Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 12:36 PM

165 posts, read 546,092 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Memphis in August to start grad school at U of M. I found an amazing, HUGE apartment (only downside is the window unit, but I'll deal) that is willing to take a deposit now and hold it for me all summer. It's $525 a month, no utilities included. Is this a pretty good price for a completely non-sketchy area of Midtown? I'm from a much smaller city where I get a 1 bedroom in a decent area of town for $375, so I'm kind of clueless. Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 01:06 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,320,565 times
That's pretty cheap, even for a small apartment. Midtown has a lot of bad areas that you don't want to live in (it has a lot of good areas too). So you really have to be careful when renting. What is the address? Or if you don't want to post that, what is the closest intersection?

Old 05-22-2009, 01:52 PM

It's on Rembert between Madison and Union. In this place's defense, it is about twice the size of where I live now. It's the cheapest one that I've found so far that I don't think would make my mother run away in horror.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:23 PM

The overall area of town is fine. But that particular street...while it is in no way "dangerous" or anything like that...is not the best area. hard to explain. You're right next to 2 highly trafficed roads in Madison and Union, and you have a lot of "odd" people who wander through that area. Bums, random oddballs. Between Madison and Union are a ton of very cheap apartment buildings crammed together, which doesn't make for a great scene. So not necessarily unsafe, but I would imagine you'd have a ton of noise from some not-so-great neighbors. Have you gone to see them? Right at Rembert and Union they are in the midst of tearing down a huge old church to build a fast food place (Chick fil a).

I would never, ever want someeone to rent an apartment in Memphis, especially midtown, without seeing it for yourself.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:43 PM

Yeah, I'm in town right now so I went and looked at it, and drove through the neighborhood several times at various hours. I can't believe they tore down a huge beautiful church to build a Chik-Fil-A, but other that that (and the insane notion of turning left onto Union) I didn't see anything that made me go "oh no, I don't want to live here!" I did see a lot of people kind of walking around on both Madison and Union, but the area doesn't look "dangerous" as you said. Thank you for your response...I am very excited and positive about moving to Memphis!

Old 05-22-2009, 02:48 PM

Good deal, if it looks good to you, that's all that matters. And you'll eventually be near some good chicken fast food! (That church being torn down has been a very sore subject for people in midtown.)

Old 05-24-2009, 09:20 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,365,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug35 View Post
It's on Rembert between Madison and Union. In this place's defense, it is about twice the size of where I live now. It's the cheapest one that I've found so far that I don't think would make my mother run away in horror.

If you don't mind loud trains the apartments on 2639 central ave are cheap and many students live there. A 2 bedroom goes for 550 or around that.
I used to live there a couple of months ago, The apartments are called Audubon downs apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis