probably shipped in from ca or fla.

i saw the movie, the firm, last evening. i had never seen it, and though i am no movie buff, i really enjoyed it, and i enjoyed the many flattering scenes of memphis.

i understand that one element advanced by the regional chamber of commerce for economic growth, tourism, and the like in the memphis region centers around its destination as a venue for continued filming and entertainment and for national commercial venues. i think that is a worthy goal, and i wish memphis well. i know some who have pointed out how terrible it was for memphis to have been profiled on 48 hours. some in our state laughed about memphis being the only city which deserved the attention of 48 hours.

actually, memphis may get the last laugh, now that knoxville has gotten quite a good deal of national air time on court tv for no less than 4 televised murder trials. nashville, too, has gotten "soiled" along the way, w/ the several dateline nbc profiles and updates on the marsh murder case, the mexican gangland murders and invasion of gang activity in nashville-davidson county, and the murder/suicide of the football guy and his lover in downtown nashville.

i believe you will find these programs on msnbc, court tv, dateline nbc, and a program by the name of "snapped". for those looking for corruption, you might be interested in the expose' on dr. bruce levy, the former director of the middle and east tn medical examiner's office, as well as his contract w/ the state of ms. i believe he made big headlines several years ago on 60 minutes/dateline nbc, when he was starting out contract services for the state's medical examiner's office. o.c. wasn't convicted...levy won't be so lucky...too many fingers in too many pockets, so to speak!

i think of that old country song, "who's sorry now".

Old 07-06-2010, 08:19 PM

165 posts, read 296,074 times
Once again the party gets crashed. LOL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis