Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:06 AM

165 posts, read 461,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWM View Post
So you are calling a black man an Uncle Tom after Obama was elected? Still in 2009??? Have we not gotten past this??? You call this city stagnant, and the number one reason for that is the racism you are espousing.
I will address you first. I am black. That's why I called Wharton an "Uncle Tom". Now, is Obama an "Uncle Tom"? Well, he is half white and half black so I don't hold him to that standard. But he will speak his mind more so than Wharton. And he's not even all black!! This city isn't stangnant due to people like me. It's stagnant because of people like you who are uncomfortable addressing race. You can't deny the racial divide in this city. And it isn't Herenton's doing. With all his many faults, at least he was man enough to be honest about the issue. Too bad he only spoke up when it was election time.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
Your facts are way off dude. Ford and Chism brought up that raise BS. And for your info, Mayors are suppose the lay people off if they need to. That is part of effective government. The government should not be a job factory. The county government was so messed up before he took office that there was nothing he really could do as county mayor. Route and his predecessors ran up so much debt that the county can barely function with the expensive debt payments. He has done a great job in just controlling and slightly reducing the debt without raising taxes. Who else in you opinion is an Uncle Tom? Pres. Obama, Oprah, Will Smith? That is what is wrong with the black community. There are more idiots calling people uncle tom and blaming white people for everything than holding black people to a higher standard and actually doing something positive for the community.
I never blamed white people for anything. Good thing I'm not one of those idiots.

I briefly addressed Barack Obama. As for Oprah, no. I believe she isn't an "Uncle Tom". But she is a cult leader. Will Smith is just corny at times. But I Am Legend is one of my favorite movies.

Yes, government should be efficient. But laying people off isn't always the answer. And that's all he's done. Shelby County runs itself. It's low maintenance. And mayors are supposed to bring new, fresh ideas that spark growth. That way you won't have to lay people off just so administrators can get raises. Wharton will not bring anything new or fresh to Memphis. He will "bring citizens together" by being a passive, docile yes-man.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMGrad92 View Post
Why would the fact that the white community is comfortable with Wharton make him unacceptable to the black community? Whether you believe it or not, it wasn't the comfort level of the black community with Herenton that made him unacceptable to the white community or anyone else. Middle class flight by all races is destroying Memphis, and it appears some would be content to see that continue rather than have a mayor that is acceptable to the white residents of Memphis.

The rhetoric from some in the black community in Memphis has amazed me with the special election and Herenton running against Cohen. I realize that old wounds don't heal quickly or easily, but the abject terror some live in about having a white politician represent the city is stunning.
I don't vote along color lines so most of your statement doesn't apply to me. And since I've been of voting age I've never voted for Herenton.

People are fleeing Memphis because of taxes, bad schools, and crime.

And how could anyone, white, black, or brown, be comfortable with a mayoral candidate who doesn't take a stance on anything?!?! That's puzzling to me.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:00 AM

379 posts, read 849,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Don't you just love Memphis?

And you know he'll win.
What the ?!*@#! Unbelievable. He said he was joining his son as a business partner. Why resign just to run again?

Old 08-14-2009, 09:47 AM

340 posts, read 1,314,630 times
Even if you don't like Mayor Wharton, see him as a docile "yes man", and think he lacks bold fresh ideas for change, is it really appropriate to use a racially charged term to describe him? Is that really helping address the race problem in the Memphis area?

There are similar racially charged terms that some ignorant white people use to describe white people and politicians who reach out the the black community. I view those terms in the same light as I view black people calling someone an "Uncle Tom." It is meant to offend, not educate and has no acceptable role or use.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:18 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
Mayor Wharton is a good guy. I don't think he's what Memphis needs in the long run, though. Memphis needs someone who won't be afraid to bring order to the house. Right now, imo, that person is Myron Lowery. Yes, he's been slapped around and beaten up by the courts and the City Council over the last few days, but at least he has shown that he's not afraid to shake things up.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
It is just ignorance and group think. Thankfully, there are many black people out there who are free thinkers and are not afraid to be there own person. These are the people who will vote on issues other than skin color. Unfortunately, many of these free thinking black people are fleeing Memphis for the suburbs in high numbers. It will take a generation of so for this ignorance to die off.
It's ironic how you use the phrase "free thinkers". You're probably supporting him for the same reason everyone else is. Which, by the way, no one can state. I know you want to believe your rationale is progressive thinking but really it isn't. It's socially acceptable. If that works for you, fine. But going along with the crowd so you won't offend people isn't necessarily the "right" thing to do. I have valid reasons for not supporting Wharton. This city needs a quick jolt. It needs to be catapulted ahead. We are behind other cities we shouldn't be. We don't need anymore leaders playing it safe. I haven't heard a progressive idea come out of Wharton's mouth since he's been in office.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:45 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuegeye View Post
I haven't heard a progressive idea come out of Wharton's mouth since he's been in office.
You are right about that, imo. I would also add that Mayor Wharton has overseen a budget fiasco (brought about by his policies, imo) that has driven the County into a worse financial situation than the City.

I still think he's a good guy. But being a good guy and 'not Willie' shouldn't be enough to get a person elected Mayor in a city the size of Memphis. A small town, yes. Memphis, no.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 PM

"I still think he's a good guy. But being a good guy and 'not Willie' shouldn't be enough to get a person elected Mayor..."

Thank you for making such an eloquent point. We're using Herenton as the standard for our litmus test. Also, if we judge based on performance alone, Wharton would do no better job than Herenton. Maybe if you could combine the good qualities of both you would have a more suitable mayor. Too many people from the older generation running for office being elected and reelected on name recognition alone. None have done a thing to change the way politics is ran in this town. Am I the only one sick of having to choose between the lesser of two evils?!?!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:54 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuegeye View Post
"I still think he's a good guy. But being a good guy and 'not Willie' shouldn't be enough to get a person elected Mayor..."

Thank you for making such an eloquent point. We're using Herenton as the standard for our litmus test. Also, if we judge based on performance alone, Wharton would do no better job than Herenton. Maybe if you could combine the good qualities of both you would have a more suitable mayor. Too many people from the older generation running for office being elected and reelected on name recognition alone. None have done a thing to change the way politics is ran in this town. Am I the only one sick of having to choose between the lesser of two evils?!?!
Excellent points. I don't know who I would vote for if I was a resident of the City of Memphis, but I do know that whoever is elected has a profound impact on the metro area. I hope whoever it is has a vision of a better future and the leadership skills to push that vision.

The entrenched interests from all walks of life will do whatever they can to make sure they keep their piece of the pie even if it is to the detriment of the city and metro area. It will take a strong leader to get enough people on board willing to put aside longing for the past or injuries from past wrongs. If there is someone out there who can convince the people of the city and metro area (black or white) that there is a better tomorrow and it is worth the hard work it will take to get there, I'm pulling for them. Anyone know someone like that who would be willing to run?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis