Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:00 PM

455 posts, read 1,558,617 times

Advertisements

I'm in agreement with those Mid-Town boundaries with a special exception for CBC of course.

Now, I don't know what exactly we do with the Fairgrounds. It doesn't have the "feel" of Mid-Town or east Memphis. So I tend to put it in with a special, larger area including Normal, Orange Mound and Buntyn (btw, once its own town and extremely old). It co-incides with the Messick/Melrose areas and I think should be considered historically distinct. A single name for it is elusive.

As to North Memphis, this IMO is by far the widest of all Memphis areas. I agree it is bordered on the south by Jackson its whole length and I'd even run that downtown along the Auction extension of Jackson. I'd call its west border the Mississippi River, and its north border roughly the Wolf River/I-40. I consider it as extending all the way eastward to the junction of I-40 and Jackson Avenue. You can even find a few businesses in that eastern most area starting with "north memphis" in their names. It's bi-sected by Chelsea most of the way east.

South Memphis? IMO it's bordered on the west by the Mississippi River (the old Ft. Pickering area), and on the south by I-240 today but in former times by Nonconnah Creek (on the other side of that is Whitehaven). I'd put the northern border as Crump Blvd (known in former times as Georgia Avenue) as extended along Lamar/Southern. The eastern boundary I consider East Parkway as extended south along Airways. For the approximate geographical center I nominate the corner of Orleans and Richmond, at which once stood the original South Side High School.

Last edited by Ginsaw; 05-11-2009 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:14 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Central Gardens is the heart of midtown! It fits all the criteria posters have mentioned on here regarding boundaries. Crosstown is west of Cleveland, however it is right there on Cleveland. I'd call it midtown. The boundaries I gave at least, are just generalizations for anyone new to the city and needing a rough estimate.

I would call South Memphis anything south of the loop. North Memphis...north of Jackson.
South Memphis is inside the loop. South of the loop would be Whitehaven, Westwood, Hickory Hill, etc. North Memphis is also inside the loop because north of the interstate is Frayser and Raleigh. Generally, North, South, and East Memphis are inside the loop, sometimes they spill outside of the loop, like in the case of East Memphis. I suppose other parts do as well.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:18 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
South Memphis is inside the loop. South of the loop would be Whitehaven, Westwood, Hickory Hill, etc. North Memphis is also inside the loop because north of the interstate is Frayser and Raleigh. Generally, North, South, and East Memphis are inside the loop, sometimes they spill outside of the loop, like in the case of East Memphis. I suppose other parts do as well.
I think the "loop" he was referring to was the Parkways loop: North Parkway, East Parkway, and South Parkway. At least that's how I interpreted it. And when I lived in Memphis, Midtown purists often told me that the Parkways pretty much delineated what they considered to be "midtown" (although I agree with others that maybe Jackson would be a better northern boundary since that would mean Rhodes would be part of Midtown).

Old 05-11-2009, 08:23 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I think the "loop" he was referring to was the Parkways loop: North Parkway, East Parkway, and South Parkway. At least that's how I interpreted it. And when I lived in Memphis, Midtown purists often told me that the Parkways pretty much delineated what they considered to be "midtown" (although I agree with others that maybe Jackson would be a better northern boundary since that would mean Rhodes would be part of Midtown).
O well I've never heard of the Parkway loop. I always use it to refer to the I-40/240 loop.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:55 PM

455 posts, read 1,558,617 times
I agree with Smtchll about I-40/I-240 as the loop for today's world. The Parkways served that purpose for a different time.

When I was young we tended to think of parts of town somewhat the same as where you went to high school. Central and Tech were Mid-Town, and so on. Also, for instance, you wouldn't use S. Parkway as the northern boundary for South Memphis because South Side High School was to its north. Another more current example is that it'd be awkward to use Highland as the western border of east Memphis because East High School is on Holmes, well to the west of Highland.

Just think, the "loop" will soon be 385.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis