U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:07 PM

23 posts, read 115,654 times
Default What's good about living in Memphis?

It looks like we're temporarily (6 mos to ???) relocating to Memphis from Santa Barbara, Ca. Obviously there is no comparison, especially for a born and bred Southern Californian. Finances and situations out of our control (i.e. house burned down in wildfire and we were under-insured) has made this an option I never, ever thought possible.

We need to live somewhere more affordable. DH's family all live out that way and... well I got the short straw (Oregon's is off the list).

Enough of that though. I've read all that there is wrong about Memphis tell me what's right about it. Sell me on living there (please).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 12:14 PM

3,381 posts, read 8,523,319 times
This has been discussed many times before, you can search this forum.

Or, this thread is the same: List the good things about memphis

Old 03-03-2009, 12:48 PM

Thanks Pearlbob.

What about outdoor activities. Coming from CA we spend alot of time outside biking, walking, sports etc. Are there any parts of Memphis that are walk / bike friendly?

We just got back from Germantown and it seems so unfriendly to pedestrians and bicycles. I would prefer to not have to drive everywhere.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:40 PM

122 posts, read 263,391 times
Is Germantown where you are moving?

Old 03-03-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnr4411 View Post
Is Germantown where you are moving?
We simply don't know right now. My husband's parents are in Germantown and his brothers are in Cordova. He has a brother in Marion so that's not out of the question either.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:54 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,439,669 times
Well, at least you won't have to worry about wildfires, mudslides and earthquakes. Oops....scratch "earthquakes" from that list

As far as being able to bike or walk to everything....forget it. Memphis covers a very, very large area - especially if you include the suburbs like Germantown and Collierville - and there aren't really any places that are close enough to a large variety of amenities. Some places in Midtown might fit the bill to a degree but, for the most part, you'll have to decide what you want to be within walking distance of and what is less important.

I thought Californians drove everywhere anyway!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:52 PM

3,381 posts, read 8,523,319 times
Memphis is definitely a car city, whether you like it or not. Like has been said, things are very spread out and even in the "inner" city (downtown, midtown, east Memphis) things are not within walking or biking distance. You may be able to walk some places, but generally speaking you need a car for everything. How do you get groceries if you don't drive? What if you need to go to Target, Walmart, or some other big store for items?

I think Germantown is pedestrian/biker friendly. Obviously not on the major roads, but Germantown has a lot of neighborhoods where you can walk around and get some exercise. But again, you're not going to see people in Germantown walking to the grocery store to get items for dinner (And...it's in the 90's and over 100 degrees in the summer, with over 90% humidity. Not the weather for a leisurely walk.)

Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 PM

122 posts, read 263,391 times
Well, Germantown may be cheaper than Santa Barbara, but it's pretty pricey for around here. Cordova should be less expensive. If you have kids, you may want to look at Germantown, Collierville, Lakeland or Arlington for good schools. If schools are not an issue, you might want to look downtown. It is really growing and seems like a cool place to live.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:50 AM

754 posts, read 1,675,731 times
Sell me on living there (please).

Uh...well, the BBQ is world class. So there's that.

(Don't flame me, I'm just messin' around!)

Old 03-04-2009, 01:02 PM

I'm not one of those that bike or walk to the grocery store (unless all I need is milk or bread). I do commute to work on a bike but I guess the heat would stop that anyway. Sounds like Germantown would be OK for recreational riding when the weather cooperates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Memphis is definitely a car city, whether you like it or not. Like has been said, things are very spread out and even in the "inner" city (downtown, midtown, east Memphis) things are not within walking or biking distance. You may be able to walk some places, but generally speaking you need a car for everything. How do you get groceries if you don't drive? What if you need to go to Target, Walmart, or some other big store for items?

I think Germantown is pedestrian/biker friendly. Obviously not on the major roads, but Germantown has a lot of neighborhoods where you can walk around and get some exercise. But again, you're not going to see people in Germantown walking to the grocery store to get items for dinner (And...it's in the 90's and over 100 degrees in the summer, with over 90% humidity. Not the weather for a leisurely walk.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis