Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:52 AM

50 posts, read 260,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepony View Post
In fact we walked back to Crowne PLaza from the Cheesecake Corner at 11 pm. Sat we walked back to the hotel at 1 am. Not once were we uncomfortable.

You know the saying, "Ignorance is bliss"? What you don't know can skew you, so take heed and listen to the advice that you definitely want to give it some time before drawing a premature conclusion of an area. Don't assume those areas are given a bad rep for no reason, until you've been there a while.

Not trying to steer you away from Uptown, because frankly, I can't comment on those. But considering what I know of that general area, I'd be timid about saying, "Oh, that area is just fine" based on a single experience. Over the years, I've seen too many shady people walking on Danny Thomas for my taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,644 times
So what part of memphis is safe, because i really want to know. I have also been looking at the uptown, midtown areas. Can anyone help me out because im not trying to get hurt or anything. Also i was lookin at the cordova, Bartlett area and they are high as hell. I need a safe place to live but not to dam high.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:15 AM

340 posts, read 1,314,736 times
If Bartlett and Cordova are too high for you, I think you are in trouble trying to find a safe area to live in the Memphis area. Perhaps somewhere in Southaven or Horn Lake? Maybe Millington?

Old 10-18-2009, 06:27 PM

242 posts, read 974,633 times
after our weekend stay there, we still felt fine. I wouldnt say ignorance is bliss, but more everyone is different and view things differently. Sure it's a city and has a city life style and comes with all the wonderful things city life does... including crime. However, this is the life i was raised in, so it's not like we are coming fresh off the farm. :-)

Old 10-18-2009, 09:18 PM

369 posts, read 1,232,869 times
pixiepony you are right. I think in Memphis we tend to exaggerate or sensationalize things. Based on my travels and experiences, Memphis is in no way as bad as some people make it out to be. I think alot can be contributed to the past Mayor and his long tenure here. Some people may no agree with it but that's just how I feel about it. But 98SS is right. Just be careful with Danny Thomas. It is a little shaddy. Just remember that the Police HQ's isn't to far away.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMGrad92 View Post
If Bartlett and Cordova are too high for you, I think you are in trouble trying to find a safe area to live in the Memphis area. Perhaps somewhere in Southaven or Horn Lake? Maybe Millington?
Millington yea right if you want to get blown up with all the meth labs they keep busting up there.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:55 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monte585 View Post
Millington yea right if you want to get blown up with all the meth labs they keep busting up there.
They got one in Collierville yesterday also > So where you gonna go now >

Old 10-24-2009, 03:58 PM

235 posts, read 1,357,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus10 View Post
Just remember that the Police HQ's isn't to far away.
Which isn't always a bad thing I still think that is what they should've done to the Mall of Murder.. there's lots of crime in the Perkins-American Way area

However, if anyone considering something along Perkins (north of 240, south of Sam Cooper), don't rule it out! Just try and not be on one of the roads in that area (except for 240).

Old 10-28-2009, 12:08 AM

173 posts, read 443,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepony View Post
we were limited based on a large dog moving with us. Arbors at Harbor Town were the only Mud Island apts to accept large pets and we could barely afford a 2 bed there. At Uptown Sq we could afford a 3, with a patio!

Actually Pearlbob, the Trolley picks up at the Marriot, which is one block from the apartments. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza and Uptown Sq was right across the street from us. The other side of Crowne PLaza was Marriott. So a 1 block walk to cathc the TRolley... no big deal. In fact we walked back to Crowne PLaza from the Cheesecake Corner at 11 pm. Sat we walked back to the hotel at 1 am. Not once were we uncomfortable. There was so much traffic, especially earlier in the evening. Now we know the times it picks up, so we can make sure we dont have to walk home... Because seriously, I dont care how safe it is... I dont want to walk that far!!! HA!

We drove all around Uptown, the entire weekend, at various times. Not once did we find the area iffy. The Uptown housing area offers equal opportunity housing and even that area was very well kept and very quiet, at all times. I would have been fine living there (though we would not qualify).

Like I said I love downtown living. That's just me. It's not for everyone and that's fine! I totally get why people like the suburbs and such. I just prefer a life style close to the action. I dont love high rise living (with a large dog you have to walk, who would??) , so this was a perfect middle. Seriously this place is QUIET! We stayed directly across the street from them and we were up at all hours. I made sure to check it out alot and there was never anyone odd walking around, in fact there was little to no traffic (car or foot) except residents pulling in or out of the complex. It's also gated. So that helps.
Hey, don't know if you found this yet: Uptown Memphis - Home Page. It may help you meet folks and get situated.

Best wishes.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:12 AM

173 posts, read 443,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
a friend from b'ham was visiting me last weekend. she commented on the attractiveness of the uptown square highrise and the attractiveness of st. jude and the pinch district. the only comment made by her that was in any way negative was made when we were on the island, and she looked at a condo slashed to $456,000. it was her first time to visit the island, and she loved it. i told her that she might want to wait until the highrise condo is built on the island...perhaps a little bit less expensive. i could not point out where it was going to go up. no sign up on the north end or south. does anyone know?
Never heard of a high rise condo to be built there. Heard that the mud beneath the island risked even the existing houses. I'm not a negative ninny. I'd be excited to learn of any high rises. I question whether Mud Island would be the locale though, just seems out of character.

Also, where is the Uptown Square high rise?

If there's a high rise that should be built, it should be the Trinity design from a few years back. One of the rare actual modern architectural gems that have been proposed for Memphis, unlike Peabody Place tower and others. Memphis deserves not just high rises, but architecturally noteworthy high rises. JMO. Sorry for the tangent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis