U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-29-2007, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,041 times
Default Moving to Memphis in May

Hey, my husband and I will move from Florida to Memphis. We are looking for a $200k-250k house. My husband will work for St Jude and I will work in a hospital close to I-240 and Germantown. We don't have kids now. Anyone could give us some suggestions on where to find a house? Also safety and convience to work are the biggest concerns to us. Thanks a million.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 02:19 PM

8,990 posts, read 20,938,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crytal View Post
Hey, my husband and I will move from Florida to Memphis. We are looking for a $200k-250k house. My husband will work for St Jude and I will work in a hospital close to I-240 and Germantown. We don't have kids now. Anyone could give us some suggestions on where to find a house? Also safety and convience to work are the biggest concerns to us. Thanks a million.
Well Saint Jude and Germantown aren't near each other at all, so if you want to be convenient to work, one of you is not going to be convenient to work. Or you could compromise and live somewhere in between such as Chickasaw Gardens (one of my favorite areas of Memphis). The area around White Station / Clark Tower is also very nice although a little less convenient to Saint Jude (but more convenient to Germantown).

I personally like some of the more historic neighborhoods in Midtown such as Central Gardens or Evergreen. It would be very convenient to Saint Jude, and actually from there to Germantown via Sam Cooper isn't very bad.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:12 PM

Thank you very much for your quick reply, JMT. We will think about Chickasaw Gardens. What about Mud Island? My husband went there once and likes the view of the mississippi river. From the map, if we buy a house on mudisland, I have to commute. How is the traffic on I-240?

Old 04-29-2007, 04:39 PM

3,381 posts, read 8,755,008 times
The commute between Germantown (where in germantown?) and Mud Island would be about 45 minutes minimum. The problem is, Germantown does not have easy interstate access. However, if you'll be right at I-240 (and...Poplar? Walnut Grove? That isn't really Germantown...) then it would be okay however they are doing INSANE horrible, horrible construction at 240 and WG, and it is an absolute traffic nightmare. IE I sat on a exit ramp for 30 minutes to get about 50 yard up the road one day. And it will go till 2008.

chickasaw is a beautiful area, great old homes, good homes, not the cheap crap on Mud Island. Yes, they may be pretty but there is a MAJOR termite problem on the island and a lot of these houses were built very quick, very cheaply, and aren't like the old sturdy homes you will see in Chickasaw. Chickasaw could be a little shorter of a commute for you though.

If you have kids, remember...you can't send them to public school here. That is the number thing to keep in mind when moving here

Old 04-29-2007, 05:20 PM

Thanks for your information. That's very helpful.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:48 PM

3,381 posts, read 8,755,008 times
Oh, and sorry...I just re-read your post and noticed you don't have kids. Sorry to bring that up then!

St. Jude employs close to 4,000 people now, and the majority don't live downtown. Most drive in a long ways everyday, to and from. Now, there are tons of good neighborhoods in town, but if you have a long commute, just beware that you won't be alone!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,859 times
Afternoon,

I am in the process of moving to the Memphis area by August. I have 3 children; one going to 9th, pre-k and Kindergaten. Please tell me which area you would recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis