U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-27-2009, 02:16 AM

38 posts, read 112,477 times
Default My first driving ticket in TN - please help with suggestions

Guys, a few hours ago I got pulled over for the very first time in Memphis and/or the state of TN. I was doing 60 in a 55 zone, at 2:00am (I was going to work early so I could get a few things done prior to an 8am conference call - silly me). I was issued a ticket, it states that my violation is 21-106 - speeding - doing 60 in a 55.

When the guy came back to the car he said that if I pay in the next 15 days it will NOT go on my record!!!! I asked him to repeat what he said and he said again that it will NOT go on my record.

I got to work and tried to find some info on the point system in TN. It says that for doing 1-5mph over the speed limit you get 1 point and you pay $24. It is not about the $24 (btw, don't you have to pay some fees on top of that and also, why doesn't it say on the ticket how much you need to pay like they do in other in states? ) I just don't want this to go on my record.

I'm sure some of you have got pulled over in Memphis over the years...what happens. Do I pay or do I go to court at the end of May at 1.30pm?

PS It is ridiculous that with so many bad and/or uninsured drivers in Memphis, with so many accidents everywhere you look, with people driving like morons all the time, in traffic, in the middle of the day, I get pulled over for doing 60 in a 55. Probably if I was doing 80 with no insurance and expired tags he would've let me off with a warning - a little bit upset over here, ok?

Last edited by dannnnny29; 03-27-2009 at 03:09 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 06:33 AM

101 posts, read 221,230 times
My boyfriend got a ticket for going 5 over near the airport when he was taking me to catch a flight last summer(the cops were literally STANDING in the middle of the road and lasering people as they got off the interstate). We just went down to 201, stood in line about 45 minutes, and they dismissed it. Nothing on his record. Didn't cost anything but time.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleT View Post
My boyfriend got a ticket for going 5 over near the airport when he was taking me to catch a flight last summer(the cops were literally STANDING in the middle of the road and lasering people as they got off the interstate). We just went down to 201, stood in line about 45 minutes, and they dismissed it. Nothing on his record. Didn't cost anything but time.
Ok, I guess that's what I'll have to do. It's much harder in PA - if you decide not to pay (I am assuming I don't pay my ticket prior to going to court?!?!) they ask the cop to be present (friends have told me). I take it it's not like that here.

Could you tell me where I should go. On the ticket it says "Appear in Div.2 of city court on........" What/where is that! Thank you guys!

Old 03-27-2009, 07:11 AM

197 posts, read 438,977 times
I haven't been pulled over here so I have no advice for you on that, but that definitely sucks. Whoever pulled you over must have really been looking for something to do. Beware if you're ever driving in Germantown though! The cops are notorious for always looking for speeders there and I hear they're pretty merciless. My friend was ticketed for going 44 in a 40. Yes, really.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:44 AM

3,381 posts, read 8,828,484 times
Everyone I have known who has gotten a ticket and appeared in court over it, it has been dismissed. Every single one.

I do not have the time or patience for that however. Taking a day off work just to save $50? Or whatever the price is. I don't know about prices, but every ticket I have gotten here has been well over $24, so that sounds too low to me. Maybe the website is wrong. Maybe he added something else to the ticket that you don't see? You should be able to call and get an answer.

The courthouse is downtown. That's where you'll need to go.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:42 AM

It is not about the 24 or 30 or 50 bucks. But when I do get caught speeding next time, doing more than 5mph over the speed limit, I would hate to already have something like that on my record, I just want to eliminate the precedent. That was it. I have 14 days to decide whether I want to pay or take a long lunch break at the end of May. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2009, 08:59 AM

3,381 posts, read 8,828,484 times
A looooong lunch break If you go, they most likely will dismiss it. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:22 AM
bjh

20,257 posts, read 11,791,923 times
I had a ticket dismissed. It is possible the ticketing officer will be present, but not likely. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:36 AM

357 posts, read 744,298 times
The prosecuting attorney can't present a case against you without the arresting officer there. That's how they schedule your court appearance; it coincides with a regular court date the officer has for other tickets and they do them all at that time. So, it's part of the officer's job to be a witness to back up whatever tickets or arrests they make (getting a ticket is technically a citation in lieu of a physical arrest). At least that's how it used to work.

A fine and court costs are two different things. Getting out of both is what you want, but beating the fine keeps it off your court misdemeanor record and off the Dept of Safety's driving record (those are expunged every few years anyway).

Your biggest problem with the record is insurance premiums. The record is not automatically revealed to your carrier, but you can be asked about it when you apply. They can check on it when you apply for insurance or if you have an accident, although who gets the ticket in an accident is not usually the determining factor with insurance. They make their own decisions on that.

If it were me, I'd follow the advice given here, show up and try to get it dismissed. You'd like it without fine and costs, but if it can't be avoided it's better to get a dismissal with no fine even if you get assessed with court costs.

I used to get these myself, but having gotten older I find I no longer have so many places to get to in a hurry and thus no tickets...

Old 03-28-2009, 07:33 PM

624 posts, read 2,791,044 times
I would pay the $30 just to avoid a trip down to 201 Poplar - that place is so sketchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis