Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:10 AM
BWM BWM started this thread

60 posts, read 153,039 times

Advertisements

Pie in the sky but you never know...

Does anyone think that the Madison line would get a lot more riders if the following two things happened:

1) It were extended to Cooper, turned south on Cooper and ended just past Young. This would connect two major cultural/entertainment areas in Midtown with Downtown and I think more people would ride between the two areas. It would also probably help the "Edge" area which is slowly coming to life.

2) There would be some sort of mechanism in the tracks so when the trolley was approaching a traffic light, the light would turn green. The trolley would only really make stops at the trolley stops. That would make the trolleys go so much faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWM View Post
Pie in the sky but you never know...

Does anyone think that the Madison line would get a lot more riders if the following two things happened:

1) It were extended to Cooper, turned south on Cooper and ended just past Young. This would connect two major cultural/entertainment areas in Midtown with Downtown and I think more people would ride between the two areas. It would also probably help the "Edge" area which is slowly coming to life.

2) There would be some sort of mechanism in the tracks so when the trolley was approaching a traffic light, the light would turn green. The trolley would only really make stops at the trolley stops. That would make the trolleys go so much faster.
I definitely agree.

I know that at one point they were discussing extending the trolley line all the way to the airport but I don't think that would be feasible; it would take forever to take a clanky old trolley from the airport to downtown. But I definitely see the wisdom in extending the line through Overton Square and down to Cooper-Young.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:45 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
Going to the airport is a terrible idea, I don't know would use it. I barely want to drive my car thru that area of town, let alone be on a trolley with my luggage. Going to the Overton area would be very beneficial though. I can't imagine it would be too expensive to extend the line those few blocks to Overton (vs going to the airport or something else).

Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
Yes. And yes.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:41 AM

128 posts, read 462,025 times
Hey guys, this talk is nice for getting a feel of things. But who would you talk to get these ideas to someone who can do something? May directly? Some community representative? To the state represenative or senator?

I assume this would be handled on a local level.

Let's not just talk -- let's do something. Only then can we see if our elected officials are accomplishing anything.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:15 PM

209 posts, read 811,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWM View Post
I live in South Main and this drives me crazy. It would be so easy to do and it would improve trolley speeds and traffic flow.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:40 PM

38 posts, read 149,246 times
I agree with extending the tracks down to Cooper and then south down to Young Ave. And screw the trolleys. If the system expands we need actual light rail cars like the ones in Dallas.

Side note:
When various light rail routes to the airport were being studied a few years ago, Cooper street was considered to be a viable light rail corridor. But ultimately the Lamar Ave. corridor was selected due to the much-needed economic boost that was projected to accompany the light-rail addition.

Also, Cooper st. merchants feared their businesses would suffer much like the businesses along the Madison Ave. line suffered during that construction.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,478 times
Default Alternative Trolley Route

Has anyone considered extending the trolley down Madison to Parkway and going to Young?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:31 AM

129 posts, read 304,741 times
I would love it if the trolley was extended to Cooper. It ends in such an ackward spot on Madison. Even if you wanted to take it to Minglewood Hall, you would have to walk a block or two.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:10 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I definitely agree.

I know that at one point they were discussing extending the trolley line all the way to the airport but I don't think that would be feasible; it would take forever to take a clanky old trolley from the airport to downtown. But I definitely see the wisdom in extending the line through Overton Square and down to Cooper-Young.
It was the MATATRAC plan for expanding the Madison line. Cooper Young neighborhood objected to the trolley going there. It took years for them to get a plan together. If you want them to move back to Cooper Young, and impose a plan on an unaccommodating (at the time) neighborhood, that'll take more time, and, likely, tax dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: