Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 08:52 AM

21 posts, read 76,709 times

Advertisements

Using crime data compiled by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, NeighborhoodScout.com made a list of areas with the highest predicted rates of violent crime in the United States. Top 25.

#7 Memphis, Tenn. (Warford St./Mount Olive Rd.)

#11 Memphis, Tenn. (Bellevue Blvd./Lamar Ave.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 02:28 AM

51 posts, read 153,336 times
Chicago had what 4 or 5 in the top 25 that was surprising.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:22 AM

23 posts, read 60,480 times
I plan on moving down there soon, so where are those located (area-wise)?

Old 07-02-2009, 02:28 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,807 times
Warford/Mount Olive is in the North Memphis hood....just north of Chelsea.

Lamar/Bellevue is sort of south central Midtown.....just barely outside the Central Gardens area. Right near my old alma mater - Central High School Just goes to show how just a couple of blocks one way or another can make a lot of difference. Lamar/Bellevue, however, is not a residential area - it's commercial. There used to be an old motel on the southwest corner that was the location of a lot of the crime in the area.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:02 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,252 times
I have a hard time seeing Lamar and Bellevue as the second worst neighborhood in Memphis. I'm sure there are some bad things that go on within a few blocks west and south of the intersection, but it is an okay area to the east and north (not great right near there, but not horrible, and gets really nice within a half mile or so). My work takes me to many, many parts of this city that seem way worse to me. I realize this is close to where the Lemoyne Gardens and Lamar Terrace housing projects were located, but they have been torn down and replaced with better housing. Again, I'm sure there is crime in the area, but I can't believe it is the second worst in Memphis or the 11th worst in the United States.

The Warford/Mt. Olive area is another story. That area is full of gangbangers, walking dead crack heads, and general C.H.U.D., although I'd have said Chelsea and Hollywood is worse (just a bit to the south and west). I've worked in lots of bad parts of town, but there is an intersection in that area that I needed to visit, and I decided it wasn't safe to get out of the car so I drove away. Only time that has ever happened in Memphis. The folks on the corner just looked at me like they would like to kill me. Gave me the chills.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:26 PM

6 posts, read 55,629 times
Default What About Southaven....

I cannot seem to find any info about that city. I know it is in northern
Mississippi, but it is so close to Memphis. Any body know anything
about the safety and quality of life ?

Old 07-02-2009, 06:48 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,252 times
Southaven is a mature, first tier suburb. It has really nice areas and less nice areas. Crime has increased in recent years, but it is overall a very safe suburb. The biggest problem with Southaven is it's border with Memphis in the Whitehaven area (not a great part of town).

It has certainly lost some glow in recent years with the growth in Olive Branch and Hernando, but it seems generally fine to me. Kind of like other first tier suburbs (Bartlett and Germantown come to mind). Arlington and Lakeland have become the hot places over Bartlett and Collierville has a bit more allure to some than Germantown (although Germantown is the best suburb around Memphis). Bartlett, Germantown, and Southaven are still nice places, are safe, and in general offer more services than the newer suburbs. But they are getting older (both population and housing), so folks looking for the newest thing have moved on further south and east.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:39 PM

6 posts, read 55,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMGrad92 View Post
Southaven is a mature, first tier suburb. It has really nice areas and less nice areas. Crime has increased in recent years, but it is overall a very safe suburb. The biggest problem with Southaven is it's border with Memphis in the Whitehaven area (not a great part of town)..........
Thanks so much for your input. It was greatly informative and appreciated.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:05 AM

8 posts, read 49,539 times
Yeah can you give a direct link on your source? Bellevue over Frayser Blvd.? I think not, although I lived in Frayser most of my life and nothing has ever happened to me or my family's property. I know from first hand experience what happens at every OTHER house in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis