Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:19 PM

242 posts, read 969,762 times

Advertisements

The only high rise I can think of would be the building of apartments across the street from the Crowne Plaze... I dont know how many stories it is... maybe 4?

Unless the poster is referring to the retirement center? I guess it is considered a high rise. It's not part of Uptown Square, but is right smack in the middle of the property. Uptowns property is divided by a road. I dont remember the street name. Anyways, half the property is on one side of the road and the other half on the other. The retirement building is on that road, on the corner, but not part of the complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 03:22 PM

51 posts, read 152,777 times
Default This is so true

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus10 View Post
pixiepony you are right. I think in Memphis we tend to exaggerate or sensationalize things. Based on my travels and experiences, Memphis is in no way as bad as some people make it out to be. I think alot can be contributed to the past Mayor and his long tenure here. Some people may no agree with it but that's just how I feel about it. But 98SS is right. Just be careful with Danny Thomas. It is a little shaddy. Just remember that the Police HQ's isn't to far away.
Living in Collierville for almost six months and working downtown, this is sotrue, people make it out to be a war zone, the city is great, no worse than major cities elsewhere in the country.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:15 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,334,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clobbersaurus01 View Post
Never heard of a high rise condo to be built there. Heard that the mud beneath the island risked even the existing houses. I'm not a negative ninny. I'd be excited to learn of any high rises. I question whether Mud Island would be the locale though, just seems out of character.

Also, where is the Uptown Square high rise?

If there's a high rise that should be built, it should be the Trinity design from a few years back. One of the rare actual modern architectural gems that have been proposed for Memphis, unlike Peabody Place tower and others. Memphis deserves not just high rises, but architecturally noteworthy high rises. JMO. Sorry for the tangent.
uptown square, going north on danny thomas, is located to the left of danny thomas. it is on the south side of I 40, while st. jude is located directly north across I 40. there is a planned highrise office building on the north side of I 40 toward the pyramid, about 3 or 4 blocks from the present st. jude campus. you can see the complete master plan of the downtown central business district on line if you search "master dev, memphis." they show 2 or 3 very large skyscrapers in that area of front street and mud island park. pm me and i will give you the specific ip address.

and, i am w/ you, let's get out of the 12-18 story range for downtown center. memphis has to be in the running for its excessive number of lowrise to midrise buildings. i am proud that most of the 19th and 20th century buildings have been left and renovated; however, w/ each new 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 story building being built, in addition to what exists, downtown is beginning to resemble a cylindrical block. other than washington dc---memphis has to be #2 or #3 out of the top 20 largest american cities w/ the shortest skyline. what is more irritating to me is the fact that what is portrayed as downtown is not showing 1/3 to 1/2 of the downtown area. the 32 story pyramid is usually left out on shots taken from the hernando-desoto bridge, along w/ st. jude, the uptown square building, and all of the medical center. if the south bluffs are viewed from the river, the horizon tower, the rivermark condominium tower, and everything situated east-northeast to the medical center is not shown.

i fail to understand why good, clear, and accurate pictures are not available for this city. in my opinion, the best views of the entire skyline do not rest from the river looking east. so much of the city is never seen, and the same is true of midtown. i realize that memphis has a dual core, however, i would like to see decent pictures of all downtown w/ its major landmark buildings. w/ todays technology, i would think a camera is available to get in some all inclusive shots of downtown from cleveland to the river. most cities seem to invest in getting beautiful shots of their locations, i would like to see memphis do the same.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:02 PM

597 posts, read 2,100,214 times
I live in Nashville, but have been a fan of photographer Bill Cobb of Kansas City for a long while. Check this link out and I believe you'll find some remarkable photos of Memphis. And when your done with that, there's many, many other places to explore as well. This guy is amazing. And so are the photos.

Enjoy.

- City Skyline Photography Prints, Canvas, Digital Stock - Black & White or Color Digital Stock Art
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis