Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 08:47 PM

7 posts, read 36,266 times

Advertisements

I know there are probably not many with first hand information on these two schools, but I am interested in the PK through 8 school St. Francis and the high school right next to it, St. Benedict at Auburndale. I have a small list of questions below if anyone can answer them. Any knowledge you have would be helpful. We are really in the dark on everything in the area (we are moving to the Memphis area this summer and we are interested because there is a church and school for our family right there until both our boys reach 12th grade).

1) Is St. Francis a good school?
2) St. Benedict a good school?
3) any information on the football program at Benedict's?
4) I am a teacher myself. Does the catholic school system in Memphis give discounted tuition to teachers' children who attend those schools?

Thanks again for any information, no matter how small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 11:08 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
They are pretty good schools IMO, I don't know much about details, but I have many friends that went to St. Benedict for elementary school (now St. Francis) and many friends that graduated from St. Benedict high school. I also attend St. Francis church every once in awhile. SBA is becoming a more well-regarded private school, especially since the new high school opened in 2004. It has a good reputation, even for being one of the cheaper private schools in the area at around $7,000-$8,000. I tried looking online for discount information, and I couldn't find anything. It would make sense though, maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

I'm not sure that SBA is known for athletics. I do know that Christian Brother's High school is a very athletic school and well-known for football. Tuition is a little higher, but it's still cheap considering that it's one of the top high schools in the area. It's an all-boys school, but there is a girl's Catholic school, St. Agnes, right down the road. As for nearby Catholic elementary schools, there are many in that close area of East Memphis. There's St. Dominic, St. Louis, Holy Rosary, and a couple others further away.

Sorry, I just had to mention that area because East Memphis is the best part of Memphis IMO; and it seems to be the most Catholic part of Memphis, with large Catholic churches and many Catholic schools. Also, East Memphis is more stable and established than Cordova (where SBA is located) There's no telling what Cordova will look like 10 years from now, but East Memphis hasn't changed much over the years.

Here's more information on the Catholic schools in Memphis:
http://www.cdom.org/schoolsite/pages/schools.htm (broken link)

Last edited by Smtchll; 04-16-2009 at 11:30 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 06:48 AM

89 posts, read 247,410 times
I second smtchll's comments on East Memphis. I love this part of town, and it's convenient to everything. I'm a former Catholic myself, but I know several people who did attend or have children attending Holy Rosary, St. Louis and Christian Brothers, and they all speak very highly of those schools. I have heard good things about SBA too, and if you have children of different genders and understandably want them attending the same school, SBA may be your best choice.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:07 AM

738 posts, read 2,575,061 times
I know 2 parents in my neighborhood who are pulling their kids from SBA. Nothing horrible, they just think it's not worth the $$, they are moving their kids to public schools. I've heard great things about CBHS on the other hand, and if your kids are into sports at all, they've got great programs.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:01 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
^ SBA is really cheap though, I don't see how they didn't get their money's worth, but oh well. I hope the OP gives us his thoughts on CBHS because we all seem to be suggesting it.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:37 AM

738 posts, read 2,575,061 times
Smtchll, I should have been more specific, that was when they compared the school to the Shelby County school that their kids would go to, they're actually really good around here. Houston and Collierville High.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:12 PM

94 posts, read 374,523 times
My friend's daughter goes to St. Agnes, and she likes it, but says the Homework is overkill. (and she's a teacher and so am I) I've only been in TN a short time, but went and toured like 20 schools trying to find the right one for my autistic son. I settled on St. Anne on Highland but he's in 5th grade. They've been fabulous. I really liked St. Francis too, but it's too big for my son. I'm applying at the diocese shortly, and from all my tours, I don't think I heard anything about a tuition discount if you work for them. CBHS I know a teacher from there, and some kids there, and I've heard nothing but positive things. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis