Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:02 PM

7 posts, read 25,153 times

Advertisements

I posted a thread recently about moving to Memphis (particularly Mud Island) for physical therapy school. I am from Jackson, MS; so, I am somewhat familiar with the idea of a nice neighborhood turning into a rough one. With that said, the more I read the forum, the more nervous I get.

I keep hearing stories about people's cars getting stolen right out of their front yard or getting robbed walking down the street. I was not particularly intimidated about moving to Memphis seeing as though my current hometown is not known for being the mecca of safety. On the other hand, do I need to invest in a pistol and permit? I am asking this question seriously.

Am I wrong in assuming that if I am out and about from essentially 8am to 5pm that I will be ok? The way we treat things here is that you just don't want to be in an area at night or a time of the day when no one else is around...otherwise you'll be fine. Is it that often people's apartments or cars get broken into on the island or in various parking garages downtown?

Sorry for the long post...just looking for some reassurance, tips, whatever I can get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 09:28 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
I felt the same way when I found this forum in whatever month my join date is. I think my thread was called. Now I think I made a mistake

*edit: here it is.
Now wondering if have made a mistake

This after being in Memphis many times and never having had a bad experience. I think Attila the Hun would be scared of moving to Memphis based on this forum, and that's the way some people want it.

Come here, find an apartment or house. It'll be okay. If you don't want to live on mud island there are many other areas you will like here. What are you looking for? HOuse or apartment? Suburban or city? Memphis and its 'burbs are full of good places. There's a lot of variety. You're sure to find something that makes sense for you!

Last edited by bjh; 05-07-2009 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: add topic link

Old 05-07-2009, 11:10 PM

Thanks for your quick response!

I am attracted to mud island because the two biggest things I am looking for are a short commute to school and safety. Therefore, I don't really want to live out in Germantown (where I know I'd probably be safer) nor Midtown (sounds like a fun place to hang out but not terribly safe). I did find an apartment for rent for around $800. I cannot afford to go much over that. I also have two dogs and I run outdoors a lot; so, the riverbank/park area on the island is another big draw. I would like to be close to the city and have the whole city experience, but I'd also like to not lose possession of my car or life for as long as possible. Ha!

If you have any other suggestions for something that would fit my criteria (or if you think its worth it to live outside the city) then I would definitely love to hear it.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:16 AM

26 posts, read 58,641 times
Default you'll be fine

downtown/ the island has one of the lowest crime rates in the city... I know the horror stories..but i just don't see it.. i go and do anything anywhere in the city and i feel safe.... yes like anywhere there are places i'd rather not be at 3am alone...

i work alone downtown at all ours of the day & night and have no issues with it

i think you & your dogs will enjoy the riverfront... it is memphis

pt

Old 05-08-2009, 07:31 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
You'll be fine. Jackson isn't that great either, as you admit. Memphis is simply larger. Mud Island is probably the safest area of Memphis, because it is so isolated.

Midtown has great areas, don't rule it out. It will also be far cheaper than living downtown, in many aspects.

I'm not saying crime doesn't exist here, it obviously does, and there is a lot of it. But please keep in mind - if something bad happens to someone, they want to talk about it and tell people and warn people. If something good happens, they simply move on and don't worry about it. No one is joining this forum just to state "I had a great day in Memphis today and I was not a victim of crime!"

Old 05-08-2009, 03:12 PM

45 posts, read 124,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr193 View Post
I posted a thread recently about moving to Memphis (particularly Mud Island) for physical therapy school. I am from Jackson, MS; so, I am somewhat familiar with the idea of a nice neighborhood turning into a rough one. With that said, the more I read the forum, the more nervous I get.

I keep hearing stories about people's cars getting stolen right out of their front yard or getting robbed walking down the street. I was not particularly intimidated about moving to Memphis seeing as though my current hometown is not known for being the mecca of safety. On the other hand, do I need to invest in a pistol and permit? I am asking this question seriously.

Am I wrong in assuming that if I am out and about from essentially 8am to 5pm that I will be ok? The way we treat things here is that you just don't want to be in an area at night or a time of the day when no one else is around...otherwise you'll be fine. Is it that often people's apartments or cars get broken into on the island or in various parking garages downtown?

Sorry for the long post...just looking for some reassurance, tips, whatever I can get!
crimes on mud island? I don't hear that a lot. I have 7-8 friends that all stay on mud island while they were in med, optometry school. No one every complained about it being dangerous. You would see people jogging at night at the park.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:18 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
I had a great day in Memphis today and I was not a victim of crime!

Old 05-09-2009, 06:01 AM

79 posts, read 281,590 times
I have lived in the downtown core since 2000, and have only been the victim of panhandling. I know friends that have had their vehicles broken into, but that is in every city or everywhere for that matter.

You shouldn't have pandhandling issues in the Mud Island area.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:06 AM

42 posts, read 147,217 times
Don't be scared! Just because crime has happened to others doesn't mean that it is constantly lurking around every corner! Mud Island is a great community - I drive out there often to walk my dogs on the Greenbelt trail. It's just like any other big city - you must be aware of your surroundings. Memphis' high crime stats also come from the north and south areas of the city - which I highly doubt you will be considering - so don't let the numbers scare you too badly.

You also have to put people's lifestyles and where they live into perspective. Of course if you live in or near a lower income area you are going to be at a higher risk for criminal activity. East Memphis seems very safe and so does the Downtown/Uptown/Mud Island area. You will be fine!!!

Old 05-10-2009, 05:09 PM

Thanks yall! I had a quick bit of paranoia, but I think I am recovered. I am excited about my move! Cant wait!

Last edited by jmr193; 05-10-2009 at 05:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis