Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 09:16 PM

242 posts, read 969,937 times

Advertisements

We will be in Memphis just before Thanksgiving. We move to OKC in 3 weeks for my husband to begin his classroom training for 4 months (we're going early due me being laid off).

Anyways, he's going to be in school pretty much Mon-Friday and may even has some weekend and evening classes.

We will be going to Memphis for a visit to view properties. Unfortunatly due to moving expenses and my job vanishing and other unforseen financial hits, we'll probably only be able to go once before our move.

Having a large dog, I'd really like to find a rent house. I have seen many of you mention that alot of people don't advertise in the paper or craigslist but the majority are found by driving around. This will be almost impossible for us. Since we'll probably only be in town for 2 days. getting an appt with a landlord will be hard. I have seen some on craiglist and will start looking more when we get close.

If we have to go the apartment route, I'll just get the shortest lease we can. We have an apartment in OKC already lined up. I just hate to have to be in one for a long period of time. But will adjust to whatever we have to!

I am excited! Nov seems so far away!!! We are so ready to be in Memphis!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 10:08 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,320,565 times
Go through a rental management company, and have them set up a big list of properties to look at while you are in town. However, keep in mind things rent immeidately. Unlike other cities, if someone is advertising that means it is empty and ready to move in now. You won't find many people advertising for a rental that won't be available for months to come. If you cannot hire someone to do this for you, you'll need to come more than once to make sure you get something safe. It's well worth it.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:00 AM

242 posts, read 969,937 times
Unfortunatly with my shubands schedule, we will have a very limited times where we can come... I am sure it will all work out. We do have some people who live there and are willing to drive by places for us. I wish we were able to do more, I really do, but it's not something we can do. If it comes down to it we may have to rent a "extended stay" hotel for a week or so while we search. Not ideal, but moving never ends up ideal, does it? HA HA HA.

How can I find rental companies? Does anyone have any they suggest or uggest staying away from?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:55 AM

42 posts, read 146,501 times
Be wary of renting in Memphis over the internet or through pictures. I almost made that mistake when I moved here. Many of the owners are smart and have a way of taking pictures of the property at appealing angles but only to find out later that it is next door to an abandoned building, warehouse or down the street from a poverty stricken area. You really have to be careful. Do you know anyone in the city? My advice would be to find properties online and have someone physically check them out. Also- my husband and I were almost scammed by renting online. The 'owner' from craigslist posted gorgeous shots of a 3 bedroom home for rent w/ a huge backyard. He was asking for pre-lease agreement where we basically send the deposit or part of the deposit to hold the property until we arrived. Well, come to find out - the property wasn't for rent or sell. The real owners (who had bought it) were still living inside. We found this out because we had a friend go by and check out the property. Also - you won't find many apartment communities inside the loop unless you are in downtown, uptown, mud island or east memphis. There are many new communities in collierville, cordova, and bartlett that would welcome large animals.

Edited to Add: I have no experience with this company but I do see their signs on rental properties quite often: http://www.omnirealty.net/

Old 05-03-2009, 01:32 PM

340 posts, read 1,308,445 times
I don't know if this is allowed, but this link:

7443 Overcreek Lane - Bartlett, TN 38133 Details of Property Real Estate for Sale

is in a neighborhood in Bartlett we rented in for a while during an in-town move. The neighborhood was quiet and had a community pool, and this house was rented out while we lived there and the renters had a large dog. There are a couple of other rentals in the neighborhood as well, but they seem to go pretty quick.

I don't know the landlord (I think it is a military by owner rental, so I would doubt they are the slum lord type), but I can recommend the neighborhood. In fact, we ended up moving to a house in an adjoining neighborhood. It is close to shopping (Kroger and some smaller stores/restaurants) and a couple of really nice parks are within walking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis