Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:18 PM

165 posts, read 600,876 times

Advertisements

I am unfortuately from Memphis and the only good thing about Memphis is food. I have been out of the country, so my information is a bit dated.

I like the good old Piccadilly Cafeteria. Their fried chicken rocks.

I think now that there are so many Mexican places now that Panchos is probably getting ran out of business. The location in West Memphis must have been there for maybe 40 years, because I am 42 and always remember the place being there. What I love from there is the chips and cheese dip. We used to eat on that so much that when the food came, we weren't that hungry (and Mexican food wont keep either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 08:24 AM

7 posts, read 13,551 times
I've always lived in Memphis and lamented the crime rate, though it has never touched me personally. I've also thought of moving but seeing so many get down on Memphis has brought out the protective side of me. Go figure. I haven't been to Panchos in years but I guess we'll have to try it out again. My six year old has never been there. Some places that haven't been mentioned but definitely need to be:
El Molino on Summer. It's in the strip mall with Fitness Premier. Best service I've ever had. Awesome food, good prices.
Gus's Fried Chicken is great. Best fried chicken anywhere.
Stinkerbells in Bartlett has fair food year round. Hand dipped corn dogs, hand made burgers, awesome shakes, just really good. It's one of the old-fashioned drive-thrus with a couple of picnic tables in the grass. One street east of Bartlett Blvd and Stage on the corner of Bartlett Blvd and a smaller street. Kinda pricy but worth it.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:05 AM

455 posts, read 1,559,645 times
I'm certain the West Memphis Pancho's was the earliest. I recall as a treat or field trip or something our high school Spanish class had a dinner there...in about 1963 (yeah, I know, just how old is he anyway??). It was around before that, probably since sometime in the 50s. So, any way you add it up, it's stood the old test of time.

I used to also eat at the one at Union and McLean (at least I think it was McLean). And now we sometimes do the one at Summer and White Station.

I too love the dip appetizer. They've always featured it and it's always been a big hit. In fact, I notice that other Mexican style places seem to do the same. I don't know if it's something traditional in Mexico or if others are copying Pancho's.

Anyhow...something I've been wondering...do we have any here who have lived or visited a lot in Mexico and would care to comment on Mexican restaurants in Memphis?

Old 07-26-2009, 04:20 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,736 times
I recently had lunch at a place called Fat Larry's on Highway 70 just west of Appling in Bartlett. I wouldn't normally recommend a place after one visit, but it was the best meat and two lunch I've had in a long time (maybe ever). The Chicken Fried Steak was fantastic, and the turnip greens and mashed potatoes and gravy were perfect. The folks I was with had a variety of other things and all said it was really good.

I think it is a BBQ place, but I didn't see anybody eating BBQ at lunch time. I'd like to try the BBQ, but if I go back I don't think I can pass up that Chicken Fried Steak.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:00 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,001,959 times
I've had the BBQ at Fat Larry's....it was very good.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis